Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lan Kwai Fong - Hong Kong

Hey guys,

just finished a small just for fun video. I scored a 50mm f1.4 Nikon lens yesterday evening and went filming with it in Lan Kwai Fong afterwards.

Freaking rocks in low light. Nearly all ISO 100 and the yellow stuff at the end ISO800.

Very odd combination of shots an music. But that's how this place is.

Let me know what you think!

Music by Gimbal and Sinan:

Gimbal & Sinan - Revolver

visit http://www.sincinaty.com

Last edited by Simon Höfer; 10-11-2009, 07:31 AM.
    DVXUSER TimeFest!

It could be me, but for some reason, im seeing lots of noise artifacts in the clip,esp at the first few shots...it could be me..

Comment

Cool. I will be going to Hong Kong next year to visit my Lady's family and eventually we will live there for a couple of years. Looks like a cool place. I think what sammysammy might be referring to is the lens bokeh seems a little grainy. But that is what can give a lens flavor. The compression can do all kinds of things to a bokeh also. I think this looks good and it makes me get more excited about visiting Hong Kong.
      www.burningcrowpictures.com

Comment

@Sammy: Did you download the original wmv file? The original should not be noisy.

To my dissatisfaction the lens seems to be a bit soft though. Are there any differences in the Nikkor series? It just says 50mm f1.4.
        DVXUSER TimeFest!

Comment

i will do that..simon, do you have the one with the silver edge part, and its kind of heavy and bulky? like this
          http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-NIKKOR-S-5...item5635ffe40a

i also have this, i tend to use the 50mm 1.8 more as to me its more sharper and less flare and ghosting

but im still not 100% liking it..what do you guys like in the fast 35-55mm range that is not too expensive?it does not have to be a nikon..

Comment

Originally posted by sammysammy View Post
            It could be me, but for some reason, im seeing lots of noise artifacts in the clip,esp at the first few shots...it could be me..
            The lens has some grain to it but I think what you are noticing is that the clip has HD off. If you view it on Vimeo(with HD on)it looks better. Although I am wondering if the fact that it is WMV is adding any compression artifacts.

Comment

i will do that..simon, do you have the one with the silver edge part, and its kind of heavy and bulky? like this
              http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-NIKKOR-S-5...item5635ffe40a

i also have this, i tend to use the 50mm 1.8 more as to me its more sharper and less flare and ghosting

but im still not 100% liking it..what do you guys like in the fast 35-55mm range that is not too expensive?it does not have to be a nikon..
              It hasn't got the silver edge, but a silver ring. I will probably sell it someday. Too soft and too much ghosting for my taste.
              DVXUSER TimeFest!

Comment

I'd say it's the way it was compressed for the web, I've shot a lot of night time stuff in lesser light than that with the kit lens and it looks cleaner, so I'd say web compression is a serious culprit.
                http://www.roryblanchard.com

Comment

There is definitely something weird on the web compression there, lots of macro blocking especially on the bokeh areas. What was your work flow?

Comment

wmv compression is fairly efficient, though at the compromise of quality. try exporting to mp4 (mpeg 4 part 10), h.264 (same thing different name), or avchd 720p30 (also pretty much the same thing). i used to use wmv and still do, when quality of image is less important than compatibility (such as when embedding the video into a powerpoint)

Comment

Working...
                    X