X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is being broadcast and yes, 25p.
    My GH1 shorts are here: http://vimeo.com/marttiekstrand/videos

Comment

Looks great. Did you change the Film Mode settings depending on daytime vs night shots? The shot at 0:19 ("You Don't Have to Say You Love Me") has super clean blacks. Just wondering if you did anything special in-camera to tweak that or not. What was your ISO range for the different shots?
      Check out my short films on Vimeo

Comment

Nice work, Martti. Which Micro 4/3's adapter do you use?

Comment

This made my day. Those guys rock. hehe. Nice job.
          www.burningcrowpictures.com

Comment

Originally posted by Oedipax View Post
            Looks great. Did you change the Film Mode settings depending on daytime vs night shots? The shot at 0:19 ("You Don't Have to Say You Love Me") has super clean blacks. Just wondering if you did anything special in-camera to tweak that or not. What was your ISO range for the different shots?
            Smooth mode, contrast -2, sharpness +1, saturation 0, noise reduction -2.

Now I'm not going to pretend the clips looked as you see them right out of the camera. I've done - as I always do regardless of source - some massaging with colour correction and post processing in After Effects to create a final and unified look.

Blacks come out pretty clean from GH1 regardless of ISO and then super clean blacks were done with a combo of applying Remove Grain and clipping off the last 1-2% with Levels in After Effects depending on exposure. To handle that due to the 4:2:0 chroma subsampling the red channel is basically half resolution and shows pixelation on hard edges I stuck a Adjustment Layer on top of all, set it to blend mode 'Color' and applied a 1.5 pixel Channel Blur on red - this blurs the red chroma without affecting luma sharpness much. Then on top of that I had a final Adjustment Layer with Film Grain emulating Kodak Vision 250D but I backed of it's Intensity to 0.75, Saturation to 0.5 and Application Shadow 0.1 which knocks off any small codec edging/blocks plus give a nicer ... umm ... film look.

Then on a clip by clip basis I adjusted contrast, colour balance and saturation by using Curves, Color Balance and Hue/Saturation and extra fixes as needed. For example the close-up with the accordeon needed some animated masking to bring out the shadow side of his face since the sun came out of a thin cloud between that one and the other takes - I just didn't have time to get a reflector in place to help the exposure there. Shown in pictures attached and as you can see I also cocked up white balance badly in the entire sequence due to the rush nature of the shoot so had to warm up the takes considerably.

Only special thing I did at the "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" section is I applied Trapcode Starglow with very short Streak Length, 4 pixels to have some extra zing on the highlights.

Note that I've done all the CC looking on a broadcast monitor. Computer monitors are way too linear and can often fool you to push contrast to high for looking good on television sets plus lift to much detail and colour in the deep blacks. Panasonic has done a pretty good job of adapting the GH1 video for TV viewing IMNSHO.

Originally posted by SignalPix View Post
            Nice work, Martti. Which Micro 4/3's adapter do you use?
            I have the ciecio7 FD adapter, excellent little bit of gear.
            Attached Files

Comment

Kul att få göra en dansbandspot som det första betalda jobbet

Comment

Originally posted by editman View Post
                Kul att få göra en dansbandspot som det första betalda jobbet
                Hey watch it....no cursing allowed !!

Comment

Now I'm not going to pretend the clips looked as you see them right out of the camera. I've done - as I always do regardless of source - some massaging with colour correction and post processing in After Effects to create a final and unified look.
                  Great job. It shows that you can play around with the GH1 source footage and get excellent results.

Comment

Nice job om detta, kommer det att bli intressant att se vad du gör med kameran i ett år från nu.

Comment

Thanks very much for that super informative post, Martti!
                      Check out my short films on Vimeo

Comment

Great job Martti, made me pee my pants, very funny. Great information on your ninja post workflow too.
                        Adrian

Comment

Can you tell us a little about your rig?

Please tell us what kind of rig you had attached to the GH1? Stunningly beautiful video.

Thank you.

Comment

Awesome post, awesome stuff. I want to see this guy singing, "You don't have to say you love me"...the whole thing. When is the music video, hahaha?

Really interesting how you can make things pop in post with a little thought put into it.
                            Stuart Hooper

Comment

Originally posted by elko99 View Post
                              Please tell us what kind of rig you had attached to the GH1? Stunningly beautiful video.
                              Thanks!

Unfortunately I hadn't gotten my follow focus and grip handles delivered when I shot this one so I had to barrel focus and for the handheld parts I used this simple Manfrotto shoulder brace (without a monopod).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Brace_for.html

And I use this tripod that I've had for ten years or so, now brand name is called Libec, when I got it was Heiwa.

http://cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/lib...50_tripod.html

For some reason it's sold under another model number in US.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ge_Tripod.html

These guys play at least 150 concerts a year mostly clocking in at 4 hours or so, they don't need videos for promotion which is why I only did small sections for each song so unfortunately you won't see the whole song.

Comment

Great stuff Martti...

Comment

Working...
                                X