Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took my GH1 paragliding.

Took my GH1 paragliding.
    I’m still quite a newbee for this photo-/videography stuff, so good tips would be appreciated.
    I’m quite happy with the stills;

These are basically point and shoots in P - “Programme AE Mode”, JPEG + RAW, under exposed by 2/3s, ISO100, with kit lens & cir polarizer and during a flight with little time to play around with slight correction in SilkyPic.

Some video is available in;
    http://www.vimeo.com/6224988

I’m bit worried about the color banding clearly visible in the cloud at 2:00 and in the sky e.g. at 3:17. The banding is less visible in the original .m2ts, but is still there. More visible after the slight color correction in post.
    Any idea what is causing this color banding (or what should this artifact be called anyway)? Circular Polarizer?, low AVCHD bit rate (shot at 720p 50fps)? Anything that could be done to improve this?
    Note that the last still was shot just before the clip starting at 3:08. The still does not have the issue, the clip has.

So any advice how to improve my outdoor sports stills & video, shooting or post would be very much appreciated.

Its not the polarizer, its the compression. If you convert the files to a 16bit (per channel) format before doing any color correction, you will have a lot more wiggle room to CC and will experience less banding.

Comment

Very unique perspective. I would try to use some filters (post production) to tone down the blues and haze.
      Uwe Steinmueller

http://www.outbackphoto.com/index_news.html

Comment

That landscape is beautiful. I may have to take up paragliding now.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

If you convert the files to a 16bit (per channel) format before doing any color correction, you will have a lot more wiggle room to CC and will experience less banding.
          I did all the post work in Edius 5 as this supports native AVCHD editing and I thought this would give the best results. Lossless AVI used as render format. Which format would you recommend converting the clips? Any recommended utilities for this?
          I will at least give a try to converting to AVCHD to Canopus HQ fine and see if that makes a difference.

…try to use some filters (post production) to tone down the blues and haze.
          Yes, definitely want to experiment with some post filters. I actually pulled up the blues a bit in post to get blue skies for some little bit washed out scenes, but perhaps over did this a bit. Now, I just have to find this haze filter in Edius…

Comment

So awesome when you get up there. That is some good footage and the gliding makes it look easy to get a nice smooth shot..... You should sell some aerials as b-roll footage.
            The Last Cut Video Productions

http://www.lastcut.com

Comment

Originally posted by kassu View Post
              I did all the post work in Edius 5 as this supports native AVCHD editing and I thought this would give the best results. Lossless AVI used as render format. Which format would you recommend converting the clips? Any recommended utilities for this?
              No NLE edits native compressed format. All editing programs decompress original video into uncompressed form, which usually has 8 bits per color, 24 bit per pixel -- "truecolor". This is barely enough for presentation and often is not enough for editing. You want to use deep color for intermediate video, so many NLEs offer this feature.

This is orthogonal to converting original clips into intermediate format.

Comment

WOW!!! Amazing stuff, I couldn't do it, I peed my wants just watching it, not really, ok kind of.

Appreciate the song too
                sigpic
                Rakesh Jacob : writer director cinematographer editor (wannabe auteur)
                www.vimeo.com/infopimps Check out some of my work
                www.youtube.com/ipimpstv Over 7.9mil views

Comment

Working...
                X