He's up, he's gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's up, he's gone

Experimenting with lowlight shots, very dim bar.
    GH1 at ISO 1000
    1/50 and Tokina FD 24mm f2.8

The glow from the bar is acting as the key light,
    two TV's are the backlight

Playaz talking stories about the one that got away ...
    He's up, he's gone
    ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtoL1t7aLnI&fmt=22

Actor Improv - JAVIER MARQUEZ
    Concept - JHOE DAVIS & JAVIER MARQUEZ
    Cinematography - JHOE DAVIS

We had a lot of fun making this one. Hope you get a laugh ... enjoy.
    Last edited by J Davis; 07-10-2009, 05:01 PM. Reason: correcting lens record, fstop, focal length
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Vimeo added ---> http://vimeo.com/5516934
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Comment

wow ... no comments but a lot of views. Feedback welcome people ...

Audio is recorded on the H4 and synced BTW
      Last edited by J Davis; 07-10-2009, 05:04 PM.
      J.Davis
      jdMAX.com

Comment

I thought it was choice. Gives me faith that VDSLRs will be gr8 for corporate interviews and testimonials across desks in available office light...or maybe after hours over cocktails. Did you use the built in H4 stereo mics? Did you have the H4 mounted on the camera or what?
        "All i need in a camera is out there, just not in the same body at the same time. :-) " mattsand

Comment

Sound was Rode NTG-2 mic through Sound Devices MM1 pre amp then to H4.
          No boom, I held the mic shockmount just below frame by hand.
          Actually the H4 was mounted on top of the GH1 but only because I had nowhere else to put it and I knew it wouldn't get bumped up there.

Bar was pretty much empty so got a good voice recording, all the crowd voices and background house beat was added later.
          J.Davis
          jdMAX.com

Comment

The audio turned out really good on this one. Is the H4 fairly easy to use and sync up in post?

Comment

Originally posted by robzoo View Post
              The audio turned out really good on this one. Is the H4 fairly easy to use and sync up in post?
              Its okay, the screen is a little hard to see, also you need to be vigilant about remembering to slate every shot. Especially when you have 30 takes in the cam and the H4.
              There is an issue with slippage during sync. On any clip over 2 minutes you will need to time stretch the audio to maintain sync. I wrote about it in this thread
              http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=175358
              J.Davis
              jdMAX.com

Comment

It looks good. Not the sharpest I've seen from this camera, but definitely still looks good. Any post done as far as color correcting?

I'm downloading the QT file now, and I'm going to mess with the levels/curves a bit to see if I can't make it *pop* a little more...

Comment

Originally posted by ryan brown View Post
                  I'm going to mess with the levels/curves a bit to see if I can't make it *pop* a little more...
                  I t was very dark shooting conditions, brightest thing in the bar was the TV that you see in the background. At 1000 ISO and with only a f2.8 lens I was really pushing the cam to its limits.
                  J.Davis
                  jdMAX.com

Comment

Oh yeah... I know. I was just wondering if you did anything in post to help it out a bit. Here's a screengrab with the original (top), and then one where I just adjusted the white curve a tad. The color's a little off, but I didn't mess with that... I just wanted to see how it would hold up with the curve adjustment. Looks good to me.

Original:

With slight curve adjustment:

-brown

Comment

Hot spots start to float, skin starts to posterize tho ...
                      I don't mind that it's dark image, its POV so dark image goes with a dark bar feeling.

EDIT: I did do a little post BTW, mostly to de-strength a ghost created by the lens off the TV,
                      its still there but faint. Also raised the midtones as far as I could (maybe by 10% mid frame oval vignette).
                      His face was originally about as dark as the background frame left.
                      Last edited by J Davis; 08-26-2009, 10:38 AM.
                      J.Davis
                      jdMAX.com

Comment

Word.

I'm still up in the air about this camera, hence the questions. If I get it, it'd just be for personal stuff and fun projects... but I'm not sure if it's worth the investment at this point.

I just hate having my SGpro mounted to the HMC150. It's such a pain to do ANYTHING that I find myself not shooting as much as I should. I'm thinking with a cam like this, I'd get out there a lot more and make it happen. Do more personal projects and not just work.

Anyway, good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan brown View Post
                          Word.

I'm still up in the air about this camera, hence the questions. If I get it, it'd just be for personal stuff and fun projects... but I'm not sure if it's worth the investment at this point.

I just hate having my SGpro mounted to the HMC150. It's such a pain to do ANYTHING that I find myself not shooting as much as I should. I'm thinking with a cam like this, I'd get out there a lot more and make it happen. Do more personal projects and not just work.

Anyway, good stuff.
                          I was in the same boat as you and then I realized ... hey this cam is fairly inexpensive ... may as well get it so I won't be wondering. I am so glad I did.
                          You should too ... buy it to kill the mystery. Demand for them is high enough so hopefully you can flip it later without losing too much.
                          J.Davis
                          jdMAX.com

Comment

Working...
                          X