GH1 at the carnival - with Canon FDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH1 at the carnival - with Canon FDs

Second day with the camera. Took some shot's at the Carnival of Cultures in Berlin with the stock lens and Canon FD 28mm f2.0, 50mm f1.4 and 135mm f 2.0
    ISO 100 and high shutter - I haven't had enough NDs.
    Slightly color corrected.

Very enjoyable camera - especially with manual lenses.
    No fo%6ing joysticks. No cellphone tricks
    battery holds forever.

Edited in Premiere 4.1 (great update!)

http://vimeo.com/5033677

Beautiful
    www.paulgandersman.com

Comment

Excelent. You forgot to mention the format: 720p or 1080p?

Comment

Fantastic. Great work, that's the kind of test that makes me feel better about my GH1 order.
        Now entering year 6 of video production. Wheeee.
        www.tylertv.net

Comment

Thats the point. We want to see how good the GH1 is. And looking at pieces like this we can start seeing the positive side. This is only the begining.

Comment

Great stuff! I totally agree with John "This is what we want to see" I am so tired of measurebaters and just want to see footage and hear feedback from shooters.
            Matzeb thanks for the effort and the shots! Hope mine arrives before thursday! I leave for two weeks on Friday.
            Brian Murphy
            Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
            Sony FS5 MKII-Sony FX-6 (on order) - Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii -Sony A6400/A6000
            Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
            Sigma 24-70/F2.8 Art
            Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
            DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
            DJI Mavic Mini
            Konovas motorized slider kit.
            Teradek Vidiu kit-PFY Eagle Eye/iPad mini 5

Comment

WOW that is absolutely amazing footage! please tell me that was 1080 so I dont have to worry about this 'mud' issue anymore. I saw plenty of pans and whips in your footage and it looked beautiful! Great work. This just sealed the deal for me! I was just looking at some HMC150 footage and this video blew all of them out of the water, say what you want about hmc150's higher bitrate but this footage was amazing

Comment

Looks f---ing good!!!!
                The shots on the juggler are amazing looking. And the 100 iso isn't as bad as some had predicted, unless 320 iso is just that much better

Pretty sure that was all 720p AVCHD from the way he was going in and out of slomo, and also from what I've been able to surmise from looking at way too many clips... and measurebating non stop! In this case I actually could go blind
                Last edited by Rakesh Jacob; 06-06-2009, 07:42 PM.
                sigpic
                Rakesh Jacob : writer director cinematographer editor (wannabe auteur)
                www.vimeo.com/infopimps Check out some of my work
                www.youtube.com/ipimpstv Over 7.9mil views

Comment

hey MatzeB what kind of canon lens did you use? Can you send me a link to the lens you used! I sure want to buy that one! and Nice work again!

Comment

Originally posted by tackleqb View Post
                    hey MatzeB what kind of canon lens did you use? Can you send me a link to the lens you used! I sure want to buy that one! and Nice work again!
                    hey bro, i was wondering the same thing and just reread his post.

these are the ones he used: Canon FD 28mm f2.0, 50mm f1.4 and 135mm f 2.0.

Comment

Nice shots and color grading.
                      twitter / website / vimeo / youtube / flickr

Comment

Simply awesome job Matzeb! Showing both how GH1 is excellent for documentary stuff and how filmic this camera can look - even on high shutter speeds which surprised me. Brilliant music choice btw.
                        My GH1 shorts are here: http://vimeo.com/marttiekstrand/videos

Comment

Lovely work!

Which Canon adaptor have you got?
                          Nathan Williams - Documentary Film Maker
                          Loves the Lumix GH5 / Blender / DJI Mini 2
                          www.nwilliams.co.uk

Comment

thanks guys

It's mostly 720/50p AVCHD. About 20% are 1080/25p resized and 2 shots are 720 cropped out of 1080.

Focussing with the Canon was a challenge. I'm glad this camera is not full-frame. A 28mm at 2.8 is shallow enough for my taste. The EVF is very good, but in a run and gun situation color peaking would make it easier.
                            A lot of shot's are not really spot on. Next time I shoot at f4.

Zebras would be great, but I just used the Histo and it worked well.

Film mode was "smooth" with everything dialed down to -2.

The stock lens is technically propably the better lens. High contrast and sharp.
                            The Canon FDs have lower contrast. I prefer the organic look of the Canons.
                            See the back of the head at 00:30 - Canon FD 28mm at f2.0 or 2.8 - don't remember. The stock lens needs some filtering for my taste.

It's about 30% stock lens - 70% Canon FD.
                            The juggler is 720/50p with Canon FDs only.

Comment

Originally posted by nathankw View Post
                              Which Canon adaptor have you got?
                              Had no time to get one. I kind of ghetto rigged them with a c-mount adapter and some other parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X