Night Footage inside GH1 Private folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, Hunter was right

Anything under 1/60 Shutter in SH (720/60P) is actually 30 with doubled fields.

That means if Sonic shot ANYT 720 footage under 1/60 shutter it's not actually 60P.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

Comment

It's sort of like how we get a faux 30p when using 60i. You just shoot at a 1/30 shutter while in 60i...and wala...you have a faux 30p image. So what Hunter states for 60p makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by chicago View Post
        SonicStates you rule! It would be really awesome to see some raw clips w/ all settings in Manual and no zooming. It seems that continuously adjusting multiple settings overburdens the camera, and the image is degraded as the result.

Using auto-anything is usually not recommended in any professional applications since that takes creative control from the shooter. Finally, total manual control over video is by far the biggest advantage this cam has over the 5d so lets see what it can do!

Here's what I'd love to see (if anyone agrees or has any suggestions, please speak up):

In a controlled environment (with minimal light changes), set up a tripod and focus the camera on a group of colorful objects w/ lots of detail(s). Set everything to manual, (including WB, focus, ISO, etc.), and select the most normal mode (no vivid etc.,) Adjust aperture so that the least amount of the image is blown out. Shoot 10 sec clips of the following:

1 static wide @ lowest ISO @ 1080/24
        1 wide pan @ lowest ISO @ 1080/24
        1 static CU @ lowest ISO @ 1080/24
        1 CU rack focus @ lowest ISO @ 1080/24
        1 CU pan @ lowest ISO @ 1080/24
        1 static wide @ highest ISO @ 1080/24
        1 wide pan @ highest ISO @ 1080/24
        1 static CU @ highest ISO @ 1080/24
        1 CU rack focus @ highest ISO @ 1080/24
        1 CU pan @ highest ISO @ 1080/24

1 static wide @ lowest ISO @ 720/60
        1 wide pan @ lowest ISO @ 720/60
        1 static CU @ lowest ISO @ 720/60
        1 CU rack focus @ lowest ISO @ 720/60
        1 CU pan @ lowest ISO @ 720/60
        1 static wide @ highest ISO @ 720/60
        1 wide pan @ highest ISO @ 720/60
        1 static CU @ highest ISO @ 720/60
        1 CU rack focus @ highest ISO @ 720/60
        1 CU pan @ highest ISO @ 720/60

Then, compress and upload the folder untouched. I think that will provide a really comprehensive look at the camera. Thanks in advance!

A-a-hahahaha...

That's not a very nice list to get back from after running around for work/DVXUSer I can't promise to have it done today but I'll give it a shot Saturday arvo.

In the meantime you footage hungry beasts (back, I tell you, back! <whip crack>) I'll put up a link of the next round of footage...give me an hour or so to type out the settings used (I tried to get what Isaac, Mico and GreGory were after but we'll see how I fared...it was bright as hell today and the LCD had real trouble punching through the glare). Didn't have a great deal of time to play so that's why white balance was set to auto.

Please also note the first 4 shots are basically of the inside of my studio because it was peeing down last night...I don't know how useful they'll be but anyway.

12 shots - I haven't even looked at them so, if that isn't private enough for FCP then I don't know what is! I formatted the card beforehand so they are all in sequence etc.

Be right back...in an hour or so

PS...for my "homework" what shutter speed should I be looking at for the 720 and 1080 stuff
        sigpic

"Circles" Thread HERE

"Circles" Facebook fan page HERE

'Money talks they say. All it ever said to me was "Goodbye."' - Cary Grant

Comment

Should I start a new thread with this new stuff?
          sigpic

"Circles" Thread HERE

Comment

It's ready and small it is not...610MB...
            As mentioned 12 shots, you can get the info in a text doc. here:
            http://gh1.dark-stone.com/sam/Intact...ettingsSam.txt

Here is the latest footage:
            http://gh1.dark-stone.com/sam/Intact/PRIVATE.rar

I'll make it's own thread for others to access also.

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a pro so bear with any F-ups on my journey to become better.

The first four shots were done in my studio (audio) so forgive the monotony...at least you can have some music to listen to while seeing my space...4 different settings (see link)

The next lot were done at Nagoya station (got some blue sky for GreGory) with a combination of static shots (hand held), soft, medium and nauseatingly fast, hello-jello pans (although I don't really know how they turned out because I haven't seen any of this stuff yet). All done in 1080

As per usual, a big hats off to Daniel...my welcome must surely be running out after this upload ;)

Enjoy...and next stop is the LIST chicago kindly put together to make sure I wasn't bored on Saturday afternoon...at work. Nah, seriously I really enjoy getting more intimate with this cam...it's been a pleasure so far except for the lens cap which drives me crazy.

Cheers,
            Sam.
            sigpic

"Circles" Thread HERE

Comment

Originally posted by SonicStates View Post
              A-a-hahahaha...

That's not a very nice list to get back from after running around for work/DVXUSer I can't promise to have it done today but I'll give it a shot Saturday arvo.

In the meantime you footage hungry beasts (back, I tell you, back! <whip crack>) I'll put up a link of the next round of footage...give me an hour or so to type out the settings used (I tried to get what Isaac, Mico and GreGory were after but we'll see how I fared...it was bright as hell today and the LCD had real trouble punching through the glare). Didn't have a great deal of time to play so that's why white balance was set to auto.

Please also note the first 4 shots are basically of the inside of my studio because it was peeing down last night...I don't know how useful they'll be but anyway.

12 shots - I haven't even looked at them so, if that isn't private enough for FCP then I don't know what is! I formatted the card beforehand so they are all in sequence etc.

Be right back...in an hour or so

PS...for my "homework" what shutter speed should I be looking at for the 720 and 1080 stuff
              For 1080 24p stick with 1/50 shutter speed and 720 60p stick with 1/120.

Comment

ok...now I'm with the program (yeah right). Just to clarify 1/120 leads to a smoother conversion to 24p when shooting 720/60, right...?
                1080 is golden, 1/50 all the way.
                sigpic

"Circles" Thread HERE

Comment

Originally posted by cinebuddy View Post
                  Then how does this expert explain the HF10 footage in Crank High Voltage? The HF10 is 17mbs and the Crank footage was dubbed to HDCam cut and colored and blown up so I really wanna know what he's talking about. Maybe he should pick up the new issue of HDVideoPro. You have nothing to worry about as far as that data rate for usability INMHO.
                  Touché! In all fairness though, after watch some f the movie and reading the artcicle in HDVideoPRo, they only used the HF10 for a few very quick shots. Majority of the movie was wilmed w/ the XH A1 @25mbps and w/o the AVCHD compression. With that said, that fact that that were able to blow up a 17mbps AVCD files to 35mm is REALLY encouraging.

Comment

The tests will begin momentarily...Chicago I was thinking that 720 should be shot at 1/60 for normal and 1/120 for slow...I'll shoot the 720 last and try to get em' both.
                    The subject matter is pretty exciting!!!! Just wait and see....(if only sarcasm would translate into text well)
                    Might have a chance to grab some DOF footage tomorrow...but I can't promise that's going to work out so well...whiskey might be involved
                    sigpic

"Circles" Thread HERE

Comment

Thanks SS! Whiskey has to be involved! I was going to add that to the long list of shot requests ;)

Do what you feel is right - my only wish is that everything is set to manual. Thanks a million for all your work. I think I will be buying the camera, a number of lenses and a Zacuto DSLR rig, so I just need to make sure that the camera will work for my needs. Your input here is absolutely invaluable. Can't wait to see the footage!

Comment

I wonder if the GH-1 could get close to this lowlight footage done by the %Dll if it had some very fast lens:

http://vimeo.com/2666377

Wow.

Comment

Working...
                        X