Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yashica 28 80 lens information request

1477-yashica-mc-zoom-28-80mm-f-3.9-4.9-800x800.jpg

Hi, I saw a old Yashica 28-80 MC lens (Y/C mount )on ebay for $28. I want to use it on
    ​​​​ Panasonic mft cams, Is this lens suitable for video?
    It's about $150 for a similar Olympus lens, but if it's just a disappointing glass sculpture, I'd rather grab a headphone or tripod instead.
    ​​​​
    If anyone has used it, I would appreciate any information.
    Last edited by Takumarr; 01-23-2024, 09:50 AM.

how bad could it be for $28?

it's going to be soft and slow but it might be good enough for you, especially on a good sensor

Comment

I want to achieve the same quality as midrange Olympias lense , it doesn't have to be great
      I have another choice for this purpose, the Minolta 35-70, both lenses has a manual aperture.
      Last edited by Takumarr; 01-23-2024, 10:31 AM.

Comment

depends on which Olympus lens; some of the newer ones, even low-range, from the last 10 years have better designs and coatings that make the extra few bucks worth it compared to 20-30+ year old lenses

Comment

There are always a lot of cheap lenses for sale, I have to either buy it and try it out or find out about it first, both ways have their disadvantages...

Comment

I haven't used that lens, but if it's from the 70s or 80s, it's probably not the sharpest. You can get a slightly slower D-series Nikon 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 for about the same price as the Yashica. A Tokina 28-80mm f/2.8 runs $100-$200, which could be paired with a focal reducer if you select the right mount.

Comment

Buying vintage lenses have been all the rage in photography. One of the more popular ones is the Helios because some versions create a unique bokeh. I personally stick to ones that people recommend and have m43 adapters. Be fore warned they can yield terrible image quality. But I understand the vintage look appeal. Have fun.

Comment

Vintage primes tend to be sharp enough, but vintage zooms tend to be soft, so they're generally not a good option, unless you're always shooting outdoors and have the lens stopped down to f/8.

I have a Tokina 24-40mm f/2.8 from the 80s, and I have to stop it down to f/4.5 before it's usably sharp and contrasty, but it also has balsam separation haze between fused optical elements, so that's part of the problem.

Comment

Yes and my question is about old zooms not prime lenses, and I may have to go for a cheap zoom, I'm not interested in using a fix lens even though they have an amazing image. In fact, I am a fan of Sigma lenses, which produces zoom lenses at a cheap price equal to prime lenses.

Comment

I will have three options, to use the available zoom lenses

Yashika 28-80 MC
                    Rikenon 35-70 xr
                    ​​​Nikon 28-70
                    nikkor-2870-3545-01.jpg.pagespeed.ce.DK3ujZWj3V.jpg

There are negative points about Nikon 35-70 on the internet, but I don't know anything about it.
                    I also intersted that Rikenon -ricoh lenses for excellent quality

I also have a Sigma UC lens that I can't use on the Panasonic mft

Screenshot_۲۰۲۴-۰۱-۲۷-۲۰-۴۳-۴۴.png

Last edited by Takumarr; 01-27-2024, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Imamacuser View Post
                      I haven't used that lens, but if it's from the 70s or 80s, it's probably not the sharpest. You can get a slightly slower D-series Nikon 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 for about the same price as the Yashica. A Tokina 28-80mm f/2.8 runs $100-$200, which could be paired with a focal reducer if you select the right mount.
                      D series nikkors zooms suck for video - all the mechanics is wrong - floppy.

The early manual nikkors are excellent for video..
                      http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...sMF/2885mm.htm

--

Id go for a 35-70 unless you 'need' 28.

on fullframe (or s35+boost) 28-85 is excellent single lens solution

for more considered work a 18/20/24 + and 35-70 is better

I shot nearly all of 'nelson nutmeg' (my kids low budget feature) on a 35-70 and an 18/4 on a mk1 black tragic

The idea that the old lenses are soft is not that accurate IMO - certianly contax/canonFD/olympus and nikkor manual are excellent, mintola was alyway a budget brand like praktica.

The mintola is worth a try.. but a manual 35-70 fixed 3.5 of established brand will be far better.

http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Thanks for the replies
                        I did not understand 35-70 that you mean is this series

Nikon_35-70mm_f3.3-f4.5.jpg
                        Last edited by Takumarr; 01-28-2024, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Takumarr View Post
                          Thanks for the replies
                          I did not understand 35-70 that you mean is this series

Nikon_35-70mm_f3.3-f4.5.jpg
                          yes - in my opinion (as a nikkon owner for 20 years) these lenses are not good for manual film making.. and dont even work on the Z6-9 for 'auto' film making so really a very lost series.

http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

In your opinion, which of the following lenses are better?

Rikenon 35-70
                            Cisina 35-70
                            Canon FD 35-70

Comment

about your experience with Nikon lenses, do you prefer a manual zoom lens?
                              The image I need , doesn't have to be very sharp

Comment

Working...
                              X