GH5 doesn't lock the shutter angle in the Custom Modes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH5 doesn't lock the shutter angle in the Custom Modes

I may be late to the party on this...but I noticed that when you lock in your settings in any of the Custom Modes on the GH5 and turn off the camera and then turn it back on, all of the settings (ISO, f-stop, frame rate, etc) will remain at your intended settings...except one. Turns out that if, while shooting, you decide to change your shutter angle and then turn off the camera, when you turn it back on, that particular item will remain at what you changed it to (rather than defaulting back to your Custom Setting). Not only that, the new shutter angle will be changed in ALL of your Custom Settings. If you change any of the other settings while shooting, turn the camera off and turn it back on, they will all return to the preferred default that you set...but not shutter angle. (Interestingly, if you input the shutter info as shutter speed rather than shutter angle, even that setting, if you change it during shooting and then turn off the camera and then turn it back on, will return to the original setting...but not shutter angle.) Just want everyone to be careful. Maybe everyone already knows this, but it caught me by surprise! Sorry if this was already addressed.

P.S. I even contacted Panasonic about this (just to make sure that my camera wasn't malfunctioning) and they confirmed that is what is supposed to happen...weird.
    Last edited by cyclone; 03-25-2022, 07:21 PM.

That's odd for 2 reasons.
    1) It's not working for you
    2) Panasonic says it's supposed to not work.

I've had my shutter angle locked in at 179d for a long time now, in C1, C2 and C3 and it's been bullet proof.
    It's always there ... the way I set it.

==========================================
    So, I just re-read your post and tested mine.
    Booted up to C1 - verified Shutter Speed is at 179d.
    Changed shutter speed to 177 - turned off camera.
    Turned it back on and it's set to 179d.

So, I'm not able to reproduce your problem.

==========================================
    It's been a while since I've even thought about any of this as I mostly do stills.
    I set up C1, C2, and C3 for video way back and kept notes on how and why.

The choice of 179d was a fix for autofocus not working correctly at 180 degrees.

From my notes:
    Autofocus Fix
    Set the Shutter angle to 179 Degrees instead of 180 Degrees
    BUT for more detailed shutter angle we need to turn on Syncroscan
    Menu > Creative Video > Page 1 of 2 > Syncro Scan > On/Off

Last edited by Steve_Karl; 12-01-2022, 05:01 AM.
    Steve Karl
    sightsea.com/music
    Panasonic GH5, 2 Panasonic GH2s - Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5, Olympus 17mm f/1.8, Olympus 25mm f/1.8, Olympus 45mm f/1.8, Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8, Lumix 45-200mm f/4.0, Lumix 100-300mm f/4.0

Comment

Working...
    X