Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post
    It's why I'm keen on AF, too - I think once I get a taste, it will be to me like IBIS was.
    Yes, it will be. You will become better at what you do, ironically even with the assistance.

You will think more outside the box and do things you couldn't do before.

But again, I'm only saying that to you because it sounds like you could actually benefit from it instead of someone shooting macro jewelry.

Comment

Wait, tell me more. I've got a whole bunch of crap that's depreciated because I've been too lazy to sell it.

Anyone want an AF100, HVX200, GH4, GH5, GH5s.....
      The last two should be sold for something decent, the first two you should keep as history pieces or on a coffee table.

The GH4 could be used as an emergency camera in your Pelican, or maybe as a webcam. The $200 or so you'd get from it is probably not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by DLD View Post
        it's generally better to be in the flow of things... it gives you a pretty decent overview of the entire industry... You can join or you can stay out of trends but, for most it's better be in the thick of things.
        Yeah... that's generally played out in my experience. Usually the more popular things are popular for a reason, they hold resale better, and in the long run new accessories are made with them in mind so you hold compatibility better. I probably should have ditched my HVX200 stat for a Canon 7D back in the day, but instead I waited for the AF100, which transitioned me into GHx line, then the EVA line, now the S line.

I would have jumped ship a few years back, but felt inclined to stay Panasonic when they showed up with the l-mount and S series. Actually, I really really love those cameras and agree with Thomas, the GH6 is pretty perfect except AF (and some dream features like 32-bit float, internal NDs, etc.). The S1H ii will hopefully be on market within ~12 months and wreak some havoc.

But I do see the magnetic train of Canon & Sony and worry I'll be left on the sidelines. I guess we'll see how the GH6 plays out for me and how the S1H ii goes, and if the next revisions from Sony/Canon fix my gripes...

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post

The last two should be sold for something decent, the first two you should keep as history pieces or on a coffee table.

The GH4 could be used as an emergency camera in your Pelican, or maybe as a webcam. The $200 or so you'd get from it is probably not worth it.
          What did you mean by people getting smarter and not selling anything over $100/$200?

Comment

Yes, it will be. You will become better at what you do, ironically even with the assistance.

You will think more outside the box and do things you couldn't do before.

But again, I'm only saying that to you because it sounds like you could actually benefit from it instead of someone shooting macro jewelry.
            I could, and this sounds about right... well, if this year trends comfortably enough in the black and I need some write-offs, perhaps I'll consider a used R6 and a few new RF lenses/adapters/batteries to get into the system, see what all the fuss is about, and then spring for a new R5 mk ii whenever it launches. Things really slowed down with COVID and I haven't been on a travel shoot since I evaced Indonesia on a shoot in March 2020 when they shut it all down.

Comment

Just that people are much smarter buyers than they were 5, 8 years ago because of YouTube.

Everyone knows what's up and what's hot (related to DLD's point about cameras), and knows about all of the budget options that do the job "good enough" for everything.

So while $100/$200 was kind of a joke, I think it's tougher to resell more expensive stuff these days, especially how quickly everything changes every year.

Comment

Well at least I have some nice pieces for the coffee table...

Comment

If I were you, I would sell those Milvus' while you can.

I know they are beautiful, but start setting yourself up for the future...

Comment

lol.

I can see you thinking.

Comment

I do think AF is more valuable than that, especially in a camera like a GH. The thought of just free moving a camera around with a shallower DOF, say pulling back on their hands as they play piano, pushing in on someone's face, doing a more complicated camera move without a team where you can't even really get a good grip on the focus pull. That really adds a certain dynamic je ne sais quoi and creative freedom, plus ease of use convenience, that I would be very excited about.

That said... I hear you Thomas, too. I do think it's silly when someone worries about AF pulsing for a talking head. Just set a shot like that with manual focus, how inept are you!? (lol sorry). I just mean, it's like, I don't care how good the AF is - if a shot is roughly static I will use the MF every time, because I trust me more than a computer. But I've been doing this a loonnggg time, so I can see why some would trust a computer more.

It also seems that the GHx does a pretty solid, though imperfect, job of tracking some more basic movements. I actually think I could get away now with a handheld camera push towards a persons face at shallow DOF and have it hold perfectly well, or throw it on a gimbal and have it hold focus on someone while following them. I wouldn't trust it for a critical one-take like a bride down the aisle, but something I can shoot, and then try again if needed? Sure. I do wish I could get fancier than that or riskier than that, as it would be really cool to open things up. But without jumping ship I can't, and is it just me or does every year keep going by faster and faster as we get older? I swear I just, I mean literally just, bought the S1H. But I guess that was 2.5 years ago, geesh.

Though if I find myself on a project or shoot where I really could use the AF I'll probably rent a canon to try it out. Maybe I'll add one as my AF camera after another revision, R5 mk ii sounds nice if they can turn up the heat (err down the heat?) on the next revision.
                      Yes but I managed it for many years on ENG cameras and DSLRs since the GH1. I like to think I was really good at manual focus at one point but I don't think I was that good. Its totally possible to shoot anything and manual focus without a crew. Lots of people do it everyday on the Pocket cameras that have no AF at all. Lots of Pocket users are one person operations.

I agree there are some situations where it is incredibly helpful to have but I still wouldn't say its a must have. If nobody could manage manually focusing on certain types of shots then sure but people out there are.

Look I think we need to face the reality that there will never be that one perfect camera. Something will always be lacking. These cameras are affordable enough where we need to start thinking of having a tool bag for the job and not try to build a house with just a screw driver. I see no problem with myself having a R6 and a GH6. Its not very practical for any of us to really just have one camera. At some point we need a backup or a second angle. Get the best of both worlds and use the Canon for those moments that are more practical with AF. I know a lot of Pocket users that want to pick up a second camera with AF and IBIS for certain type of shots. Its not meant to replace their Pocket cameras but a supplemental tool to add. I think if we look at thee cameras from that perspective we can all stop obsessing with that one perfect camera and just build up a good tool box instead.

I bought a R6 because I can't always bring a tool box with me on vacation or when my daughter has gymnastics. The R6 is a great push the red button and only worry about composition camera. Perfect for that sort of thing. At times it may be a great camera on a gimbal. But my main camera is still la P4k for paid projects or my own creative projects. I use the P4k as my main camera for my live DJ streaming and yes this will make DLD very happy I use my iPhone 11 Pro Max as a second camera for a super wide angle closeup of my DJ controller.

Comment

Just that people are much smarter buyers than they were 5, 8 years ago because of YouTube.

Everyone knows what's up and what's hot (related to DLD's point about cameras), and knows about all of the budget options that do the job "good enough" for everything.

So while $100/$200 was kind of a joke, I think it's tougher to resell more expensive stuff these days, especially how quickly everything changes every year.
                        Yeah selling gear now sucks. I ended up selling to B&H and KEH because it was a no hassle and safe solution.

Comment

When you talk like that, to me it's clear the R6 really isn't the camera for you...I think you'd be happier with the GH6, back where your heart is...
                          I like both and see a place for both. I need a backup for the R6 and was going to get a RP for that but instead I might get a GH6. The RP doesn't have DPAF for video anyway, only stills. Canon only reserves DPAF for video for their higher end cameras.

Comment

I have a brand new RP if you want it. Got it as a gift for Christmas, still in the box.

Does have DPAF but only in HD.

Didn't plan on selling it and I wanted it as a full-frame stills camera because it's so small and nice, but I've been busy with the other camera for now.

P.S. Why not Adorama? B&H made a better offer?

Comment

But I know you know better than that...

If you're shooting a FF interview on a 85mm or 135mm as a second angle at f/1.4, f/1.8, and you have a nervous speaker inching back and forth, are you telling me you're going to pull focus manually back and forth with him or her? (Yeah, you can stop down but if you don't want to?)

If you are pulling manually, you're doing it wirelessly without touching the rig, right?

Because if not...the computer will do it for you. Tracks the eye, the face. 99% perfectly for a sitting subject.

These are the kind of situations you enlighten yourself with, even the most simpler ones you think you've gotten figured out.

___

And of course the AF system is much more useful than how it's described above. It opens up a world of possibilities never dreamed of with full-frame sensors and fast lenses that are moving and following other objects, especially moving objects.
                              Why on earth is an interview with someone who clearly had too much coffee or something less legal being shot on FF with 85mm at f1.4? That seems a bit extreme. I agree good AF is really the only way to pull that off but I'm not entirely sure thats the best setup for an interview. I wouldn't want to manually focus that either. Yuck.

Comment

That's the new production world...would have never thought of this myself 10 years ago, but that's what people do now or ask for.

Comment

Working...
                                X