Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by padraig conaty View Post

Apsc will be alive and well with Gh6 users and their meta bones adapers
    lenses, yes, new camera bodies with that sensor size? Not enough differentiation anymore between 43/FF

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
      How is one meant to actually know if you are in focus on a 3in screen while recording an image that should stand up on a 20ft screen
      I’ve always shot on the included EVF/LCD while traveling and focus peaking highlights has never let me down. I turn it to be least sensitive and practice… but never had a problem. And yes the work is shown projected on very large screens in that size range.

maybe im crazy but I just trust the highlights and look for the bright green lines in the eyes / nose area, or right at a central part of an object. A couple rolls back and forth on the focus to confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by Zim View Post
        This is a good review.
        https://youtu.be/U3fbv_zeEkQ
        He's one of the best on YT, IMO.

Comment

Was watching another review. Over all positive except when it came to the AF (no surprise). https://youtu.be/xqKTamQm-Vw?t=759
          He includes real examples to illustrate where it fails. In a wedding it totally screws up a bride and groom ceremony shot. https://youtu.be/xqKTamQm-Vw?t=794 He also says in low light and contrast situations (that you would find in most night shooting or indoor things like wedding receptions, it's useless, so much so the camera automatically shuts off AFC below a certain exposure.

Comment

I give Panasonic a hard time about AF as much as anyone, but no one is moving in that shot.

I know he's using an example he has, but in situations like that you can use push AF and hold the camera still like he did. The sensor is so small that an inch or two one way or the other will not matter much from that distance. And even if it did, you could look at the screen/peaking and inch back and forth with the couple if anyone did move (they didn't though).

All-in-all, I guess it's still valid because it shows AF failing in even the most simplest situation.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
              I give Panasonic a hard time about AF as much as anyone, but no one is moving in that shot.

I know he's using an example he has, but in situations like that you can use push AF and hold the camera still like he did. The sensor is so small that an inch or two one way or the other will not matter much from that distance. And even if it did, you could look at the screen/peaking and inch back and forth with the couple if anyone did move (they didn't though).

All-in-all, I guess it's still valid because it shows AF failing in even the most simplest situation.
              Yeah the wedding shot that would be my practice to turn off AF on stationary subjects as soon as it locked on. But it illustrates the point, well lit outdoors, stationary subject in the middle of the frame... how much more basic can you get?

I also think he make a good point, at this entry level price range, people will more likely value AF more, more likely to be shooting solo event work not on a movie set with a crew of people, proper lighting, etc. It really comes back to what type of work are you using this camera for.

Comment

Are you going to get one or still researching?

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                  Are you going to get one or still researching?
                  Funny enough this is more an intellectual exercise. I do love following the latest developments in the industry. Despite my criticism of the GH6 I welcome it's release. It gives us something to talk about and further advances cameras.

Even though I would love to buy a mirrorless A7s3, A74, R5c, GH6, BM6k, etc. I don't do the type of work that warrants such a purchase. I mainly do theater and legal work with some interviews and other random stuff thrown in. So dropping 5-7k on mirrorless setup for 5% random jobs doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Comment

Those are the two most specific jobs in the world that can't justify a new camera purchase. lol

Like, one has people probably sitting in front of white walls talking about depressing stuff, and the other is mostly a dark scene with only the stage lit up where almost every camera you use looks the same, and you probably need rocker zooming.

Comment

Peter, I have an HVX200 for sale

Comment

Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post
                        Peter, I have an HVX200 for sale
                        Thx but I already own 4 camcorders (a pair of Panasonic UX90s and JVC HM600). Camcorders ironically haven't change much over the past 5 years and it doesn't look like there is anything in the near future that will be released. When tech stagnates it can be boring but it also means my old tech cameras retains their value and use because there's nothing better to replace it. Most of the jobs I do center around me doing all the boring stuff right that they don't talk about on Youtube. Filming, editing and producing in a timely fashion is far more important than whether I own the latest mirrorless camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Smet View Post

The P4k is used on gimbals all the time. Are not gimbals typically used with very wide lenses that have a very short infinity focus? .
                          I use gimbals with normals and telephotos. I probably didn't use telephotos on them before I had AF... but normals for sure I did. I mean, ideally you could do any dolly-type shot on a gimbal. And yes, you can pull it manually; it's just hard to achieve perfection, especially as a solo operator
                          www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post

I’ve always shot on the included EVF/LCD while traveling and focus peaking highlights has never let me down. I turn it to be least sensitive and practice… but never had a problem. And yes the work is shown projected on very large screens in that size range.

maybe im crazy but I just trust the highlights and look for the bright green lines in the eyes / nose area, or right at a central part of an object. A couple rolls back and forth on the focus to confirm.
                            I often feel like Peaking indicates more in focus than I consider to be in focus. I mean; only one plane is truly in focus. Also, ideally we wouldn't have to pulse focus to confirm (as I also do when focusing manually). But to be sure, as long as you get the results you need who cares how others do it
                            www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by Peter C. View Post

Thx but I already own 4 camcorders (a pair of Panasonic UX90s and JVC HM600). Camcorders ironically haven't change much over the past 5 years.
                              I think the xf605 is a pretty changed camcorder I cant remember why!
                              decent af
                              24equiv fov
                              log file

http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Originally posted by Peter C. View Post
                                . I mainly do theater and legal work with some interviews and other random stuff thrown in. So dropping 5-7k on mirrorless setup for 5% random jobs doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
                                I operated on a 4-camera theater shoot last week for the first time in a while. The producer had 2 FX9's, an FX6 and an FX3. (He owns them all except one of the FX9's, which he rented.) I almost got my FX3 in as a rental, but he veered towards another FX9.

Not a type of shooting I have a lot of recent experience with, but it seemed like the eND and AF were very useful. As was the servo zooms on our PZ 28-135's and the IS. All those aspects helped me concentrate on getting smooth shots and pointing the camera in the right place (which ultimately seems like the most important thing).

I think the guy recently started up and invested in gear. To be sure, it's a lot of camera gear to buy at once... but if that shoot was any indication,, I feel like mirrorless cameras lose out for lack of ND
                                www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Working...
                                X