Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorBro View Post

Look at the size comparison between those two...28-70mm is huge and heavier.

I'm sure it's a little better (although breathing is beyond terrible), but I actually think its size is a negative.
    It's just about the f/2 really. Some people feel like they don't need prime lenses at that point. I disagree. Nevertheless, it's nice to have options
    www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

Have you used Black Frost? It's a very sexy look. Just a bit of gloss and halation. I haven't used it in a long time because I have a 4x4 which means matte box.. plus it cuts a lot of light. But it's hardly a gimmick.

Now you've got me thinking of using my screw-in Black Satin filters on my new years eve wedding.. they're even more subtle,, but perfect for smoothing skin.. I'm largely happy with what I'm getting at weddings, but I think my close-ups could use some extra kindness, especially on folks who aren't in their 20s. Maybe I can use these filters for daytime. We'll see how the AF handles it.

I've noticed a lot of wedding videos have kind of harsh looking skin, especially if they're going for a high-contrast look, which seems to be the style these days. (Not my preferred style... Instagram influence? I've noticed a lot of wedding photographers doing sharp, high-contrast stuff with strong rim light or backlight. I imagine they do it to pop off a small screen better...)

Papert, for example, says he's partial to using Black Diffusion FX or Glimmerglass. You may not have influence in the edit. Softening skin can take time. Etc
      I used it all when younger, but it just didn't work for me because the cameras I used were so video-looking that it really made no difference.

Diffusion didn't make my DSLR look like an Alexa. lol

The best results I had were from minor diffusion on Blackmagics, like a 1/8 Black Magic (no relation) to further take any edge off, but I'm done with diffusion and would rather use softer glass with the best-of-the-best sensors, which I always agreed with people when I learned about doing that and I think it's a really special combination.

If I didn't love AF so much, it would be so fun to experiment with vintage lenses on the R5 or the a7SIII.

The Sigma Classic Art Primes excited me for a second a few years back because I thought they could be modern lenses with AF but also with vintage characteristics, but that line never came to the electronic still lenses (which makes sense because I don't see any company thinking it would be worth it).

Comment

There are like 4 people. The forum is dead.

It's Alive.jpg

Comment

lol. I'm going to post that when the GH6 is announced (again)...and shipping!

Comment

. That 50mm really impressed me the other week. (Love the non-GM 85mm as well.)
            GM 50 is possibly my favorite lens of all time. I doubt it's any better than the equivalent Canon or Nikon, but I didn't bother to compare. I think they're all better than older generations of f/1.2

I was sold in it vs a different 50 by 3 factors: nicest look/rendering, Best/fastest AF, Fastest aperture. If you use a 50 a lot, I think it's totally worth it
            www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

And if a crazy-good GH6 doesn't come, this is the beauty I want...

It's $6,000 though.

Beauty.jpg
              Not the R5c or R1? But yes, R3 is sweet
              www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Those don't exist right now, but maybe...

Comment

Originally posted by DLD View Post

A7 IV adjusts/almost eliminates focus breathing in camera ... but only on Sony branded lenses. Which is a sturdy middle finger to Sigma, Tamron and Zeiss. Among others.
                  They won't allow the 3rd parties to submit lens profiles?? This shouldn't be an issue!

Gotta admit though, Sony's strategy has pretty much nailed me. I'm probably only considering Sony (preferably GM) or Tamron lenses from here on out simply for autofocus reasons. (Supposedly the newer samyangs have even better AF - such as the 45 and 75 1.8. So maybe I'm wrong. But I don't need those lenses so I won't find out first-hand)
                  www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

I apologize, but I've lost my patience with you because I don't think you're very smart...

I promise you won't be hearing from me anymore so you can have the last word and it will end there.
                    This is uncalled for. Also, you could just stop responding and leave it at that if you feel that way. It works for me!
                    www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

This is uncalled for. Also, you could just stop responding and leave it at that if you feel that way. It works for me!
                      IMO, it was called for, which is why I said it. But it's done. No more.

I don't want to talk about that and I'm only here to talk tech.

And you're always on a 1-2 day post delay so I was waiting for you to eventually get to it. lol

Comment

A tiny bit from a Japanese magazine:

“the market is shrinking significantly or is in a structural recession. Many companies are in the red or have a significant decline in profits.”

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/som...ions-for-2022/
                        t.
                        That is a bleak flicking outlook. And they mention the increase in sensor prices going forward. Presumably this impacts phone prices too. But those are small sensors. (But multiple I suppose?) Anyone know how much of the production cost of a camera is just the sensor?
                        www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

The multiple sensors in phones is actually exactly what they are supposedly scaling back on in phones...that's what I read somewhere because the chip problem is starting to affect them, too.

So some models may see 1 instead of 2 cameras or 3 instead of 4, something like that, IIRC.

Not sure what Apple is doing/planning.

2022 could have a bird flu further affecting things...it never ends.

Comment

a6300 was the beginning for Sony's brilliance .
                            I guess they had to make up for having horrible menus. Their menus are pretty darn good now though
                            www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Yeah, I never understood that complaint, but I def had the minority opinion on that one. I thought the menus were fine.

Comment

Yeah, I never understood that complaint, but I def had the minority opinion on that one. I thought the menus were fine.
                                The menus had next to no organization. Endless scrolling. Very 1990s GUI.

Bird flu. Ha. No chance. Plus, I think Omicron will end the pandemic and transition is to endemic normalcy

By the way,, there are some number of lurkers also using the site.. I've gotten multiple PMs with answers to my public queries from a self-proclaimed lurker who I've never seen post (but ought to!) The one who said you and I should start a debate show. So you have no idea how many people are reading this thread!
                                www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Working...
                                X