Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Thomas. The choice for me other than the GH6 is BM. I will wait though as I would like to be able to do a backup recording at the same time. With the BM cameras at the moment that is only 1080 from the HDMI. The new BM Studio cameras do have both USB C and HDMI output in UHD. For me this change to the Pockets would make them really attractive. An 8K version would be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
      I don't run around holding my M1 in front of me and pushing its buttons

like, doesn't the iphone only have 1 button? i always have to wrap my head around that when someone hands me one. my samsung has 3 virtual buttons. can't imagine why i'd want fewer
      Are you talking about buttons that can be used for shutters? The volume control can be used to take pictures and start shooting video. The camera app has a shutter and it is very easy to get around the camera controls. Must have been awhile since you used a iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by DLD View Post
        I lived in Milwaukee 1979-1987 and even worked in electronic - sort of - retail there in 1986-87. And the chain even had a store in Appleton.

But the point about smartphones and the VHS-C/8mm talk is that it helps understand the markets better. Meaning that in this scenario, if someone asked back in 2015 about staying invested in the MFT ecosystem, the reply would likely be, "Of course, why not?". These days, new MFT equipment - whether from OMD or Panasonic - would probably be purchased to extend the life cycle of someone's already existing MFT glass collection. A brand new user would be a rare bird and that will force the GH-4/5 owners to start thinking about jumping ship as well. And if they do - and as we see from posts here, that is indeed the case - then the whole MFT ecosystem is facing extinction.

However, a word of warning - the same has been said about Nikon and then they responded with Z9, which seems to be the state-of-the-art (sorry, the cat's meow) product. And, while Z9 may not be the be-all-end-all camera, it seems to be a fantastic performer for a while to come.
        I agree there entirely. I loved m43 glass at one point but not anymore. Its still great to have a very compact and light prime but once I saw what Sigma could do with their f1.4 APS-C primes I realized I no longer had to only use m43 glass.

Not only is the future of m43 a bit in question which makes it harder to invest I the glass most of the lenses released in the past couple of years have been north of $1,000 and in some cases way north. Panasonic seems to think its user base has endless pockets which is a bit of a head scratcher. I'm starting to wonder if they really understand their user base at all. The lenses their released like the f1.7 zooms were exciting and media buzz worthy but they are all out of reach of a lot of users. Even Olympus has mostly been targeting Pro level lenses costing well over $1,000. Cool that they can keep innovating m43 glass bu again very few can actually afford those options.

Pretty much everything Panasonic has released since the GH5 likely did not generate very many sales at all. Due to many potential factors but the big one for me was cost and the glass kept getting much larger and heavier. It got to the point where the bodies and lenses were now almost or at the same size, weight and cost as APS-C or FF options. That right there kind of killed one of the major reasons why users loved m43. Any of the affordable and compact m43 glass is now pretty ancient.

Comment

Originally posted by Zim View Post

Not sure if you have used a GoPro but look what they put in that small camera, and for under $500. If Panasonic wanted to they could really make a great camera and not charge so much.
          Didn't you learn anything from the lesson?

Of course they could...but they are a Japanese company.

GoPro is an American company.

Panasonic could maybe even make a GH6 that has better AF than Canon and Sony but I don't think we'll ever know!

Comment

Considering that Samsung has a new 200 MPX (16,000 x 12,000) sensor that is about 90mm2 (1/1.22) in surface area, which is 40% of the MFT, a new Panasonic or OMD camera can indeed wow. In other words, it wouldn't be difficult to make an 8K camera with a 50+ MPX stills resolution and retail it for about $1,200. But that won't benefit Sony's APS-C sales. So, you'll likely see small, incremental changes to both brands lineups.

Meanwhile Samsung will move 280,000,000 smartphones in 2022 and wonder who the heck will want a 20 MPX stand-alone camera when their Galaxy Note can take 200 MPX snapshots already.

Comment

Originally posted by Zim View Post

Are you talking about buttons that can be used for shutters? The volume control can be used to take pictures and start shooting video. The camera app has a shutter and it is very easy to get around the camera controls. Must have been awhile since you used a iPhone.
              I was thinking more about camera controls. Physical buttons and dials for recording modes, exposure and color settings. We tend to complain about a lack thereof on modern cameras, and apple tends to embrace a philosophy of fewer buttons
              www.AbeFilms.com

It's wrong to starve children

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post

Nice that you now agree with some of us. How many of these cameras you have mentioned have continuous autofocus and IBIS ?
                Not to speak for anyone but plenty of cameras have those
                things plus this much sought after 10bit 4.2.2. Sony A7siii,
                Sony FX3, and Canon C70 are a few off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskacameradude View Post
                  Not to speak for anyone but plenty of cameras have those
                  things plus this much sought after 10bit 4.2.2. Sony A7siii,
                  Sony FX3, and Canon C70 are a few off the top of my head.
                  With lens those are at least twice the cost of a GH5. Also they are 3 years younger than the GH5. Of course the GH5M2 can do those things too and again half the price of those cameras. In fact you could buy 3 GH5M2 for the cost of a single Canon C70. Price has to come into the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Smet View Post
                    I think it was purely a coincidence that phones and a over saturated market happened around the same time.
                    I call BS. Also, I don't think anyone here has been talking about camcorders/video cameras proper. We sort of consider DSLRs to be video cameras ever since the 5Dmk2.

Camera sales by year:

camera-shipments-decline.jpg

iPhone sales by quarter/year:

Screen+Shot+2018-02-18+at+2.15.16+PM.png?format=1500w.png

A few noteworthy things:

1. The demand for interchangeable-lens cameras has not changed much in the last 10 years. Presumably, this is the pro segment that can't effectively replace their gear with a phone.

2. P&S cameras peaked in 2010. According to the iphone sales chart, this was exactly the time that iphones started a rapid ascent, going from just under 50 million units shipped in 4Q 2010 to just under 100 million units shipped in 1Q 2012.

3. iPhone sales started to plateau at about 2015, which is also about when P&S sales plateaued (going in the opposite direction, of course)
                    www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

I was thinking more about camera controls. Physical buttons and dials for recording modes, exposure and color settings. We tend to complain about a lack thereof on modern cameras, and apple tends to embrace a philosophy of fewer buttons
                      I use the Filmic Pro App. But Apple has added more controls.

Comment

Emphasis on physical
                        www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

Emphasis on physical
                          you don't need them

Comment

Yes I do. On a real camera I do
                            www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

Yes I do. On a real camera I do
                              yes on a DSLR, but a phone doesn't and it has a real camera.

Comment

He's saying he wants the buttons (which many people do), presumably even on a phone if he had to use one for work.

Comment

Working...
                                X