Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a free/freer market, there'd be product made for the niche users, albeit with a higher markup than for the "typical" applications. The photo-video market, on the other hand, is rigidly controlled by the Japanese cartel, with the top brands wrestling with each other behind the scenes to claim the most lucrative portions. In this case, timing was crucial. MFT cameras seem to have missed several opportunities for a new cycle and now have to defer to the newest full frame models.

PS. Technically speaking, a full frame camera can also offer an MFT or near MFT crop too but that would near destroy the stand-alone MFT market. And so they only offer an APS-C crop. The rest is out of their hands. If the end users move away from a particular format, then it's very unlikely that further research and development will be directed toward it. And it will wither on the vine. Like the cassette players, CRT TV's and VCR's.

Comment

Thread seems lonely. Yes, still interested but could be tempted away by an S5 mkII if it had a first rate EVF. But since neither is real at the moment, I'll have to continue waiting patiently. Although that is wearing thin with each passing day.

Comment

There's about a 50/50 chance they let a few more months go by and eventually cancel it.

Even if they said they wouldn't.

Because people change their minds or lie.

Just speculation and it's not something I want to see, but there's truly a good chance if you (anyone) forget about cameras for a second and think business and money.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
          There's about a 50/50 chance they let a few more months go by and eventually cancel it.

Comment

Full disclosure (for Norbro) - I ordered an A7IV and an A7sIII and will put my GH5 & Canon gear up for sale. It has been a long wait but this was the way forward for me. I like the Panasonic functionality but they just let things go too long. I also do not have confidence the AF system will be a complete change/upgrade. I wanted a full stills/video hybrid setup without video compromises. It was between the Canon R5/R6 and the Sonys. It was close but in the end, I did not want to grit my teeth over small HDMIs, overheating and 30 min. time limits. Too bad Canon as you lost all of my body and lens purchases over your restrictions. Was it really worth it to artificially limit the cameras?

It is sad that the Panasonic cameras where not in the mix. Why? It seems to me that the S line could vanish at any time. I am not a huge user of auto focus but on gimbals and some stills work require it. Stubborn or not allowed to succeed is what comes to mind. But either way, nothing I want to invest in. The S5 was a ray of hope but giving it a lame viewfinder and small HDMI just took Panasonic out of the mix. Nothing kills a camera purchase than a feature that is out of date before you even take delivery.

In the end, after watching too many YouTube videos, all of these cameras look more alike than different these days. That allowed me to go to the Sony system as I have never liked the look of their lower end cameras in the past. 10bit 4:2:2 and we are off to races. I am tired of cameras and camera makers to be honest. All of the thorns and finely diced features spread across the marketplace is exhausting. Pick one and go make the best of it.

Yes, this thread is tired and frankly so am I. For those who do purchase a GH6 (if it arrives) I am sure it will be a great tool. Best of luck!

Comment

I am a proud camera father...it's a day I thought I'd never see...

Bassman2003 bought a new camera after 17 years.

Comment

I thought you would enjoy the final verdict. After almost 20 years in business, I want to buy equipment less and less. It will be healthy to learn a new system.

Comment

This is turning into a wake
                  www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman2003 View Post
                    ... In the end, after watching too many YouTube videos, all of these cameras look more alike than different these days.
                    This would require for someone to take apart all cameras and compare the schematics/wiring. Chances are that a given range camera is indeed mostly the same.

PS. I mentioned a few times in different threads that sometime last May, I joined a Facebook page "I disliked it in the USSR" (it's in Russian or Ukrainian and most posters more than merely "dislike" it). In any case, one of the frequent topics there is the Soviet copies of the analogous Western items, from cars to electronics to household appliances. And the remarkable part is that there's very little difference from the originals, even on the purely superficial level. Which makes sense because, if you copy the schematics of something, then you might as well copy its appearance as well, since there's a reason why all the knobs and buttons are located where they are. The modern cameras have an additional advantage in that a typical camera layout has been the same since the 1930's (and that most people are right handed). Add the fact that the sensors are manufactured by the whole of two companies (Canon for Canon and Sony for everyone else) and one can come to the conclusion that brand logos are tacked on for pure superficiality.

PS. Tony Northrup has just put out a video on why every photo-video company is Japanese. I watched a couple of minutes. Maybe, at some point, he makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman2003 View Post
                      Full disclosure (for Norbro) - I ordered an A7IV and an A7sIII and will put my GH5 & Canon gear up for sale. It has been a long wait but this was the way forward for me. I like the Panasonic functionality but they just let things go too long. I also do not have confidence the AF system will be a complete change/upgrade. I wanted a full stills/video hybrid setup without video compromises. It was between the Canon R5/R6 and the Sonys. It was close but in the end, I did not want to grit my teeth over small HDMIs, overheating and 30 min. time limits. Too bad Canon as you lost all of my body and lens purchases over your restrictions. Was it really worth it to artificially limit the cameras?

It is sad that the Panasonic cameras where not in the mix. Why? It seems to me that the S line could vanish at any time. I am not a huge user of auto focus but on gimbals and some stills work require it. Stubborn or not allowed to succeed is what comes to mind. But either way, nothing I want to invest in. The S5 was a ray of hope but giving it a lame viewfinder and small HDMI just took Panasonic out of the mix. Nothing kills a camera purchase than a feature that is out of date before you even take delivery.

In the end, after watching too many YouTube videos, all of these cameras look more alike than different these days. That allowed me to go to the Sony system as I have never liked the look of their lower end cameras in the past. 10bit 4:2:2 and we are off to races. I am tired of cameras and camera makers to be honest. All of the thorns and finely diced features spread across the marketplace is exhausting. Pick one and go make the best of it.

Yes, this thread is tired and frankly so am I. For those who do purchase a GH6 (if it arrives) I am sure it will be a great tool. Best of luck!
                      big ole +1 Roger 10-4

Comment

im sure i said this 15 pages back ..to my eye.. AF is king and that puts one in the canon or sony camp for the A camera and lenses.

Anything else is basically over... it is indeed a wake and a funeral

Yep Ill keep my gh4 and 12mm slr tragic as it a great little fire and forget bolt on.. hell Id swap it for a used gh5, but its not part of the core system
                        http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

As I have said in previous posts it depends on what is being shot. All my shoots are in the theatre and there continuous auto focus and auto exposure are a disaster so never used. Both will go crazy when lights go up and down. Also cameras are always on tripods so no need for stabilization. So for me none of those are on my list as essential for a new camera. It was the same when I used camcorders so moving to GH5 and GH5S made no difference. Move was to get UHD 60P unlimited record time at lowest cost which was the case when they came out several years ago. Move now would be 6K or 8K same requirements. If I hand hold for family videos or holiday I use my AX53 camcorder or my phone ! I fully accept that is not what everyone thinks of a new camera but just to point out why people may buy Blackmagic cameras for instance. The option for me to the GH6 would be a Pocket 6K Pro. An 8K Pro would be even better if it appeared. GH6 has value for 6K in that I would not need to buy new lenses where move to 6K Pro would. That may still be a better choice though to full control of BRAW in Resolve..

My list
                          6 or 8K internal 10bit 4:2:2 unlimited record time
                          Internal and simultaneous external recording ( external could be UHD when internal is 6 or 8K )
                          External power with internal battery. Run and charging. So a USB C PD supply etc.

The current GH5M2, other than 6 or 8K meets these advantages over the GH5. Have wondered about changing my GH5 for the GH5M2 but trade in value is low and more value to keep I think.. The Pocket 6K Pro meets most, other than its HDMI external output is only 1080 not UHD. So only able to record one source other than HD. I have a feeling the GH6 will meet my needs and since the new BM Studio cameras now output UHD over HDMI I expect the next revision of the Pockets will also do this to meet the input of the latest ATEM switches. Not in a hurry to move from the GH5 and GH5S I have now. It will be some time before GH6 and by then maybe new BM cameras too.

Comment

I'm not counting but that's the 36th time you said that...

At this point everyone knows that (about you and in general), but we are speaking as a majority for what we want and what Panasonic needs to attract more customers than just Ron Evans, you know?

Because you're starting to sound like that one guy who uses the infrared photography feature on his Varicam to film bats in caves for Animal Planet, and when a new camera comes out he's asking about a detachable IR cut filter while everyone is over AF and IBIS.

Comment

Maybe Panasonic has realized they are not going to compete with Canon or Sony in continuous auto focus and are placing attention on different aspects like image stabilization, box cameras, streaming, ethernet multicam control etc where they do have an advantage over the others. Actually at 60P the Panasonic autofocus is not bad. I do not use it but testing at 60P the GH5 and GH5S are not too different to my AX53 camcorder in grabbing focus and locking on. Again I know I am different but always shoot at 60P Can't stand the slow frame rates where I think Panasonic has the issues with autofocus.

Comment

They are definitely placing attention on different aspects but it's not necessarily by [first] choice (IMO).

If Canon - Sony - Panasonic had equal strengths in features, all of the prices would be exactly the same (they already are to some degree as it's no coincidence the LT, C300 and FX9 are all $11,000).

Comment

Working...
                                X