Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zim View Post
    I guess you have to buy it to see what is in it!
    NorBro already returned his. Soon, he'll find out what exactly it was.

Comment

DLD is on a roll
      www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Now that one I don't get...and they're usually cute and clever.

As far as the camera, I'm not interested anymore...in any of them.

Comment

Speaking to the original thread of this conversation: I am still very interested in the GH6. I've been anticipating its release for years now. My GH5 bodies have been a joy to work with but they're getting a little long in the tooth. I'm excited by the currently known specs of the GH6 (5.7K 60p 10-bit and 4K 120p) and I'm eager to know the rest of its abilities.

Here's my spec wish list:

1. higher bit-rates and/or less-compressed codecs.
          2. Dual native ISO
          3. built-in ND filter
          4. Image stabilization in all modes
          5. larger battery and/or a better external power solution
          6. Improved AF

I never use AF, so that's last on my list. But it would be nice to have.

What are the odds that the GH6 release and distribution will be plagued by the current supply chain problems that are driving up prices in electronics/autos/etc.? Should we pre-order now to avoid paying an inflated price?

Benjamin Bettenhausen
          Mahalo Video
          www.mahalovideo.com

Comment

Preorder now, read later.

Preordering within the first minute would be best to get it ASAP. (You could always cancel later if you don't like what you see.)

All new cameras will likely be delayed a bit based on the status of the most recent offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
              Now that one I don't get...and they're usually cute and clever.
              I think it's just an absurdist Marx brothers type joke. Like, people are buying the camera on an accelerated timetable, before it's even announced. Which shouldn't be possible. Take that a logical step further, and you've already purchased and returned or resold yours. Except that you also don't know what it is, which should be impossible if you already came into possession of it.

And yeah, I totally agree that if you don't pre-order within the first hour of announcement, you won't get yours for 6 months after release
              www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                I think it's just an absurdist Marx brothers type joke. Like, people are buying the camera on an accelerated timetable, before it's even announced.
                "I put instant coffee into the microwave oven .... almost went back in time". (Steven Wright)

Comment

Sony's new Xperia Pro has a 1" sensor. That's what the spec sheet says. Of course, it's cropped. But the YouShtuppers have to review something or pretty soon they'll be doing videos of each other's haircuts.

Comment

The GH6, which is currently under development, aims to achieve both the mobility unique to Micro Four Thirds systems and a variety of video expressiveness. Both the sensor and engine have been newly developed to support 4: 2: 2 10bit Cinema 4K60p video recording, and we plan to achieve unlimited video recording time within the recommended operating temperature. I’m really sorry that I can’t tell you in detail, but please look forward to what kind of camera the GH6, which is still under development by engineers, will be finished.
                    https://www.43rumors.com/ (it's on Panasonic's site but 43 Rumors ran it through a translator already, so let's give him a hand)

Comment

Today they will announce that the new cameras are stuck on a container ship off the west coast!
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Disappointing - was expecting a release full of info today on anniversary, instead another announcement of a later announcement. Guess everything is running behind these days. Maybe a good thing - I agree on the need to pre-order instantly to get the camera anywhere close to launch, and I'd want the tax deduction on next year's return. Probably not alone on that given the slow market the last year? So 2022 for an official announcement is nice... I'm guessing we can expect a January announcement with March shipping.

Still interested. GH6 should be more than good enough for a ton of content. Small, nimble, closer to working with a cell phone with it's small and light lenses. The 10-25 lens paired with 4k60p 10-bit HEVC is great. The new M1 Pro/Max ships rip through HEVC, no need for Atomos recorder or ProRes for most of the things I do. No need for a QNAP or RAID anymore with HEVC efficiency and higher capacity SSD drives.

I look forward to travelling again with a 16" M1 Max, GH6, 10-25 lens, 8060 Shotgun, etc. Minimal stabilization needs. Stuff is getting so miniaturized and powerful these days... I'll be able take a powerhouse production setup in a backpack. The new MacBook's have roughly as much power as my 5950x Ryzen desktop (no regrets on my PC build, still cheaper/ faster - but very excited to roughly have parity between mobile & desktop), and a GH6 will likely be a better looking & functioning setup than a Sony A7S II w/Atomos recorder was a few years back with only the slightest of potential asterisks. IMO unless you're working on really high budget stuff, we are reaching image quality parity. Even more so if you don't have an eye as tuned for this type of stuff and are an average content viewer. I have the S1H and EVA1 and I suspect they won't look *that* much better than the GH6 except under special use cases (ie low light slow motion, very challenging DR). No way I will get rid of the S1H (until Mark II) with Milvus lenses, but it's not super travel friendly as a solo operator.

For a while I was obsessed with the tech specs, but that was because the gap between a GH4 and Arri Alexa was massive, there was a bunch of features missing that I really wanted in one place (4k60p 10-bit, lowlight, IBIS, small & light, etc.) so every camera announcement was super exciting. Not anymore. It's getting to be diminishing returns. Even more so factoring in software advancements (things like Cinematch make choosing a camera based on color science much more of a non-issue). Just give me a super easy/small/light setup to work with as a OMB while travelling so I can focus on the content and have FUN working. The GH6 is going to be fun to work with, easy to travel with, and get me 90% of the way there as an IQ geek... and 97% of the way there with the average client for most content (general b-roll and talking heads). When I am working locally, or when I need to shoot something with low light slow motion or really challenging dynamic range needs, or just show up to impress a client with a professional looking kit, that's where the Easy Rig & EVA1/S1H/Milvus come in.

For everything else... GH6 should be great.
                        Last edited by filmguy123; 10-27-2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zim View Post
                          Today they will announce that the new cameras are stuck on a container ship off the west coast!
                          The worst thing is that they might be stuck in 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post
                            I'd want the tax deduction on next year's return
                            getting slightly off-topic, but I think (and could someone else confirm?) that you deduct gear in the year you begin using it? so if you buy it this year but don't start using it until next year, it gets taken off from next year's taxes?
                            www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post
                              Disappointing - was expecting a release full of info today on anniversary, instead another announcement of a later announcement. Guess everything is running behind these days. Maybe a good thing - I agree on the need to pre-order instantly to get the camera anywhere close to launch, and I'd want the tax deduction on next year's return. Probably not alone on that given the slow market the last year? So 2022 for an official announcement is nice... I'm guessing we can expect a January announcement with March shipping.

Still interested. GH6 should be more than good enough for a ton of content. Small, nimble, closer to working with a cell phone with it's small and light lenses. The 10-25 lens paired with 4k60p 10-bit HEVC is great. The new M1 Pro/Max ships rip through HEVC, no need for Atomos recorder or ProRes for most of the things I do. No need for a QNAP or RAID anymore with HEVC efficiency and higher capacity SSD drives.

I look forward to travelling again with a 16" M1 Max, GH6, 10-25 lens, 8060 Shotgun, etc. Minimal stabilization needs. Stuff is getting so miniaturized and powerful these days... I'll be able take a powerhouse production setup in a backpack. The new MacBook's have roughly as much power as my 5950x Ryzen desktop (no regrets on my PC build, still cheaper/ faster - but very excited to roughly have parity between mobile & desktop), and a GH6 will likely be a better looking & functioning setup than a Sony A7S II w/Atomos recorder was a few years back with only the slightest of potential asterisks. IMO unless you're working on really high budget stuff, we are reaching image quality parity. Even more so if you don't have an eye as tuned for this type of stuff and are an average content viewer. I have the S1H and EVA1 and I suspect they won't look *that* much better than the GH6 except under special use cases (ie low light slow motion, very challenging DR). No way I will get rid of the S1H (until Mark II) with Milvus lenses, but it's not super travel friendly as a solo operator.

For a while I was obsessed with the tech specs, but that was because the gap between a GH4 and Arri Alexa was massive, there was a bunch of features missing that I really wanted in one place (4k60p 10-bit, lowlight, IBIS, small & light, etc.) so every camera announcement was super exciting. Not anymore. It's getting to be diminishing returns. Even more so factoring in software advancements (things like Cinematch make choosing a camera based on color science much more of a non-issue). Just give me a super easy/small/light setup to work with as a OMB while travelling so I can focus on the content and have FUN working. The GH6 is going to be fun to work with, easy to travel with, and get me 90% of the way there as an IQ geek... and 97% of the way there with the average client for most content (general b-roll and talking heads). When I am working locally, or when I need to shoot something with low light slow motion or really challenging dynamic range needs, or just show up to impress a client with a professional looking kit, that's where the Easy Rig & EVA1/S1H/Milvus come in.

For everything else... GH6 should be great.
                              I'm thinking to upgrade my 2015 MacBook Pro with the 14" Pro and probably not go all out.
                              10-Core CPU
                              16-Core GPU
                              16GB Unified Memory
                              1TB SSD Storageš

I would like to go with 2TB storage but $400 more. seems kind of pricey

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

getting slightly off-topic, but I think (and could someone else confirm?) that you deduct gear in the year you begin using it? so if you buy it this year but don't start using it until next year, it gets taken off from next year's taxes?
                                I bought a camera once and my accountant said I could deduct part of it over few years. (sorry, I don't remember how long). I think you can take it all the next year too. But, that could always change so you should ask your tax person.

Comment

Working...
                                X