Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All cameras eventually have price drops for extended periods of time.

Just not in the first year or so unless they are brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
      All cameras eventually have price drops for extended periods of time.

Just not in the first year or so unless they are brutal.
      They maintain prices by replacing a camera with a newer model for more money. There might be exceptions such as they might not want to upgrade or discontinue a camera but want to add a new product line. For example adding FF to the lineup and adjusting M43 down.
      Last edited by Peter C.; 08-17-2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter C. View Post
        They maintain prices by discontinuing a model and offering a newer version for more money. There might be exceptions such to move it down in price to not overlap a new higher end product line.
        That's the opposite of what's been happening; most new models besides a few highly anticipated exceptions have been lower.

Cinema cameras drops $1K, $2K over the years and some eventually have huge swings like C300 Mark II's PL which was introduced at $16,000 and is now $4,000.

C300 Mark III was introduced at $11,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Zim View Post
          As the world economy tanks and inflation will destroy buying power I would think the Japanese will either make a half ass camera or go all out and delivery something really good at a lower price. Plus the iPhone market has to hurt them.
          Inflation has been leveling off (and was largely attributable to a few categories with supply chain issues, such as trucks) and the economy has been rebounding nicely, at least before delta. Recent employment reports have been stellar

But hey, don't let me spoil your apocalyptic jeremiad
          www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

Inflation has been leveling off (and was largely attributable to a few categories with supply chain issues, such as trucks) and the economy has been rebounding nicely, at least before delta. Recent employment reports have been stellar

But hey, don't let me spoil your apocalyptic jeremiad
            Maybe you don't buy anything or go anywhere. It's very possible we hit double digit inflation. Nothing apocalyptic about it. I'm old enough to remember the 70's and early 80's. Speaking of truck I bought a brand new Ford truck in 1981. The interest rates was 18%.

Comment

Maybe you don't buy anything or go anywhere. It's very possible we hit double digit inflation. Nothing apocalyptic about it. I'm old enough to remember the 70's and early 80's. Speaking of truck I bought a brand new Ford truck in 1981. The interest rates was 18%.
              Inflation is real and I've noticed prices going up (not enough to cause panic). But to your previous point I wouldn't expect the camera manufactures to change their business practices and lower prices.
              Last edited by Peter C.; 08-17-2021, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I don't think the camera manufactures will ever change how they do business. That is to divide the marketplace into small feature niche hierarchy of cameras that don't directly compete against one another..
                The amusing factor here is that the status quo works very well for the two leaders with their own sensors fabs - Sony and Canon - but horribly for the other third of the market that buys their sensors from Sony. One would think that, in order to avoid a complete annihilation, that other third - Nikon, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus and whatever is left off Pentax - would, at leas, try to survive by going to other subcontractors. Yet, it looks they're quite content to go down with the sinking ship. They're like the peloton rabbits, signaling to the rest they're about to jump off the cliff first.

Comment

That's the opposite of what's been happening; most new models besides a few highly anticipated exceptions have been lower.

Cinema cameras drops $1K, $2K over the years and some eventually have huge swings like C300 Mark II's PL which was introduced at $16,000 and is now $4,000.

C300 Mark III was introduced at $11,000.
                  Those cameras aren't representative of the general market. There's a higher markup on those type of cameras so they probably have a high initial offering early adopters.

Comment

I don't really know what you're saying - but in general, prices are going down, not up.

Not sure how you could think it would make any business sense to raise them besides for a couple of new models/versions, 2-3 special ones per year.

Comment

I don't really know what you're saying - but in general, prices are going down, not up.

Not sure how you could think it would make any business sense to raise them besides for a couple of new models/versions, 2-3 special ones per year.
                      You seem to want to disagree with everything.
                      Release Price
                      A7II $1699
                      A7III $1999
                      For your homework go research the GH series release price history.

Comment

You seem to want to disagree with everything.
                        Release Price
                        A7II $1699
                        A7III $1999
                        For your homework go research the GH series release price history.
                        No offense, but only with you because I have never seen someone so wrong about so much in 12 years on forums.

Do you understand what in general means?

Overall, cameras have dropped tremendously than what they used to cost. This is common sense.

Yeah, 4-5 years later some cameras that are twice as good as their previous models might be 200-300 bucks more than the previous HD-only version, here and there.

Comment

Yes....everyone who lived through it expects a return of stagflation...

Looking at the chart, there has been a vast increase in the cost of fuel and used trucks. But it's leveling out.

E8gpdEmWYAMg4mj.jpeg

There will always be inflation. The government targets 2% but is considering raising the target to 3% in light of how trying to tamp down inflation and ending up with lower than targeted inflation has depressed employment for the last 20 years.

That was one thing I appreciated about Trump. He told the inflation hawks to go to hell because he cared more about boosting employment.
                          www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

No offense, but only with you because I have never seen someone so wrong about so much in 12 years on forums.

Do you understand what in general means?

Overall, cameras have dropped tremendously than what they used to cost. This is common sense.

Yeah, 4-5 years later some cameras that are twice as good as their previous models might be 200-300 bucks more than the previous HD-only version, here and there.
                            I think Peter has a point here. But really it looks like a pricing convergence. $16k models now debut at $11k. $2500 models now debut at $4k.
                            www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

I think Peter has a point here. But really it looks like a pricing convergence. $16k models now debut at $11k. $2500 models now debut at $4k.
                              Personally, I don't think so. I think new models with new technology are new models, with a few exceptions.

Which $2500 model is now $4K? a7SIII?

That would be a major exception with a list of about 20 different things I can think of that improved over the previous model.

Should have been a new model, but they know better than to change its name.

Seriously, it's such a different camera than the a7SII...if you want to go by just model numbers - sure; maybe you'll find more cameras that "increased" - but the technology difference is silly.

Comment

Not many cameras will be able to get away with that kind of nomenclature profiting.

a7SIII will probably go down as top 5 of the most anticipated cameras in the history of cameras.

Comment

Working...
                                X