Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since the BGH1 is really a GH5S in a box and it now has ProRes RAW to Ninja V I expect the same firmware is coming to the GH5S. I hope that is true as I have GH5S and Ninja V already but hope it does that for UHD 60P

Comment

Is it possible to use ProRes RAW in DaVinci Resolve?

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel Dilworth View Post
        Nope

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel Dilworth View Post
          Edius can use ProRes RAW and BRAW. It will also export ProRes. Windows only.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Smet View Post
            Nope
            Surely there’s a longer answer involving transcoding with some helpful free tool?

Otherwise I’m hoping the GH5S gets ProRes RAW and BRAW as, I think, the S1H supports. Because I recently committed to Resolve Studio.

Comment

Originally posted by DLD View Post
              Bada Bing!

Side note - when GH-4 came out, the demand was so high, Panasonic had to open up a second assembly line. The first one was tapped out at 5,000 units monthly. I figure there are somewhere around 300,000 GH-4's out there. But, with the sub-$3,000 4K market so saturated with competition, I doubt any unit can move this many.

Multi-aspect is no big deal. It's all in software. The rest is obviously unknown and depends not only on engineering but on the marketing as well. When GH-4 came out, its 4K competition was FS-700 w/Convergent Design Odyssey for about $10,000 combined and 1D C for $12,000. That made GH-4 a tremendous value for what it was. It's a different ballgame now. And the ILC sales are around half of what they were back in 2014. They're rebounding off the Covid lows but still trending downward.
              I'm not entirely sure what your point is. The multi-aspect sensor is due to how much of the sensor is used in the wider part of the image circle for DCI and UHD 4k video. Its a wider FOV that what is used on the GH5 image circle. Thats partially why IBIS is harder on the GH%S because there isn't as much room to move the sensor around. If it did have IBIS it would have sucked compared to the GH5 IBIS. It would have also added even more to the cost of the GH5S which is already way over priced for what it is.

While yes software can determine what portion of the sensor to use the normal image circle region a camera would typically use on the GH5S only has 3680 pixels across the width. Thats not enough for UHD so the GH5S has no choice but to use multi-aspect in order to grab an extended width from the middle of the sensor for 3840 and 4096 width video. So the sensor does kind of dictate if multi-aspect needs to be used or not. On the GH2 it only really helped reduce the crop factor a little bit but it wasn't really a must to get video out of the GH2. Panasonic got rid of the multi-aspect after the GH2 because it just wasn't really worth it. That is until the GH5S where they wanted each pixel to be as large as possible for light gathering. To do that the sensor normal image circle in 4x3 wasn't wide enough for UHD or DCI video so they used multi-aspect once again to be able to manage enough pixels for 16x9 and 17x9 video.

Some users love that the GH5S is a bit wider for DCI and when adding a 0.64x focal reducer gets them 1/2 way in between APS-C and FF crop factor. This essentially makes the GH5S very close to a FF camera when shooting DCI 4k.

The P4k is just using a 17x9 sensor region so no need to adjust the aspect ratio for taller formats. Its already as wide as the multi-aspect GH5s shooting DCI.

Comment

I guess this is an official press release for II. Leaked.

https://www.43rumors.com/leaked-gh5i...#disqus_thread

Live stream is at 10 AM EDT.

Comment

Looks like the notable upgrades are 5G wireless streaming (when wirelessly tethered to a smartphone), 4K 10-bit 60p C4k, and new types of subject recognition for AF
                  www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

GH6 Image: https://www.43rumors.com/first-leake...f-the-new-gh6/

Comment

Panasonic is proud to announce the development of the Lumix GH6 that combines the new Micro Four Thirds sensor and a new image processor. This flagship camera of the Lumix G Series will be commercialized for its release to world markets by the end of 2021.

As the next milestone in the evolution of the legacy of Lumix cameras, Panasonic is proud to announce that the development of the Lumix GH6 is underway. The flagship of the Lumix G Series and the latest model of the GH line, it is renowned for its stunning mobility and innovative video performance. Combining the high-speed sensor and Venus Engine image processor, the new GH6 realizes next-generation video expression. Providing 4:2:2 10-bit DCI 4K/60p recording capability, the Lumix GH6 achieves unlimited video recording when the camera is used under the certified operating temperature. It is reliable enough to record continuous footage for a desired duration. It also provides a 10-bit 4K 120p High Frame Rate (HFR) and Variable Frame Rate (VFR) for high resolution slow/quick motion video. Moreover, the GH6 records 10-bit 5.7K 60p video by taking full advantage of the newly developed Micro Four Thirds sensor. Accommodating a variety of recording modes and shooting assist functions, the GH6 enables photo/video hybrid-use for various purposes including films, music videos, documentaries and short clips for social media to meet the creators' needs.

Additional information regarding the release of this product will be announced at a later date.

Comment

End of 2021 is kind of far away. Why would one buy the GH5 II with the GH6 on the way? If they offered a trade in for existing GH bodies to keep people in the system maybe. The GH6 better have some good dynamic range or it will be tough to justify. I am sure it will be a solid camera with fast readout speeds. Seems like the GH5 II is a year or two late, but the tech was not there.

The DPReview footage with the GH5 II has sort of a yellow/bronze look similar to the new Sony skin tones. We will see but I do not think 4k60p is going to be enough of a headline to cement GH6 sales orders.

Comment

500 fps - awesome!
                          10-180 zoom - wicked!

Oh not 500 fps. Or anything else.

Snooze.
                          http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Several things of interest to me. First is ProRes RAW for the GH5S and as far as GH6, 5.7K at 60P would be of interest . Will need to see how it compares to the BM 6K Pro which may still have the edge though but would need me to buy a whole new set of lenses. May be something for me to think of changing my GH5 for the GH6 later. No interest in the GH5 II though.

Not quite sure I understand all your complaints. Cars change every year some with the same name and marginal improvements. Like new paint and radios !!

As far as comparing the GH5II and the GH6 one is $1700 and the other $2500 for a start. They will coexist after the GH6 has arrived and I would expect new S version and BGH 2 ?

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
                              500 fps - awesome!
                              10-180 zoom - wicked!

Oh not 500 fps. Or anything else.

Snooze.
                              this post gave me heart palpitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman2003 View Post
                                End of 2021 is kind of far away. Why would one buy the GH5 II with the GH6 on the way? If they offered a trade in for existing GH bodies to keep people in the system maybe. The GH6 better have some good dynamic range or it will be tough to justify. I am sure it will be a solid camera with fast readout speeds. Seems like the GH5 II is a year or two late, but the tech was not there.

The DPReview footage with the GH5 II has sort of a yellow/bronze look similar to the new Sony skin tones. We will see but I do not think 4k60p is going to be enough of a headline to cement GH6 sales orders.
                                Because both are going to be current products. Instead of just one higher end camera Panasonic will now have two. Thats why they bumped up the GH5 to the GH5 mk2. Its a current model instead of selling a five year old camera as one of their main products.

Not everyone needs 4k 120p or 4k 60p 10bit 4:2:2 or 5.7k video. The Gh5 despite being five years old still sells fairly well and can hold its own compared to a lot of other more recent cameras. The Gh6 also looks like it may be $2,500 for all that extra stuff and a GH5 mk2 makes sense for those that still want a solid 4k camera with IBIS for endless shooting but don't really need all the other stuff. The GH5 mk2 now has the ability to shoot 10bit 4k 60p which is one of the most asked for features. Some more traditional video production shooters prefer 60p for real life and some film makers really wanted the extra ability for 24p slow motion. Now 4k 60p will suddenly make sense shooting V-log L. So the GH5 mk2 will be a nice budget yet professional option to save some money for many users.

Plus I am going to take a wild guess and say the GH6 will not be all that much better in low light. We don't yet know what the sensor actually is but if Panasonic is claiming 5.7k video this time and not their strange definition of 6k from a 5.2k sensor then the sensor may in fact be at least 5700 wide now meaning slower to 24 MP. Whatever sensor advancement gains may be offset by the even smaller pixels. This could mean even finer noise however so higher ISOs may have as much noise but smaller and finer noise. So we may get the impression of a 1/2 stop improvement or so when pushing ISO. We will have to see.

Again however not every user will need a 24MP sensor for stills and the added frame rate options of the GH6. Awesome camera for sure but if one exclusively shoots 24p and only shoots video it may be a tad overkill.

I for one am very glad Panasonic is providing more professional options. In the past the had a ton of m43 camera options but everything below the one GH flagship camera tended to be more consumer focused. For the first time we now have two modern GH models to choose from. Actually three models if you count the GH5S. GH5MK2 for budget pro stills and video, GH5S for video only and low light and the GH6 for a higher end hybrid stills and video camera. All provide unique feature sets and different prices.

I for one would like the 24 MP for stills but I don't need 5.7k video. The GH5mk2 still makes sense for video only shooters that may occasional shoot some stills but only ever pan on shooting 24p, 30p or 60 4k and just need 10bit and not 4:2:2 to help provide V-log L enough range to not fall apart. The GH5mk2 is potentially going to be $700 less than the GH6 which is a lot of money for many shooters. For those that don't really ned th 60p 10bit they can still pick up some older/used GH5 models for $1,200 which kind of adds a fourth GH priced option right now. I have a feeling the GH5mk2 is going to completely replace the GH5 however so used may be the only option going forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X