Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DLD View Post
    ...an $8K camera at Best Buy for $1,500, as will certainly be the case within two years?
    From the latest news I've heard, Best Buy maybe not be around two years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Kelly View Post
      From the latest news I've heard, Best Buy maybe not be around two years from now.
      1000 stores .... they may close 40-50 .... their revenues are up significantly in 2020 and in Q1 of 2021 ...

Side note, I knew one of their ex-presidents ... never thought of him highly, couldn't believe he even got anywhere close to that level .... but he didn't last long ...

Comment

Getting back on topic...

The GH6 - The only thing that could induce me to buy it would be if it had a killer feature that was not available anywhere else. For me, that would be the ability to record 8K at 60P. Nobody else can do that presently. They all top out at 30P. Is 8K 60P doable? Who knows. But there is some precedent. Panasonic was the first to introduce 4K at 60P in a mirrorless camera (GH5). So, maybe, just maybe...

Comment

The 12K URSA can do 8K/120p, full sensor DCI. And 2:4:1 8K/160p.

RED's Monstro can do 8K/60p too, maybe some others.

Comment

I should have said, "anywhere else at a reasonable price".

Comment

Depending on who you ask, $10K could be considered a once in a lifetime price for that kind of camera at this time, but I hear you...I think more will come soon.

Companies will continue to slowly milk us as they always have, but 8K/60p should come sooner than 4K/60p did.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                Companies will continue to slowly milk us as they always have, but 8K/60p should come sooner than 4K/60p did.
                Interesting. I’ve never once been “milked” by a camera company. Making a bad purchase decision, or unnecessarily chasing the product release cycle leads to a poor ROI among other things, but those are self inflicted wounds.

As to the question at hand, I’d like a GH6 if it was an AF200. At his point Panasonic would do well to ditch the DSLR hybrid form factor. Let the G9 be a stills centric cam and the GH5 successor be motion centric. They are going to age tougher time selling this as an optimal hybrid cam with FF hybrids eclipsing M43 stills capabilities.

Comment

An 8K 60P version of the BG-H1 with BRAW would be great.

Comment

Interesting that you mention BRAW, because at 8K 60P the codec is going to be a major issue. H265 is a decoding nightmare at those pixel counts. But BRAW is aptly suited for this task. Would be nice.

Comment

If BM brought out a Pocket 8K Pro that may be the next for me. I am sure they have the technology from the 12K and it will be interesting to see if they do that. An 8K MFT would also work for me to go with my GH5 and GH5S.

Comment

Originally posted by hotchkiss View Post
                        Interesting. I’ve never once been “milked” by a camera company. Making a bad purchase decision, or unnecessarily chasing the product release cycle leads to a poor ROI among other things, but those are self inflicted wounds.
                        Yeah, that's true...if someone buys one camera every 10 years or so, not much milk there.

If you're on the cutting edge of technology, you're definitely wounding yourself a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post
                          If BM brought out a Pocket 8K Pro that may be the next for me. I am sure they have the technology from the 12K and it will be interesting to see if they do that. An 8K MFT would also work for me to go with my GH5 and GH5S.
                          Everyone for sure thinks that's next...it has to be.

Comment

Sony does have a 47 MPX MFT sensor (IMX492LQJ) but it's had it since September, 2019. It can only do 30P at 8K max though.

IMO, a 47 MPX sensor benefits more the Olympus/OMD stills business. Without a decent auto focus, one might as well get Pocket 6K for video.

Comment

Yeah, 8K 60P is a tall order. It's really pushing the envelope. But that's what it would take to get me to buy a GH6.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                                Everyone for sure thinks that's next...it has to be.
                                Yes that may also be another reason that the 6K Pro body is a little bigger with more fan performance. Using the 12K sensor but limiting to 8K would mean they already have all the electronics etc. It would be a perfect B camera for the 12K.

Comment

Working...
                                X