Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Roper View Post
    More than a home run, the 8K Alpha-1 is looking like a World Series winning Grand Slam. Gerald Undone’s review is up; A1 seems to have it all, clean low light, efficient codec with lower cost memory cards, supreme AF, IBIS, better DR than A7SIII, shatters notions that smaller pixels can’t do low light or DR.
    I'm sure an Arri Alexa has a lot of nice features too... but expecting some of these features in the MFT format from a company who's clearly moving on to full frame may be a bit too pie-in-the-sky. Especially if you're not dying to spend $4000 on a MFT camera.

It's been about 3 months since the main bulk of comments on this thread, and nope, still do not give a s%&* about 8K. If I were shooting a $200 million movie I'd feel the same way. This - much like the aborted 3D push a decade ago - has very little to do with artistic or technical need, but rather a desire to sell more TV sets down the line.

Of course, YMMV and 8K is the bees knees, but how's about giving us one more stop more dynamic range or skin tones that don't look like puke? Or maybe audio levels that aren't so hot as to melt your headphones even when set to negative 12, or - AND THIS IS GOING TO SOUND CRAZY - autofocus that doesn't pulse like a machine gun from ALIENS when it works at all - You know, the little things.

Until Panasonic can fix that last little bitty problem, does it really matter what the other stats are? Every major new camera from the competition stomps Panasonic in this regard, and has surpassed the GH5 in all the other ways that matter. Have we heard a peep about this actually happening? About Panny giving up it's DFDF system?

Tell you what guys - if the GH6 can autofocus, then I'll accept 8K, un-needed as it is, and plunk down my money. Sadly, smart money is on my money safely being spent on scotch.
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

Comment

Originally posted by DLD View Post
      A1 eliminated the rolling shutter effect in stills. It can also do 4K at 120 fps, so one assumes that A1 4K RS problems, if any, are negligible.
      But the appreciable difference between 8K and 4K is also negligible.

That's what I'm saying. At this point in history, improvements in image quality are all going to be subliminal.

My contention has always been that global shutter will for me be more useful and more pleasant than any resolution increase beyond 2K. When many people think of rolling-shutter artifacts, they think of the bent telephone poles when you pan fast. There are other artifacts that are not totally removed until the shutter is genuinely global, the most common of which is half-frame exposures from other people's flashes, lightning, etc. Also quick rotary movements from fans, golf swings, etc.

"But those are all rare and subliminal".

I would say, so is hyper-high-definition --- only more so
      Last edited by combatentropy; 02-04-2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Everyone looks at different applications and as such have different requirements. For my use both my GH5 and GH5S are on tripods. do not move when shooting and are in manual focus. So I do not need IBIS ( or even lens OIS ), I focus before shooting ( do not need continuous auto focus ) and yes fast movement would benefit from global shutter but I shoot everything at 60P also. Only reason for me for UHD was to crop in for 1920x1080 so 8K just gives even more freedom to crop/pan/zoom in post. Only problem I see is that 8K will only be 30P so not what I want for such high resolution. Blackmagic 12K would be perfect for me if it wasn't so expensive !!

Comment

Originally posted by combatentropy View Post
          But the appreciable difference between 8K and 4K is also negligible.

That's what I'm saying. At this point in history, improvements in image quality are all going to be subliminal...
          The Potato Jet posted a video of him looking at 8K, 4K and HD frames side by side. He said he couldn't tell 8K from 4K but I could. Despite not sitting in front of a 4K monitor at a point blank range and only looking at thumbnails via YouTube. YMMV.

FWIW, most reviews of A1 are glowing, though most reviewers do not have 8K monitors either. Undone did say that he would prefer to have two bodies in A7SIII and A7RIV for the same price but admitted to not being a stills shooter per se. RIV has a slightly higher resolution and can be marginally better for studio work but A1 has a better low light and is far more suitable for action, wildlife, BiF.

Sal, the Adorama guy, took A1 for a helicopter flight over Manhattan, where the 8K video was quite spectacular.

Comment

I'd like to see aster rolling shutter or global shutter above other things too. 10 bit depth, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 would be fantastic too. I only own a 4k TV because it was as cheap or cheaper than lower res. TV's when I bought it, not drooling over 8k at all.

I am still kind of thinking about a Sigma fp though, just not seeing prices that move me to get one, and no work to push me to buy new.

Comment

The Potato Jet posted a video of him looking at 8K, 4K and HD frames side by side. He said he couldn't tell 8K from 4K but I could.
              Are you talking about maybe this video? If you would, please point me to the video and time counter. I'm sorry, I tried to watch it through to make sure it had the comparison you mention, but I'm allergic to Youtubers and am begging for mercy so I don't have to watch for all 12 minutes.

Despite not sitting in front of a 4K monitor at a point blank range and only looking at thumbnails via YouTube.
              I'm not sure what this means. After you point out where the video segment is, can you tell me a little bit more about how you watched it? What was the resolution of your monitor, and how far away from it were you?

If you aren't watching 8K video at 8K, then you may well like what you see, but I don't see how it could be the resolution that you like.

Comment

If you aren't watching 8K video at 8K, then you may well like what you see, but I don't see how it could be the resolution that you like.
                Oversampling for more accurately resolved lower resolution output?
                www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

I read if they choose to employ a 16:9 ratio sensor, the resolution can be in the mid 30's MPX for 8k video. But, I am to the point that I think they need to do something soon as the whole thing is becoming irrelevant to some extent. If Panasonic waits too long Sony will have the A7IV out for the same or less money and the GH6 will be an even tougher sell imho. I was expecting this camera to be announced in the summer with a fall delivery. Here we are in Feb. and not even a teaser. Makes me think they are in the weeds or waiting for the super sensor the Sony is supposedly making. But 40+ MPX on a M4/3rds just to have the resolution seems like a move too far in one direction. I guess it all depends upon the speed of the entire system. If the high MPX is at the cost of other functions like HFR or noise then it is a poor choice imho. The M4/3rds format has a processing edge against the FF sensors. To me, these camera should be able to do gymnastics like 4k240. It should at least have killer 1080p240 or they are wasting the smaller format. The main reason I want to upgrade from my GH5 is the noise performance. I love IBIS so the GH5s is out. I am still waiting but not patiently

Comment

Are you talking about maybe this video? If you would, please point me to the video and time counter. I'm sorry, I tried to watch it through to make sure it had the comparison you mention, but I'm allergic to Youtubers and am begging for mercy so I don't have to watch for all 12 minutes..
                    It begins at ~ 3.10 in.

Comment

The Potato Jet posted a video of him looking at 8K, 4K and HD frames side by side. He said he couldn't tell 8K from 4K but I could. Despite not sitting in front of a 4K monitor at a point blank range and only looking at thumbnails via YouTube. YMMV..
                      Potato Jet, Peter McWhatsit, the Finnish Canadian and all the other guys are entertainers but not working for clients. So who cares what they think about 8K?

Comment

I moved from Panasonic (EVA1, S1, GH5, GH5s) to Canon. I sold every thing except both GH5 cameras. I thought I would keep at least one as they are very handy for rigging in tight spaces with a suction cup or a clamp. The XLR adapter is sth I miss on the R5. I didn't use them since I have the C300iii / R5 so they might go with a tear in my eye too. They are really tiny beasts still after that may years but it makes no sense to keep gear I don't use.

Comment

Yeah my GH5 isn't going anywhere. If you don't push the limits of its sensitivity or DR, and if you don't need autofocus, it's still a champ. Good for macro as well due to the crop. Very handy for an extra camera angle, and the resale value hardly merits selling it. But I suppose that a sony a6xxx could replace it for me, or an APS-C canon body for you, and for <$1500
                          www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                            But I suppose that a sony a6xxx could replace it for me, or an APS-C canon body for you, and for <$1500
                            the horrible wobbly a6300 with the awful rolling shutter made me test the GH5 and that was the 1st step into the Panasonic world. I can't imagine going back to these.

Comment

Originally posted by Clermond View Post
                              the horrible wobbly a6300 with the awful rolling shutter made me test the GH5 and that was the 1st step into the Panasonic world. I can't imagine going back to these.
                              Haha I expect that the latest are much improved. If they make a 10-bit internal a6xxx with 4k60p I will give it a hard look, if only because I already have an A7SIII and e-mount lenses. I mean - sony is class-leading in rolling shutter on several cameras at this point. They could screw up the APS-C body, but I bet it will be passable
                              www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                                Yeah my GH5 isn't going anywhere. If you don't push the limits of its sensitivity or DR, and if you don't need autofocus, it's still a champ. Good for macro as well due to the crop. Very handy for an extra camera angle, and the resale value hardly merits selling it. But I suppose that a sony a6xxx could replace it for me, or an APS-C canon body for you, and for <$1500
                                Completely agree. My GH5 is still my A-cam for certain shoots like outdoor run and gun stuff. But even if it weren't, it still is the very best extra camera to have in my bag.

Comment

Working...
                                X