Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post

*the thread is 'who is interested in GH6' -> basically no one, certainly not until AF is top notch.
    6.5k views beg to differ. And one of the biggest viewerships recently was a thread about GH6 rumors, with just under 30k views.

Comment

Originally posted by James0b57 View Post
      Would be great to see more M43 super zooms for ENG...
      ENG w/AF (plus the photocentric models at right prices) may be the last chance for the MFT. Practicality.

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
        *the thread is 'who is interested in GH6' -> basically no one, certainly not until AF is top notch.
        I’m definitely interested in what they can squeeze into the next GH iteration, Sam.

I will wait to see what Panny offer. I’ve got a decent fleet of nice native MFT and Sony E lenses, so I’m kinda hoping a GH6 will wow me beyond doubt to stay with MFT.

As you know, I jumped ship from the FS7 to GH5/S and never looked back.

Re native lenses that adapt when zooming and with distortion etc, I loved the Sony 18-110on the FS7. That had some electronic jiggery pokery going on, but always felt like a nice manual 2/3 zoom lens with decent focus throw.

I wonder if a “pro” fixed aperture version of the Panny Leica 12-60 is what we’re after here. Give it the 10-25 treatment, but include IS.

Otherwise, I find my 12-35 2.8 covers 90%+ of my actuality needs, with a very occasional swap to 35-100 2.8. And the Nocticron 42.5 whenever I can find an excuse to use it. Love that lens - any time I think about ditching MFT, I ask myself, “but what about the Nocticron?..”

In the meantime, my £4k tripod system gathers dust on a shelf, because dual IBIS on the GH5 has replaced my need for sticks/legs on a shoot. And I use a tiny lightweight tripod for static interviews.
        Ben Giles BFE BAFTA

www.matobo.co.uk

@MatoboLtd

Comment

I’m definitely interested in what they can squeeze into the next GH iteration, Sam.

Sure - we are all interested we are all hoping.

Remember I have a GH4 and a bit of MFT glass - I too love the image from the GH5s (and have said its better than the fs7) - Im not a panny hater.

But my guess is that sony and canon OWN auto focus and are not giving it away - not to Panny not to Red or Arri or JVC or Zcam or BMC

And that is a big problem for all those brands including Arri.

So assuming mediocre AF what is the GH6 gonna give?
          ND ?- I doubt that,
          Clean 4k250 500HD ? - I doubt that
          SDI and a pro EVF ? - I doubt that
          A new 12-100 ? lens with proper control?
          What do you want from this camera? The 5 are excelent boxes that shoot video.

So the likelyhood is you can keep the 5 series and buy a new mountain bike or some Godox LED having had your interest piqued for a couple of minutes by the GH6
          Last edited by morgan_moore; 11-21-2020, 02:49 AM.
          http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Good pragmatic points, as always, Sam.

Internal ND on a mirrorless - that would up the ante.

AF - I’m still not absolutely sure if/how that would work with my style of shooting.

The FX6 was looking like sliced bread until a couple of bloggers start pointing out how the AF selection is ar$e about t1t and that it won’t follow someone, unlike the A7S3.

Unless it’s 100% reliable, when using it in a hurry under pressure (and occasionally at -30 C), the jury’s still out for me on AF.

New MTB - mmm, you’ve got me thinking...

Ben.
            Ben Giles BFE BAFTA

www.matobo.co.uk

@MatoboLtd

Comment

I mean panny just launched this BGH1 thing. They clearly demonstrate they are dead on the idea front. Or dead communicating thier ideas.

(https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consume...s/dc-bgh1.html)

Yes it has ethernet which I hear is gaining some traction in the fixed cam covid safe remote world... im working on the same thing with a £40 pi camera.

All run on the new lumix tether software.. apart from they have not released it yet. Buy a camera to work remotely off of unreleased software?.. insanity

But no ND.. and if you are going to sit at home operating your cam over the web.. you cant be changing a filter. A remote cam doesnt work without remote ND, not to mention FIZ of course.

No screen? - not even a go pro size screen. WHat a foooking pain to go and set up 5 of them for the MDs covid remote presentation having to plug in a monitor to each unit.

The a camera is cooler than a GH4, and more interesting but buy it ? No chance.

==

ps I think the FX6 follows people well and products/things badly. I tried to ask Mr Bloom on his youtube review but he just had a hissy fit when I suggested that the best way to control focus was maybe to turn a ring on a the lens.
              Last edited by morgan_moore; 11-21-2020, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Panasonic disables the phase detection on the sensors it buys from Sony, which leaves only the contrast detection. And even that is crippled. Maybe, at some point, Sony will let them have PD but then Panasonic will have to disable some other feature.

Of course, Panasonic could offer a LiDAR based auto focus a la iPhone 12 but it won't. There are, however, third party vendors that are offering it (which might help the smaller camera manufacturers like BMD and EZ Cam even more).

Comment

Topic drift to me it seems clear that the future of focus involves two lenses - of which neither is the taking lens

I mean drones are covered in cameras and cost same as a packet of crisps now - it’s not a financial restriction

Comment

Originally posted by stoneinapond View Post
                    6.5k views beg to differ. And one of the biggest viewerships recently was a thread about GH6 rumors, with just under 30k views.
                    Indeed.
                    www.markoconnell.org

Comment

After using the GH5 for a couple of years, I think Panasonic has improved the AF quite a bit via firmware. The camera seems to acquire focus very well, it has a problem staying calm and keeping the right focus. If they can fix that, the AF will be quite satisfactory imho. It seems to me that they are hoping AI will save the functionality of their DFD system. Lets hope four+ years of silicon development plus a "fix" regarding hunting wobble can have a positive impact. Otherwise I think they know the faithful will pass on the upgrade.

Overall, Panasonic does have a place in our hearts and we are rooting for them imho.

Comment

The GH5S has gone out of stock in a lot of European shops (still easily found, but at unfavourable prices).

Meanwhile, the GH5 is being bundled with accessories and sold at a discount, such as here by Fnac in France (€1699 for camera, 12–60 mm f/3.5–5.6 lens, DJI Ronin-SC gimbal, 32 GB memory card, and a second battery – a pretty good deal, actually).

Usually these things happen near the end. I suspect we’ll see a GH6 within a few months.

Comment

"Meanwhile, the GH5 is being bundled with accessories and sold at a discount,..."

I noticed that last week in the B&H mailers and had the same thought. I considered mentioning it but then thought better of it. There will be vociferous denials.
                          www.markoconnell.org

Comment

After beating up on the GH5 I was toying with the idea of getting one. I've been looking for a gimbal camera and the GH5 has 3 attractive features:
                            1. Price: recently been discounted to $1,300 and the lens being affordable and light compared to FF
                            2. 60p: shoots 4k60 without over heating
                            3. Stabilization: has the best ibs
                            The Cons are the c-AF and low light performance.

My other options are A6600, A7C, A7III (all have better AF but no 4k/60)

Comment

It is a great gimbal camera until it is not I have had good luck with it but it will just lose it from time to time. Hopefully those time periods are not critical. Otherwise you are golden.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter C. View Post
                                After beating up on the GH5 I was toying with the idea of getting one. I've been looking for a gimbal camera and the GH5 has 3 attractive features:
                                1. Price: recently been discounted to $1,300 and the lens being affordable and light compared to FF
                                2. 60p: shoots 4k60 without over heating
                                3. Stabilization: has the best ibs
                                The Cons are the c-AF and low light performance.

My other options are A6600, A7C, A7III (all have better AF but no 4k/60)
                                Gh5 was my go-to gimbal camera for a few years before getting the S1 and then the A7SIII.

I pulled focus manually using the Ronin-S focus motor, which worked really well but requires skill and concentration.

Definitely has great IBIS. With a speedbooster and a fast lens, it can do decently well in low light.

BUT I shoot a lot of weddings with extremely dark dance floors and other scenes. The GH5 was inadequate for those scenarios, or at least you would have to light or only pick angles that were lit. Whereas with the S1 and now A7SIII I can shoot fly-on-the-wall of anyone anywhere and work with the ambient light/environment.

The dynamic range of the GH5 also lags behind a lot of other cameras. even just on a sunny day, it feels like bright grass is pushing to the edges of the exposure range.

Of course, I was shooting it in CineD and not v-log L. I didnt shoot much v-log with the camera. With v-log, it could probably have acceptable DR if you want to go that route.

Gotta say though... the AF on my A7SIII makes the day go a lot faster and nails some tricky pulls where I approach minimum focus distance moving in on an object. Yesterday I shot a ton of b-roll of exhibition rooms and individual artworks at Christie's auction house and I was just flying through it. Mostly on Samyang 18 f/2.8 FE which has great AF and I bought for $240 on Amazon prime day sale
                                www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Working...
                                X