Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dvx200 - right. Except it's not an interchangeable lens camera and the codecs are crappy.

But it has a 13x 2.8-4.5 lens. That's what I'm talking about!
    www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

I've heard that with integrated lenses, they can cut corners. By mating the camea to the lens, the camera electronically can correct for:

- variofocus
      - breathing
      - chromatic aberrations
      - etc.

Therefore, I'm not sure if an interchangeable lens can be as small, light, and good as an integrated one.

Nevertheless I agree, would rather have an interchangeable mount, so I can choose my own zooms and, for those shallow-focus shots, attach primes.

Comment

You can get in-camera corrections for various flaws like CA and distortion on mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. All you need are lens profiles. I'm sure they could do the same thing here
        www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

That's a good point. I'm a little behind the times. But the big thing with an integrated lens was "variofocal tracking". They could use a lens that wasn't parfocal but make it act parfocal, because the camera would constantly adjust focus, according to some preprogrammed formula, as you zoom.

I'm unsure if parfocality contributes to size and weight, but it seems to. The cheapest and lightest lenses seem to be variofocal. (But those also have ramping apertures, which may reduce size and weight more than parfocality).

Need a camera rep to chime in here ;) My knowledge of lensmaking is a smorgasborg of blog and forum posts, not very reliable.

Comment

I think it is a moot point as M4/3rds is barely hanging on with interchangeable stills cameras, much less a specialty video camera implementation unless you want a box with a mount on it. Integrated is probably the farthest it will go. I do not see a motorized f2.8 servo zoom lens being created on speculation and powering it is not really built into any of the camera bodies either.

Comment

Defo 'integrated' lenses can pull off a lot of stunts like being 'parfocal' defishing and the like - no reason AFAIK that as long as the meta data is managed properly that one could not have a removable zoom lens that had this functionality.

I dont dissaprove. Making a zoom lens is either gonna cost or need every cheat in the book where an example of a cheat is closing to T4 and ramping the ISO when zooming

We are talking about a contant aquisition camera here.

--

Bassman

You are right - its either a non starter or some one (like panny) sits down and decides that as they are a market failure* getting whipped in the S35 and bigger club by sony and canon they should put thier design thoughts into a different direction - a vagely cinematic content aquisition device

*the thread is 'who is interested in GH6' -> basically no one, certainly not until AF is top notch.
              http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

With in-camera upres, one can get longer reach with crops and fake zooms too. Smartphones can double the res without much loss. Of course, one can do that in post as well.

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
                  the thread is 'who is interested in GH6' -> basically no one
                  au contraire, I saw some posts expressing interest. As for me, the first company to make something like a $2,000 stills-camera body + global shutter will catch my interest, with a sensor anywhere from S16 to 135, and a resolution anywhere from 2K+.

Comment

I primarily shoot on these camcorders so I can speak to the issue. Since these aren't parafocal lenses, the camera will change the focus when you zoom even if the camera is set to manual. In low light/contrast situations it can incorrectly modify the focus. The problem is you have no control over what its doing. You can get soft images despite setting the focus. Because these sensors are so small the dof is large it's not a huge issue. I was taught to zoom in get my focus then pull back but that's no longer the proper method.

I saw the Cx350 mentioned, despite its short comings with a built in variable lens, it's an excellent and versatile camera, and I believe it can film in log, and the codec better than what you would normally get with this style of camera. These cameras have a use and in many circumstances run circles around cinema cameras.

Comment

Would be great to see more M43 super zooms for ENG. I hate the idea of integrated zooms, because it seems like such a waste to throw out the whole camcorder when upgrading down the road, and as a result, often causing the use of cheaper zooms, instead of better ones.

If they made more M43 fast par focal super zooms for ENG work, I would be very interested in all things M43. As it stands, I am not interested in M43. The BMP4K offered and interesting option when it came out because it was one of the few low cost raw cameras. But that time has past for me now.

Comment

James always sounds so wistful

Re:aperture ramping that people have discussed - I really don't see it as a dealbreaker. You can set your aperture to whatever the maximum is at full telephoto and then zoom around without exposure changes. I have done that all the time with my tamron 18-270 f/3.5-6.3. Sure, it would be better to have a constant f/2.8 than a 2.8-4. But it's better to have a 2.8-4 than a constant 4, so...
                        www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                          James always sounds so wistful
                          Toska is the word. =)

Comment

Have you looked at the Canon CN-E zooms? They are the 18-80mm and 70-200mm. Have a motorized zoom. They are par focal, work well on the GH5, even with a speedbooster.

Comment

Originally posted by Atobit View Post
                              Have you looked at the Canon CN-E zooms? They are the 18-80mm and 70-200mm. Have a motorized zoom. They are par focal, work well on the GH5, even with a speedbooster.
                              But $10k for the pair. Probably not too many GH5 owners buying $5k lenses, though the camera was so good that apparently those people do exist.

Originally posted by combatentropy View Post
                              As for me, the first company to make something like a $2,000 stills-camera body + global shutter will catch my interest, with a sensor anywhere from S16 to 135, and a resolution anywhere from 2K+.
                              Yeah, I’d give up a lot to get a global shutter. It would be fun if someone was still making CCD-based cameras with an F35-style sensor. Low-light performance might take a hit, but those CCDs always gave a lovely image for some reason, plus there were zero rolling-shutter artefacts. Probably cost-prohibitive nowadays.

Comment

Razz16mm will chime in any minute.

I think the main reason was because on the Kodak CCDs, the red, green, and blue colored filters that covered the photosites, they were darker. Therefore they were less sensitive (in addition to other reasons CCDs are less sensitive) but the colors were richer.

But that chip has sailed. Red Komodo's global-shutter CMOS looks gorgeous. Likely they won't share it. The only other source I know of are Sony's Pregius CMOS sensors. Specs have looked good on them for many years, but so far they have been used only in industrial cameras, and I haven't seen any sample videos.
                                Last edited by combatentropy; 11-20-2020, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X