Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DLD View Post

As to 2-piece, as Abe said, at some point it does begin to look like an actual camera. But these days, one can think of a small one-handed jib holding the interchangeable camera module with either a wired or wireless connection. The other potential is not just an interchangeable lens mount but an interchangeable sensor camera.
    I could see that. I'm already doing smartphone control for my camera mounted on a gimbal. (But I still use a wired monitor as well for reliability/resolution/latency/screen size/exposure and framing tools.)

but the point is that if you add tools and accessories, then you can no longer say that a consumer phone is all you need to shoot, everything in your pocket. Which is fine.
    www.VideoAbe.com

"If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech." - Noam Chomsky

Comment

There are two major trends with regards to the smartphone vs. the standalone camera contest. One is that the smartphone quality is increasing at a faster rate vs. the cartel. Two is that both have already broken through the "more than good enough" barrier. In other words, a decade ago your average smartphone was - for the sake of an argument - at 30% of the stand-along camera quality; by mid-decade, it was at 50 and now it's approaching 80. It will probably get to about 90 and stop there due to the laws of physics. By then, however, each will be akin to a medium format professional camera from today and most people won't be able to tell the difference in the final print/file (if shot by a reasonable level photographer).

And, after that point, only the pros will want ILC's much like the pro cinematographers will still want the latest iteration of Alexa over the latest iteration of R5c, even though the visual difference in the delivered material will be microscopic.

PS. Painting/art shifted from realism into impressionism at just about the same time photography began to take root in the mid-19th century. Of course, nowadays there's a style called "hyper realism", which tried to emulate a super high resolution digital still at maximum depth of field. To me, those are better suited toward the complete fiction/fantasy - i.e., wizards and warriors - rather than trees and flowers, which have no problems posing.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Smet View Post

Considering its the 16th today and a lot is closed for Holidays after next week I kind of figured that was a given. I haven't really expected the GH6 to come out this year now for a few months. The important take away from their announcement is that yes it is still coming. Eventually. In the future. Some day. Before I die. Before the world ends or the sun goes supernova.
        A 2022 release with 2019 specs. Back to the future.

Comment

Panasonic Japan issued the following statement:
          Notice about LUMIX GH6
          Thank you for your continued patronage of Panasonic products.
          Regarding the mirrorless single-lens camera “LUMIX GH6” that was developed and announced on May 26, 2021 We were aiming for commercialization within 2021, but it is expected to be delayed. Currently, we are aiming for commercialization in early 2022. We apologize for any inconvenience caused to customers who are waiting for this product. Deeply apologize.December 16, 2021 Panasonic Corporation

Wonder if it is the chip shortage, working out bugs, or improvements? Maybe they want to move more of the GH5II.

Comment

A bit harsh considering little is known, but it's a good setup line.

Comment

They already said what it will have (which would make that true, same specs as the 2019 S1H), but it's just that we're hoping for more.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                ... it's just that we're hoping for more.
                Only a fool wouldn't

Comment

I've been hoping for a nice Panasonic cinema camera with the works for less than $5K...I'm on year 9.

(They've made 3 in 15 years.)

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                    They already said what it will have (which would make that true, same specs as the 2019 S1H), but it's just that we're hoping for more.
                    And it's MFT, not FF.

Comment

Originally posted by stoneinapond View Post

Only a fool wouldn't
                      Hope springs eternal
                      www.VideoAbe.com

"If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech." - Noam Chomsky

Comment

And it's MFT, not FF.
                        Not sure if that is said with disdain, but for me that's the whole point. FF performance in MFT. Obviously physics imposes it's own limitations, but get it very close, and then some..... (leaving out the aesthetics of DOF)

As Ahalpert says, hope....
                        Last edited by stoneinapond; 12-17-2021, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stoneinapond View Post
                          Not sure if that is said with disdain, but for me that's the whole point. FF performance in MFT. Obviously physics imposes it's own limitations, but get it very close, and then some..... (leaving out the aesthetics of DOF) ..
                          Not with disdain but with the general preference for larger sensors for most video work - aside of shooting the home plate from the bleachers with P1000 - while admiring the longer range of MFT for sports and action.

The problem for the MFT products is that they all share the same sensor and that necessitates compromises. OMD stills shooters want res far above 20 MPX, while the Panasonic videographers can be sated with 5.7K and a top notch codec. Theoretically, there should be different data collectors such as those being offered in full frame with the various 24, 33, 45/47, 50 and 61 MPX models. But, if Sony won't budge, the MFT consortium has its collective hands tied.

Meanwhile, each delays pits the already announced specs against the newer models from other manufacturers and, if one expects a 4-5 year cycle for a given model, then it has to project well forward. And the GH-6 specs already have it covering its own behind.

Comment

Not entirely sure it’s accurate to say it has 2019 specs. What does that even mean? Heck most other cameras are still struggling to handle internal 10bit video. You mean it shoots 4K or 6k video? How is that 2019 specs? Is 10bit 4:2:2 some kind of inferior 2019 spec? We don’t even know the MP count yet. In fact we don’t really know much other than it will be better than the GH5.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by 2019 specs when we have only had 3 or 4 specs released to us so far.

yes it will be m43 but that’s not a 2-19 spec. M43 is still a very good sensor. 12 stops of DR? Heck the Canon R6 still hovers around that and that is considered a high end camera model.

Comment

FWIW Liam Hall wrote in the cine glass thread that he's considering adding a small sensor camera with an ENG lens to his doc kit. (I believe his A/B are C500mk2 and R5.) Of course, that could also mean smaller than M43 and could also mean a fixed-lens camera. But the point is that the small ENG lens remains a valuable option. And it needs a small sensor to capture it (or, perhaps, a high-resolution cropping of a larger sensor)
                              www.VideoAbe.com

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Smet View Post
                                ... Not entirely sure it’s accurate to say it has 2019 specs. What does that even mean?l.
                                Well, BMD Pocket 6K came out in August, 2019, with both Raw and ProRes recordings. On top of that it's a APS-C sensor (and the EF-mount, which is a plus to some). The GH-6 codecs aren't even announced.

Meanwhile, an 8K APS-C model is expected from Fuji and likely a whole bunch of 8K full frame cams from Canon, Nikon and Sony.

How can Panasonic expect to sell GH-6 in 2022?

Comment

Working...
                                X