Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But the slower times very well produced that human connection, don't you think?

You naturally engaged because you had less technology to engage for you. Or influence you. Distract you.

Comment

Basically yes... My feeling is that things like AIM chatrooms were more personal and less personal-mass-media than Facebook... Having to memorize people's phone numbers or wait by the phone increased the value of the interaction, perhaps... One thing I like about this forum is the retro vibe. Simplicity. More like actual personal communication as opposed to trying to reinvent it with a capitalistic mindset of utility maximization... Quality over quantity. Something like that
      www.AbeFilms.com

It's wrong to starve children

Comment

This is what happens when we stop talking about competing cameras and have nothing else left to talk about.

Comment

The horror
          www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

My biggest fear about AI is they turn us into batteries.
            (Thx Ahalpert for the distracting topic things were getting pretty serious)

Originally posted by Thomas Smet View Post
            This is what happens when we stop talking about competing cameras and have nothing else left to talk about.
            We begin turning on our selves. Getting into more bitter arguments about how our opinions better than one another. Also 8k.
            Last edited by Peter C.; 12-14-2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter C. View Post
              My biggest fear about AI is they turn us into batteries.
              Hey that's better than being out of a job
              www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

Hey that's better than being out of a job
                As long as they're rechargable

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                  I wonder if you speak in life how you write on a forum.

Please don't waste my time anymore.
                  The irony. Pot meet kettle.

Comment

Originally posted by hotchkiss View Post

The irony. Pot meet kettle.
                    You need a nap.

I think it's time for your daily nap. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Smet View Post
                      Think of all the Tubular Belles of the Ball that are reviewing the nonexistent cameras in the manner of Jean-Paul Sartre.

A side note: With the smartphones, there have been several attempts over the last decade to make either a phone with an external zoom or a separate wireless camera/lens attachment Zooms (Panasonic) was too large, the external attachment (Sony and Olympus) suffered from other maladies. All bombed. But some day the camera and/or smartphone manufacturers might get it right.

Comment

And more on new phones - Huawei P50 Pro runs ~ $900-$1300, has a 50 MPX 23mm main camera and a 64 MPX 90mm telephoto, with a 3.5X periscope zoom and 100x digital, plus a wide-angle selfie cam. The camera is currently sold only in China and may appear in other places in 2022. But, since Huawei licensed its periscope zooms from Samsung (via CorePhotonics), one can expect a similar product from either Samsung or Xiaomi (which is the way for the Chinese to run around the various trade restrictions that Huawei has been placed on), Or both.

To sum it up, you get a high res sensor with a long reach in one body for less than GH-6. DxO has a separate smartphone rating page for the US users and non-US users. P50 Pro is their highest rated camera, significantly above iPhone13.

Who needs a stand-alone camera now?

Except for the pros.

Comment

Most people don't buy phones for the camera tech.

New phones, updated models will be purchased by default because they are, well, phones - and the camera(s) inside them is just an extra feature.

You know I'm all for the mobile improvements, but for now the above only consists of words on paper, and people interested in a standalone camera are not going to automatically consider them immediately and switch.

We need to see the results for any of those words on paper to matter.

Comment

The Huawei reviews are good, placing them at the top of the camera smartphoniness.

The point I am making and the one I have been making for a while is that many of the stand-alone camera features have been duplicated or approximated sufficiently by now for the vast majority of the existing shooters to no longer need a stand-alone camera. And that destroys the photo-video hybrid industry at its core.

PS. A friend's son had his (much delayed by Covid) wedding a couple of weeks ago. I received a zillion photos and a few videos via Google Documents. My report is that the quality of the smartphone cameras far exceed the quality of the smartphone photographers.

Comment

I do see what you're saying but I think you're speaking prematurely and you're bundling two different types of minds.

You see...there is absolutely no doubt that phones destroyed a major part of the camera industry, but it was only because regular people did not need to purchase a point-and-shoot or camcorder anymore for their casual photos and videos when they had their phones. The quality was more than good enough for their purpose.

But anyone who was still interested in a camera like the GH6 is not going to be immediately replacing that potential option with a new phone unless the IQ is just as good.

It's not...not yet.

___

Phone cameras don't need to get any better for regular humans. So when you ask, "Who needs a standalone camera now?"...well, the answer is likely less than 1% of regular humans. That ship has sailed and phones are #1 for them.

But the IQ is not as good yet for the person who is interested in a GH6, and companies are still hanging onto that thread.

Now if you're saying that the phones will eventually get as good as the GH5/etc then OKAY...I can see that but I'll still believe it when I see it.

And if and when that day comes then that will truly be the end of most of the photo-video hybrid industry as you say. But we are not there yet...

So those paper phone specs look great above, but let's see the results, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by DLD View Post
                                Who needs a stand-alone camera now?

Except for the pros.
                                Pretty much.

I do think that people will see a much bigger gain in video IQ from a large sensor camera. Much or all of the low-light shooting capabilities of smartphones is owed to computational photography and combining exposures. Maybe eventually this could be done in video, but it's a steeper climb. I would think that a full-frame camera would always have an advantage over a smartphone for shooting video in low-light. And people shooting with smartphones are probably trying to use them in dark venues frequently. (But hey, there's always the on-phone light! Snicker snicker.)

which is not to say that those users would care enough to spring for a mirrorless. They won't. It's just that they'll notice the difference

Whereas when shooting photos, as long as they can actually get the shot with the phone (which is easy enough to do on a grip-and-grin), then the IQ difference is marginal. Probably undetectable consciously to most people
                                www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

Working...
                                X