Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hojomo
    replied
    Originally posted by NorBro View Post
    To me, it sounds like they still aren't sure where they are going with it.

I love Panasonic and I think the S5 is one of their best, but a 4K/60p MFT GH6 seems like an unbelievable waste of time and resources.
    their plan was probably to have the GH6 available this year and then focus on new L-mount bodies for spring 2022, but covid & the supply shortages have them revising that in a flat-footed & embarrassing way

Kinda seems like their MFT customers will just be happy to get another video-centric body at all. I get the appeal of the format, but if I was making cameras I would abandon it. Sony making FF standard is also about pushing MF as the new high end. If you want ultra light; you will have all kinds of ever-more sophisticated smartphone cameras to choose from...which are now beginning to kinda-sorta hit 1" sensor anyways

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    To me, it sounds like they still aren't sure where they are going with it.

I love Panasonic and I think the S5 is one of their best, but a 4K/60p MFT GH6 seems like an unbelievable waste of time and resources.

Leave a comment:

• Zim
    replied
    Lumix kicks off 20th Anniversary by announcing that the GH6 is still under development

According to the Panasonic.JPN, Panasonic Lumix DC-GH6 is now still in development.

GH6, which is currently under development, aims to achieve both the mobility unique to Micro Four Thirds systems and a variety of video expressiveness. Both the sensor and engine have been newly developed to support 4: 2: 2 10bit Cinema 4K60p video recording, and we plan to achieve unlimited video recording time within the recommended operating temperature. I’m really sorry that I can’t tell you in detail, but please look forward to what kind of camera the GH6, which is still under development by engineers, will be finished.

Not this year?

Leave a comment:

• filmguy123
    replied
    I think the problem is if you take the De Minimis Safe Harbor Election for anything under $2500 you have to take it for everything under $2500. Or whatever the amount is on given tax year. So let’s say the GH6 is $2499 and you opt to take depreciation of the GH6 instead of the full amount, you have to list every single smaller purchase under $2500 and do the same.

Put another way it’s all or nothing if you opt for De Minimis Safe Harbor Election, which I suspect most of us will. Only way around this might be a GH6 bundle or kit that pushes the price over the threshold. Or if you don’t have a bunch of smaller expenses (but you do, if you’re doing your taxes correctly!)

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    I'd have to double check but I think this section 179 is what lets us deduct the full cost up front. So anything you do that for is qualifying equipment? I sorta thought the nuance was year put into service

Leave a comment:

• filmguy123
    replied
    Yeah, never asked the question myself either as I always use stuff right away. Guess the nuance would be in "qualifying equipment".

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    I was thinking about this. Although i never tried to switch the year of deduction because i always use things the same year i buy them. My accountant is as clueless as me because he is me

Section 179 allows eligible businesses to deduct the full purchase price of qualifying equipment in the year it was put into service.

Leave a comment:

• filmguy123
    replied
    Used to be for any piece of gear, but I think tax code now is only over a $3000 purchase can be put onto Schedule C depreciation schedule and line itemed with what the piece of kit is. This is where you can spread the write off out over a few years. Under this $$ amount it's basically grouped into "supplies". Well this is my recollection from my CPA anyway. On my depreciation schedule my S1H and EVA1 are listed, however a GH6 @ $2500 won't be (nor are my $2k each Zeiss Milvus lenses). They are all grouped under "other expenses" as "production equipment" for the specified year with no further detail. (Of course I keep a spreadsheet on my end with all the details if asked to show the breakdown of what these expenses are).

Point being, no, I believe for a "cheap" purchase like GH6 it has to be in the same calendar year?

Leave a comment:

• Zim
    replied
    Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

getting slightly off-topic, but I think (and could someone else confirm?) that you deduct gear in the year you begin using it? so if you buy it this year but don't start using it until next year, it gets taken off from next year's taxes?
    I bought a camera once and my accountant said I could deduct part of it over few years. (sorry, I don't remember how long). I think you can take it all the next year too. But, that could always change so you should ask your tax person.

Leave a comment:

• Zim
    replied
    Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Disappointing - was expecting a release full of info today on anniversary, instead another announcement of a later announcement. Guess everything is running behind these days. Maybe a good thing - I agree on the need to pre-order instantly to get the camera anywhere close to launch, and I'd want the tax deduction on next year's return. Probably not alone on that given the slow market the last year? So 2022 for an official announcement is nice... I'm guessing we can expect a January announcement with March shipping.

Still interested. GH6 should be more than good enough for a ton of content. Small, nimble, closer to working with a cell phone with it's small and light lenses. The 10-25 lens paired with 4k60p 10-bit HEVC is great. The new M1 Pro/Max ships rip through HEVC, no need for Atomos recorder or ProRes for most of the things I do. No need for a QNAP or RAID anymore with HEVC efficiency and higher capacity SSD drives.

I look forward to travelling again with a 16" M1 Max, GH6, 10-25 lens, 8060 Shotgun, etc. Minimal stabilization needs. Stuff is getting so miniaturized and powerful these days... I'll be able take a powerhouse production setup in a backpack. The new MacBook's have roughly as much power as my 5950x Ryzen desktop (no regrets on my PC build, still cheaper/ faster - but very excited to roughly have parity between mobile & desktop), and a GH6 will likely be a better looking & functioning setup than a Sony A7S II w/Atomos recorder was a few years back with only the slightest of potential asterisks. IMO unless you're working on really high budget stuff, we are reaching image quality parity. Even more so if you don't have an eye as tuned for this type of stuff and are an average content viewer. I have the S1H and EVA1 and I suspect they won't look *that* much better than the GH6 except under special use cases (ie low light slow motion, very challenging DR). No way I will get rid of the S1H (until Mark II) with Milvus lenses, but it's not super travel friendly as a solo operator.

For a while I was obsessed with the tech specs, but that was because the gap between a GH4 and Arri Alexa was massive, there was a bunch of features missing that I really wanted in one place (4k60p 10-bit, lowlight, IBIS, small & light, etc.) so every camera announcement was super exciting. Not anymore. It's getting to be diminishing returns. Even more so factoring in software advancements (things like Cinematch make choosing a camera based on color science much more of a non-issue). Just give me a super easy/small/light setup to work with as a OMB while travelling so I can focus on the content and have FUN working. The GH6 is going to be fun to work with, easy to travel with, and get me 90% of the way there as an IQ geek... and 97% of the way there with the average client for most content (general b-roll and talking heads). When I am working locally, or when I need to shoot something with low light slow motion or really challenging dynamic range needs, or just show up to impress a client with a professional looking kit, that's where the Easy Rig & EVA1/S1H/Milvus come in.

For everything else... GH6 should be great.
    I'm thinking to upgrade my 2015 MacBook Pro with the 14" Pro and probably not go all out.
    10-Core CPU
    16-Core GPU
    16GB Unified Memory
    1TB SSD Storageš

I would like to go with 2TB storage but $400 more. seems kind of pricey

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post
    I'd want the tax deduction on next year's return
    getting slightly off-topic, but I think (and could someone else confirm?) that you deduct gear in the year you begin using it? so if you buy it this year but don't start using it until next year, it gets taken off from next year's taxes?

Leave a comment:

• DLD
    replied
    Originally posted by Zim View Post
    Today they will announce that the new cameras are stuck on a container ship off the west coast!
    The worst thing is that they might be stuck in 2018.

Leave a comment:

• filmguy123
    replied
    Disappointing - was expecting a release full of info today on anniversary, instead another announcement of a later announcement. Guess everything is running behind these days. Maybe a good thing - I agree on the need to pre-order instantly to get the camera anywhere close to launch, and I'd want the tax deduction on next year's return. Probably not alone on that given the slow market the last year? So 2022 for an official announcement is nice... I'm guessing we can expect a January announcement with March shipping.

Still interested. GH6 should be more than good enough for a ton of content. Small, nimble, closer to working with a cell phone with it's small and light lenses. The 10-25 lens paired with 4k60p 10-bit HEVC is great. The new M1 Pro/Max ships rip through HEVC, no need for Atomos recorder or ProRes for most of the things I do. No need for a QNAP or RAID anymore with HEVC efficiency and higher capacity SSD drives.

I look forward to travelling again with a 16" M1 Max, GH6, 10-25 lens, 8060 Shotgun, etc. Minimal stabilization needs. Stuff is getting so miniaturized and powerful these days... I'll be able take a powerhouse production setup in a backpack. The new MacBook's have roughly as much power as my 5950x Ryzen desktop (no regrets on my PC build, still cheaper/ faster - but very excited to roughly have parity between mobile & desktop), and a GH6 will likely be a better looking & functioning setup than a Sony A7S II w/Atomos recorder was a few years back with only the slightest of potential asterisks. IMO unless you're working on really high budget stuff, we are reaching image quality parity. Even more so if you don't have an eye as tuned for this type of stuff and are an average content viewer. I have the S1H and EVA1 and I suspect they won't look *that* much better than the GH6 except under special use cases (ie low light slow motion, very challenging DR). No way I will get rid of the S1H (until Mark II) with Milvus lenses, but it's not super travel friendly as a solo operator.

For a while I was obsessed with the tech specs, but that was because the gap between a GH4 and Arri Alexa was massive, there was a bunch of features missing that I really wanted in one place (4k60p 10-bit, lowlight, IBIS, small & light, etc.) so every camera announcement was super exciting. Not anymore. It's getting to be diminishing returns. Even more so factoring in software advancements (things like Cinematch make choosing a camera based on color science much more of a non-issue). Just give me a super easy/small/light setup to work with as a OMB while travelling so I can focus on the content and have FUN working. The GH6 is going to be fun to work with, easy to travel with, and get me 90% of the way there as an IQ geek... and 97% of the way there with the average client for most content (general b-roll and talking heads). When I am working locally, or when I need to shoot something with low light slow motion or really challenging dynamic range needs, or just show up to impress a client with a professional looking kit, that's where the Easy Rig & EVA1/S1H/Milvus come in.

For everything else... GH6 should be great.
    Last edited by filmguy123; 10-27-2021, 10:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Zim
    replied
    Today they will announce that the new cameras are stuck on a container ship off the west coast!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• DLD
    replied
    The GH6, which is currently under development, aims to achieve both the mobility unique to Micro Four Thirds systems and a variety of video expressiveness. Both the sensor and engine have been newly developed to support 4: 2: 2 10bit Cinema 4K60p video recording, and we plan to achieve unlimited video recording time within the recommended operating temperature. I’m really sorry that I can’t tell you in detail, but please look forward to what kind of camera the GH6, which is still under development by engineers, will be finished.
    https://www.43rumors.com/ (it's on Panasonic's site but 43 Rumors ran it through a translator already, so let's give him a hand)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X