Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    So, rumors about the 8K GH-6 are getting a tad hotter.

    Comment


      I feel like DLD is the only one on this forum who gets excited about 8K
      www.VideoAbe.com

      "If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech." - Noam Chomsky

      Comment


        Originally posted by OnSet View Post

        No, the BGH1 isn't designed for every type of shoot -- but after two days of setup and testing we're extremely happy with our choice!
        Am still a bit befuddled about the output options in 4K - else fine little box.
        writer/director/producer
        www.22ndplot.de
        http://www.vimeo.com/user1958347

        Comment


          Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
          I feel like DLD is the only one on this forum who gets excited about 8K
          No, I'm for it. The 2020 Samsung 65 inch QLED was about the same as I paid for my 55 inch Samsung 4K when I got it, and about 40% off the price of this year's 2021 model that is slightly improved for gaming but otherwise has all the same features plus the One Connect box and a preferable style of foot stands. I did need a little bit larger than 55 inch for the studio, saw that BB sold out, scooped one up on Amazon. I can see the pixels from about 3 feet, my seating position is 6 ft. My PC is up to the task for 8K, the QLED upscales nicely to 8K so why not? I'm booking up fast for weddings and editing work too, looking forward to a better 2021, the only thing yesterday was Ground Hog Day, Punxsutawney Phil emerged from his den and saw his shadow, terrible, terrible news, 6 more weeks of winter.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Tom Roper View Post
            I can see the pixels from about 3 feet, my seating position is 6 ft.
            So youíre seeing Ö [performs complex arithmetic] Ö about 4Kís worth of pixels?

            I can barely cope with the data requirements of heavily compressed 4K. Stuff like Raw 8K is so far beyond what I can realistically use itís funny. It might take me a decade to get there. Moreover, I would prefer to get rid of rolling-shutter artefacts and a dozen other problems or nuisances before increasing sensor resolution.

            However, Iím excited by what a strong GH6 would mean for Panasonicís commitment to the Micro Four Thirds platform.

            Comment


              Are you shooting 8K weddings, Tom? I don't even shoot all my work in 4K, a lot is still HD. And what goes online (which is most of what I do) is probably viewed in 720p.

              Would I like to watch Dunkirk in 8K? Sure. But it doesn't seem to matter for my business. 8K for extra cropping? Largely unnecessary and I will pass on the extra data and processing requirements. For now.
              www.VideoAbe.com

              "If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech." - Noam Chomsky

              Comment


                Originally posted by Rolf Silber View Post
                Am still a bit befuddled about the output options in 4K - else fine little box.
                Yes - the variety of outputs is novel for me as well - but not sure what you're asking about 4k?
                I can try combinations over the weekend if you have a specific question. So far I've been primarily using the 'normal' HDSDI & HDMI outputs - but started playing with the USB-C control & monitoring yesterday, and haven't fully explored the Ethernet and wi-fi options yet.
                Did our first client shoot with 2 of them and a PTZ last week and all worked well. 'Full Distancing' -- We started multiple cameras rolling and left studio - monitoring from multiview in control room and client monitor in green room. Need to work on remote triggering options next. (Lumix Multicam Tether app looks promising over ethernet - but we didn't want to take chances with it on our first real go-round)

                Comment


                  I am very happy with my consumer Lumix G7, It works well as a B cam with my FS7.

                  The introduction of the GH6 will bring some good used GH4 and GH5 bodies on the market.
                  Peter Bosman

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by OnSet View Post
                    Need to work on remote triggering options next. (Lumix Multicam Tether app looks promising over ethernet - but we didn't want to take chances with it on our first real go-round)
                    Remote triggering via my (older) Atomos Shogun over HDMI won‘t work currently as expected, works with GH5 though. Strange. But wrong thread here, I guess.
                    writer/director/producer
                    www.22ndplot.de
                    http://www.vimeo.com/user1958347

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                      Are you shooting 8K weddings, Tom? I don't even shoot all my work in 4K, a lot is still HD. And what goes online (which is most of what I do) is probably viewed in 720p.

                      Would I like to watch Dunkirk in 8K? Sure. But it doesn't seem to matter for my business. 8K for extra cropping? Largely unnecessary and I will pass on the extra data and processing requirements. For now.
                      Hi Abe,
                      Weddings I shoot in 2160p or 1080p, deliver 1080p. No plans for that to change. 1917 you might also enjoy. The only content Iíve seen in 8K are from Youtube, mostly a bunch of time-lapse. The video from the new Sony Alpha 8K was beautiful, but itís not showing in 8K anymore, not sure why. But no, Iím not future proofing, was more of a ďwhy notĒ decision since I donít buy tvís all that often.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                        I feel like DLD is the only one on this forum who gets excited about 8K
                        No I would get to replace my GH5 but keep the GH5S. My main reason is to give even more opportunity for crop/pan /zoom for a 1920x1080 timeline which is what I want and now use my GH5 and GH5S in UHD . No real interest in even 4K output at the moment.

                        Comment


                          Sony A1 reviews just got online (up until today, they were under the NDA). Some purported 8K clips are still being processed into 8K. Unlike R5's Raw, Sony compresses quite heavily with XAVC S but the early reviews are all positive (at least, those I ran across). Depending on where you are, the YouTube may compress your footage further into a beautiful 8K moire.

                          The early reviews are also gushing about the A1 photo performance. The GH series has always been a video-first camera but, should it get its pixel count up into the 45M range - and it's kind of hard to get 8K from fewer pixels - its stills performance will take a huge jump too.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Samuel Dilworth View Post
                            I would prefer to get rid of rolling-shutter artefacts and a dozen other problems or nuisances before increasing sensor resolution.
                            I have been saying this same thing on this forum for years. Priorities! Global shutter over rolling shutter (even "fast" rolling shutter) would make more of a difference in picture quality than would 8K over 4K.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by combatentropy View Post
                              I have been saying this same thing on this forum for years. Priorities! Global shutter over rolling shutter (even "fast" rolling shutter) would make more of a difference in picture quality than would 8K over 4K.
                              A1 eliminated the rolling shutter effect in stills. It can also do 4K at 120 fps, so one assumes that A1 4K RS problems, if any, are negligible.

                              Comment


                                More than a home run, the 8K Alpha-1 is looking like a World Series winning Grand Slam. Gerald Undoneís review is up; A1 seems to have it all, clean low light, efficient codec with lower cost memory cards, supreme AF, IBIS, better DR than A7SIII, shatters notions that smaller pixels canít do low light or DR.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X