Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    All true, but it is not like they are just starting the GH6 development. I see/saw the GH6 as a parting shot in the series as they would have been working on it for years already. I do not want to buy any L-mount lenses, so that rules out the S-series for me. M4/3rds is very adaptable and video folks do not need the super shallow DOF like still shooters. Maybe a 35mm could be useful at f1.4 on the FF but most of the time you will be at f2.8/f4 on FF to keep something in focus.

    What will be a mistake from my point of view is if Panasonic releases a GH6 next year. After the FF options released this year, not much can hold a candle going forward. They just missed the window imho.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Bassman2003 View Post
      They just missed the window imho.
      Perhaps they're looking through a different window....

      (And they'll surprise us all.)

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Bassman2003 View Post
        . Maybe a 35mm could be useful at f1.4 on the FF but most of the time you will be at f2.8/f4 on FF to keep something in focus.
        While you certainly dont always (or even often) want f/1.4 DOF, Sony/Canon AF can keep something (and usually the right thing) in focus at f/1.4 even when the distance is in flux. You dont know the power of the dark side! ;)
        www.VideoAbe.com

        "If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech." - Noam Chomsky

        Comment


          #19
          Great point!

          Comment


            #20
            Probably a bit over optimistic, but all in the realm of possibility:

            - Improved GH5s sensor w/IBIS (higher DR, better lowlight)
            - Improved image mojo, less digital/sharpened, more organic
            - Improved IBIS
            - Good AF, truly competitive with sony & canon
            - Global Shutter
            - Internal electronic variable ND
            - Mini XLR, internal 32-bit float recording and strong pre-amps
            - Full vlog (goodbye, L)
            - Internal ProRes RAW
            - USB-C recording to attached SSD
            - 4k120p h.265 422 10-bit (or higher FPS); FHD 240p 10-bit 422
            - Super bright, 4K resolution 4" flip out rotating screen

            Same UI/Ergo focus Panasonic puts into S series bodies. Full UI/software video tools including false color, robust VFR and higher bitrate codecs for VFR, etc. Fully weather sealed, robust rigid frame - truly a lightweight tank.

            $2200. Available in a kit lens config with the Lumix 10-25 f/1.7 zoom for $3500.

            Sold?

            Comment


              #21
              I would be sold if it just did 2 or 3 of those features. It's more likely that it will come with just one, and even more likely it doesn't come at all.

              Comment


                #22
                Sold if it was already announced. That spec sheet is not far away from the FF Sony a7SIII that has already been released. Yes, $1,200 more money but in a year from now that list will be less impressive.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post
                  Probably a bit over optimistic, but all in the realm of possibility:

                  - Improved GH5s sensor w/IBIS (higher DR, better lowlight)
                  - Improved image mojo, less digital/sharpened, more organic
                  - Improved IBIS
                  - Good AF, truly competitive with sony & canon
                  - Global Shutter
                  - Internal electronic variable ND
                  - Mini XLR, internal 32-bit float recording and strong pre-amps
                  - Full vlog (goodbye, L)
                  - Internal ProRes RAW
                  - USB-C recording to attached SSD
                  - 4k120p h.265 422 10-bit (or higher FPS); FHD 240p 10-bit 422
                  - Super bright, 4K resolution 4" flip out rotating screen

                  Same UI/Ergo focus Panasonic puts into S series bodies. Full UI/software video tools including false color, robust VFR and higher bitrate codecs for VFR, etc. Fully weather sealed, robust rigid frame - truly a lightweight tank.

                  $2200. Available in a kit lens config with the Lumix 10-25 f/1.7 zoom for $3500.

                  Sold?
                  Any camera would sell with that kind of list, but just would never happen.

                  You'll have to take away at least two big features if a Japanese company is making it (maybe four from your list).

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post
                    Probably a bit over optimistic, but all in the realm of possibility:

                    - Improved GH5s sensor w/IBIS (higher DR, better lowlight)
                    - Improved image mojo, less digital/sharpened, more organic
                    - Improved IBIS
                    - Good AF, truly competitive with sony & canon
                    - Global Shutter
                    - Internal electronic variable ND
                    - Mini XLR, internal 32-bit float recording and strong pre-amps
                    - Full vlog (goodbye, L)
                    - Internal ProRes RAW
                    - USB-C recording to attached SSD
                    - 4k120p h.265 422 10-bit (or higher FPS); FHD 240p 10-bit 422
                    - Super bright, 4K resolution 4" flip out rotating screen

                    Same UI/Ergo focus Panasonic puts into S series bodies. Full UI/software video tools including false color, robust VFR and higher bitrate codecs for VFR, etc. Fully weather sealed, robust rigid frame - truly a lightweight tank.

                    $2200. Available in a kit lens config with the Lumix 10-25 f/1.7 zoom for $3500.

                    Sold?
                    I would gladly pay more for something like this. If only...
                    www.markoconnell.org

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                      Any camera would sell with that kind of list, but just would never happen.

                      You'll have to take away at least two big features if a Japanese company is making it (maybe four from your list).
                      That's my thought too, except, I'm wondering with how intense the competition is if Panasonic may push the boundaries further in order to maintain some interest in the m43 ecosystem. I mean, I just don't think they can release something similar specwise to the S5 or A7S III.

                      So it's either grab headlines by making m43 once again offer next gen features with a "compromised" sensor size, or cut the price in half.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Actually, I am wondering if the GH6 launch is delayed and is where they will debut the many-years-coming organic sensor tech they have been working on. And if so, we may see a sensor level, electronic pixel dimming form of internal ND. And while not global shutter, perhaps a sensor readout so fast its basically equivalent.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post
                          That's my thought too, except, I'm wondering with how intense the competition is if Panasonic may push the boundaries further in order to maintain some interest in the m43 ecosystem. I mean, I just don't think they can release something similar specwise to the S5 or A7S III.

                          So it's either grab headlines by making m43 once again offer next gen features with a "compromised" sensor size, or cut the price in half.
                          It really depends on if you believe in camera cartels or not...

                          If you do, at this point in time Panasonic would have to be a non-Japanese company to offer the best, IMO. I think those days of the GH popping headlines appear to be finished as specs, demands and expectations were different even 3-4 years ago. (And of course sales.)

                          If you don't, every specification would be discussed by all parties involved (IMO)...and hope is a good thing to have.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            The only reason Panasonic would release another model in this series would be if they could incorporate tech from their other cameras like better focus or software etc that could extend sales for a couple of years before they discontinued it. It wouldn't make sense to make any significant change that would require a redesign of the body or the internals such as the sensor. There are software things like streaming, wireless file transfer, wireless mics/headphones, maybe even something like Apple uses to blur background. Or simply cutting the price.
                            Last edited by Peter C.; 10-19-2020, 01:51 PM.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Peter C. View Post
                              The only reason Panasonic would release another model in this series would be if they could incorporate tech from their other cameras like better focus or software etc that could extend sales for a couple of years before they discontinued it. It wouldn't make sense to make any significant change that would require a redesign of the body or the internals such as the sensor.
                              Oh I dunno. If they just took the GH5 and gave it 8K60p and everything else stayed the same, that would be something. The greater DOF could be an unmitigated win if you're trying to manually focus in 8K. If all you want is gobs of detail for your landscapes or conference panel group shots or what-not, well - all that detail is blurred out at shallower DOF anyway.

                              I feel like there are numerous reasons for m43 to remain relevant and if it does then a GH6 could sell.
                              www.VideoAbe.com

                              "If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech." - Noam Chomsky

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Currently the GH5 sells for $1,400. I think it's value is closer to $1,000. At that price it could continue to sell well unchanged for a couple of years. 8k is unfeasible for sensor that small but I don't deny it would boost sales. People's mouth water when they hear 8k, this has been scientifically proven.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X