Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    Imho, it would be best sooner than later...
    Only if Panasonic can deliver significant improvements, especially with C-AF performance.

Comment

It turned into S5.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to think Panasonic will stay in the MFT game for much longer - they simply have little reason to at this point to do so.

I think they'll probably deliver a GH6, likely testing features ultimately aimed at their full frame S line-up, but that'll be it (other then perhaps underwhelming releases like the BGH1 to blow out their whatever remaining MFT stock parts they have left).

That said, I do think Ironfilm has a point - MFT is a massively successful format with thousands of users. This in reality is the only real reason for Panasonic to put any resources into a GH6.

Olympus - with their announcement yesterday of a high end tele lens & new firmware for 4 cameras (including the 4 plus year old EM1 MII) - is hopefully still in the game. JIP clearly hasn't broken the company up yet, something that they certainly could have done by now if they had wished to.

Lots of users - like myself - love the format, but don't necessarily need all the bells & whistles of the GH5, like vectoscopes & anamorphic. Youtubers, corporate + wedding shooters, birders, higher end soccer mom + pops, and low budget indie film makers would seemingly still all be interested in the MFT format....

...Perhaps not enough for Panasonic to remain committed to it past 2021, but maybe enough for them to put out a GH6.
      John Vincent
      Evil Genius Entertainment.com

Comment

Originally posted by DLD View Post

It turned into S5.
        He discussed the S5 before bringing up the GH6, so no.
        www.markoconnell.org

Comment

I am still game for a GH6. But, some of that is due to the supply shortages of R5's & a7SIII's. There are great options out there, so Panasonic needs to throw some kind of bone if they want any customers around to buy!

The Gh5 is an easy to use mirrorless camera for video. It has all of the right buttons and features ready to go. Better AF and frame rate choices (4k120 & 1080p240) along with GH5s dual gain + IBIS would be a nice option. They can probably wait until the new year but not much longer if they want me to hold on.

Comment

Originally posted by markoconnell View Post
            He discussed the S5 before bringing up the GH6, so no.
            That's his opinion. Let me know when he talks about keiretsu.

Comment

That's his opinion. Let me know when he talks about keiretsu.
              Are you suggesting that Yasuke Yamane is uninformed?
              www.markoconnell.org

Comment

I am still game for a GH6. But, some of that is due to the supply shortages of R5's & a7SIII's.
                But those are over double the price of a Panasonic GH5
                (almost beginning to be nearing on three times the price!)

Is the a7Smk3 two or three times better than the GH5? No it is not.
                Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
                Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Comment

Actually, Sony's E-mount is
                  When I say "most broadly supported mirrorless mount" I'm referring to how there are many companies making MFT mount camera bodies!

How many are making electronic E mount camera bodies? Only Sony.

Comment

Originally posted by IronFilm View Post
                    Is the a7Smk3 two or three times better than the GH5? No it is not.
                    Haha it's tricky to make a quantitative assessment of qualitative differences.

For example, if the A7SIII can acceptably shoot in conditions too dark for the GH5, then it is infinitely better. Likewise for high-contrast scene handling. Likewise for enabling usable autofocus.

In terms of pure IQ for scenes and uses they can both handle, no it is not 2-3x better
                    www.VideoAbe.com

"If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech." - Noam Chomsky

Comment

Originally posted by markoconnell View Post
                      Are you suggesting that Yasuke Yamane is uninformed?
                      No. I am saying it's his opinion. Sort of like the Canon's execs opinion that R5/R6 were not crippled in any way, shape or form.

When I say "most broadly supported mirrorless mount" I'm referring to how there are many companies making MFT mount camera bodies!

How many are making electronic E mount camera bodies? Only Sony.
                      Well, Olympus is one and a half feet out the door. So, Panasonic is the only known brand left standing (there's Yongnuo that made a cheapo cam that got blasted and Sharp which announced an 8K cam but has been sitting on it without much noise). So, it's kind of half a dozen tomaytoes deal.

And, in term of 2.5x value vs. price, there's high ISO performance and the AF of A7SIII.

Comment

Well, Olympus is one and a half feet out the door. So, Panasonic is the only known brand left standing (there's Yongnuo that made a cheapo cam that got blasted and Sharp which announced an 8K cam but has been sitting on it without much noise). So, it's kind of half a dozen tomaytoes deal.
                        Heh, shows your lack of knowledge of MFT with how many other camera brands you left out who have made MFT bodies.

Comment

If you can afford an EOS R5, sure, the four-year-old GH5 might not be especially attractive.

(Which doesn’t actually say all that much about the forthcoming GH6. Video tech has changed a lot in the last four years, and the current extraordinary obsession with full-frame may give Panasonic plenty of room to throw features at the GH6 without killing sales of its high-end cameras. That could lead to an incredibly potent GH6 for those who see through the full-frame hype. Heck, even the GH5 has loads of features the just-released R5 lacks.)

But that doesn’t apply to almost everyone who buys these cameras. They buy them precisely because they cost one-third of an EOS R5 or α7S III.

Remember, camera companies agonise about $50 pricing intervals, because even $50 affects who buys their camera.

Comment

I am willing to pay up to the R5 price point for the right feature set. To me, it is all about the features and image quality up to the price I am willing to pay. More than likely the GH6 will cost $2,500 upon release. Given the track record of GH releases, the GH6 will probably be a large improvement over the previous model as well. It will have 4k60 10bit. Beyond that, I have no clue about anything else. But since my current needs and workload are being met by the GH5, I am waiting a while to give the GH6 a chance before going for an R5 or a7SIII. This also gives some time for firmware improvements on both of these cameras as well. (overheating & C-LOG3 on the Canon, maybe shutter angles on the a7SIII?)

In short, I enjoy using the GH5. It lacks clean ISO performance and C-AF performance. I do not desire to move away from the system, so if they can improve their product, it will be a buy. But I can't ignore how awesome the two FF choices are, so they better get on their horses so to speak.
                            Last edited by Bassman2003; 11-18-2020, 05:47 AM.

Comment

I never felt there was a compelling need or reason for M43 especially for video. Both APS-c and Super 35 were available and established alternatives to FF, but for some reason Panasonic had to be different. They had a good run but now they're going to have to pay the price.

Comment

Heh, shows your lack of knowledge of MFT with how many other camera brands you left out who have made MFT bodies.
                                I know. No one's even heard of Yongnou MFT.

I am willing to pay up to the R5 price point for the right feature set. To me, it is all about the features and image quality up to the price I am willing to pay. More than likely the GH6 will cost $2,500 upon release ...
                                The Panasonic management said they'll do it. The 41 MPX Sony MFT sensor has been out for over a year. So, those are positive factors.

But ... camera sales are tanking with or without Covid. Panasonic already have several mid-to-high video (and one photo) centric models in the same price bracket and higher. The longer this wait for the GH-6 goes on, the less likely it'll be a similar niche camera as GH-3/4/5 because that niche no longer exists and because a lot of the GH-4/5/5s shooters have moved onto R6 and A7SIII.

PS. For many, Sony's absence of the internal 10-bit is what stops them from buying either the APS-C or a lower priced FF for video work. But, at some point, there will be a 10-bit codec and the E-mount glass will give you access to a lot of bodies, from the entry tier APS-C to FX-9. And it appears to be a much more solid path to an ecosystem.

PPS. Given Panasonic poor AF, Pocket4K has an advantage of the internal Raw and a very affordable price. And, if R5/R6 are any indications, the 2021 should bring a leap in hardware quality and the related value. The high end is trending to 8K, which pretty much requires a full frame. In which case, GH-5/6 is a look back and R5 is a look forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X