Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How interested are you in a GH6 anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend used to write book reviews professionally. He got promotional items in exchange but he was honest about what he was writing. On the retailers sites, one better have a solid posting history to have his review considered the final word. The YouTube reviews*, however imperfect, are 284% more reliable than the few words from buyers, real or otherwise.

*I would not pay much attention to a Tony Northrup reviews. Other than that, Gordon Laing, Gerald Undone, Jared "the Fro" Polin, Gene "the Potato Jet" Nagata, DP Review Chris Niccols & Jordan Drake, et al. do a solid enough job for their tests/previews to mean something. And one can usually get a reply.or a comment to a question.

BTW, the 284% number I found on the internet. I heard it's also reliable. Like everything else out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter C. View Post
      I've heard tracking box displayed doesn't always represent what really is in focus..
      There's nothing quite like secondhand information to prove a point....

Comment

Originally posted by stoneinapond View Post

There's nothing quite like secondhand information to prove a point....
        I believe I heard if from either Tony and Chelsea or Jordan and Chris of DP Review. I trust both sources.

Comment

I take those reviews with a grain of salt. People get exuberant over a new purchase. If the GH5 II was that fantastic why would they be releasing a GH6? AF like Norbro said are dependent on conditions. There are also subtle things a person might miss. I've heard tracking box displayed doesn't always represent what really is in focus. Or it focuses ok at higher frame rates but at 24 it's not good. I've seen enough videos to know the AF can't hold a candle to Canon/Sony.
          You should clarify can't hold a candle to continuous video AF from Canon/Sony. Contrast detect has some of its own advantages for stills. Some hybrid focusing systems use both because phase detect can't always do it on its own.

You are right however contrast detect on its own will never be perfect for video. The nature of it means it has to check edge contrast and try to determine where the best contrast is. It can only do that be riding back and forth a bit. Phase detect is amazing for figuring out the initial AF and leaving it until the distance actually does change.

I find the stills AF on Panasonic to amazing. I find the AF with a push once method to be amazing. The smooth natural gradual AF that doesn't hunt however is not so great and will likely never be great. It gets better but it will never be perfect. With Panasonic if I am shooting a sit down interview or something that will be static a good portion of the time I would use push once to focus and then leave it on manual until the subject moves and I push again to focus. Its just not a good idea to leave contrast detect AF on with a mostly static subject. Then turn on continuous AF when the subject will move a lot and thats where the contrast detect keeps getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by DLD View Post
            Other than that, Gordon Laing, Gerald Undone, Jared "the Fro" Polin, Gene "the Potato Jet" Nagata, DP Review Chris Niccols & Jordan Drake, et al. do a solid enough job for their tests/previews to mean something.
            Hey! You forgot the Camera Conspiracies guy......

And more to the point, Jordan Drake predicts 2022 will be a banner year for m43. He implied that one product in the format should feature a stacked sensor, not that I understand the implications of that, but perhaps they have some advance knowledge other than the earlier press release concerning the sensor itself.

Comment

Start at 51:11. Full specs before spring

https://youtu.be/84NVeul0wPM

Comment

Was mentioned in post #1523, but I don't know why they didn't want to name the camera in that video. I'm not sure what that was all about.

"And as far that camera who shall not be named..."

They literally didn't say GH6 there...

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                  I'm not sure what that was all about.
                  Weird. Unless they are going to rename it?

Comment

Yeah...and completely change it. Scrap MFT and release a new FF or S35 camera.

There is no reason not to name it after already calling it a GH6 unless it's a brand new, amazing MFT line, which we'll pretend it is.

Weirdest thing I've ever seen/heard at a conference.

Comment

So they had an hour presentation and near the end they say "Before Spring we will release specs for a camera that will not be named". That's hilarious. I think they believe their own BS.

Comment

So they had an hour presentation.
                        Did you watch it?

Comment

Hey! You forgot the Camera Conspiracies guy......
                          How do you figure I am not in on the conspiracies? I knows stuff.

PS. The popular Tubers and site operators, obviously, have connections with the companies. I recall Fuji flying Chris and (formerly TCS) Jordan to Japan for a factory tour and free sake. So, if a company rep says to someone, "Our company will shock the world in the third quarter", the reviewers have to pay some attention to the claim, even if the shocking part ends up being the rep's firing. In the same third quarter. For being full of crap.

Comment

Did you watch it?
                            Panasonic has just held its 2022 keynote press conference.

Yes, I watched it.

From an imaging point of view very little to raise the hopes of Panasonic camera users. A very short reference to the LUMIX 20th anniversary at around the 51-minute mark of a 54-minute press release video. Not even a vague reference to the Varicam/Eva camera futures. Is it the end of their cinema lineup? Where are they going I wonder?

Chris Young

https://na.panasonic.com/explore/newsroom

Comment

A storm's brewing...Panasonic is realizing Canon and Sony have made them into nothing...left barely anything on the bone...this is the last straw...

BH.jpg

Comment

I mentioned this before. Panasonic has about $70B of revenues annually. It's a huge company. The photo-video portion of their assets is peanuts compared to the overall enterprise. They can keep it or they can leave it. I'd say that having a solid camera lineup gives them some publicity in the consumer sector but they have so many things cooking at once they don't need it for the purely financial reasons. The photo-video lineup probably takes a small loss but gives their sales representatives one more reason to contact the various retailers across the globe. That alone may be worth it but would require the latest technological innovations. Or they might as well fold the tent. Being in similar circumstances, that's exactly what Samsung did and no one was wiser for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X