GH5 GH5 to Alexa Conversion

my video came out pretty nice with your LUT granted im horrible at color correcting but I definitely loved it! I used it on my gh5s log. Hopeing maybe you come out soon with a gh5s version but none the less came out pretty nice!

I just got a new GH5s too...can you post some examples with the GH5 LUT on GH5s footage?

Hey guys, was away for a few days;

I just got a new GH5s too...can you post some examples with the GH5 LUT on GH5s footage?

Here's what I've got on hand; this is a still from Dave Altizer -

GHa%20Main_zpseftamvpf.jpg

I’d like to use your lut for the grading of my next project, for which I’m also using Ursa mini pro : any idea for matching ?

Would you be willing to send out your UMP for a few days?

The update will be the most significant. Here's what I mean:

GHa2DayVector_zpsk6wz5pnt.jpg

GHa2DayWave_zpsfjnpacsp.jpg

How crazy is that?

Key question - when select-able, what is the default Luminance Level setting of the GH5/S?

64-940?
or 64-1023?

Hi Sage, don't want to bug just eager to hear the news :) Any update on a timeline for GH5s LUT and EVA1 LUT?

Not yet -

To those with a GH5S, I am looking to measure one, and this would take less than a week. The result would be a reference conversion for your camera. Reach out to me if you're interested!

Progress continues for the GH5 update; I am refining it as well as updating the supporting files. I sent out new PPro beta files to David L'Abbée today

The work into this 5 update will directly benefit the S. EVA to a lesser extent.. that's a bit more involved

GHa V2 - Reference Update

GHa V2 - Reference Update

"I am pleased to announce GHa V2, the reference grade update. For the last six months (since original release), I have been building a new version of the conversion from the ground up, to achieve a new standard of precision and smoothness (silk gradients).

The changes in V2:
- 25x the Number of Color Samples (25k Per Camera)
- Custom Coded C++ Color Engine (Smooth Interpolation)
- Alexa On Hand (For Repeated Iteration)
- Corrected Lens Distortion of Original Conversion
- Smarter Handling of of Exposure Placement to Maximize DR (both Emotive Color and LogC)
- Cine-D Support (and Improved [PRE]s)
- Premiere Pro Specific [PRE]s (for VLog & Others)
- Improved Documentation"

Here is the new PDF

day_zpshcwv9hpq.png

tun_zps6174zhyx.png

(Edge/Explorer or Safari recommended for most accurate color; Chrome/Opera Ok; Avoid Firefox)

Last edited:
Is this A free upgrade for existing users?

Yes! Be sure to check your email (that you used then); it went out yesterday afternoon

Did these fairly noisy shots exist in the previous version?

https://ibb.co/bsw3PS
https://ibb.co/jzjOPS

Yes - E2 is an exposure and white balance disaster, all in glorious 8-bit (every shot)

Those two are especially bad, as they were underexposed 1080p 120fps shots, and there is a real penalty to doing that

However, I opted for motion above all else, and included these shots. It was less of a technical showcase, and more passion project for me. Next project, I will make up for that (I can't wait to do it..)

Last edited:
Skintone Raw Footage Side-by-Side

Download Here

GH5 VLog

GH5%20%20GHa%20Tungsten%20Main_zpsbxljzjnd.jpg

Alexa LogC

Alexa%20%20Emotive%20Color%20Main%20Tungsten_zpstyxwa45k.jpg

White balance placed a touch magenta on the GH5, but I opted to only use GHa Main sans pre WB tweak

Behind%20the%20Scenes%20Tungsten%202_zpsokjqzfhi.jpg

Great!

I know you’ve been asked this a few times but how is this looking for GH5s and EVA1? Do you think we’ll see anything by June?

Can’t speak for others of course but for me I use all 3 of these cameras in tandem now, so the LUT actually can’t be used if only 1/3 cameras in the family has access

Great!

I know you’ve been asked this a few times but how is this looking for GH5s and EVA1? Do you think we’ll see anything by June?

Can’t speak for others of course but for me I use all 3 of these cameras in tandem now, so the LUT actually can’t be used if only 1/3 cameras in the family has access

Thanks filmguy123,

Using this conversion on VLog will make these cameras *a lot closer, than farther apart (as Soarprod notes), significantly improving the color

I would love to support the S right away (will be fairly straightforward), but so far I haven't gotten a hold of one. The EVA will be even harder to find (definitely not by June, I'll be shooting a movie then)

I've been going flat out for the last year to perfect the GH5, and need a bit of a breather (for everything else in life haha). I'll be able to go a lot faster with what I've learned, that's for sure.

That said, the original GH5 with VLog is a bit of a destination camera now. If its fully realized how much of a disrupter this is, they'll disappear from Ebay :)

Thanks, Sage. I know it's taken an immense amount to work to match two very different cameras to this fine of a degree. While I don't have any Alexa shoots any time in the foreseeable future, I am gonna try v2 against Leeming LUT One on a small job just to see which I prefer as a start for grading.

Thanks, Sage. I know it's taken an immense amount to work to match two very different cameras to this fine of a degree. While I don't have any Alexa shoots any time in the foreseeable future, I am gonna try v2 against Leeming LUT One on a small job just to see which I prefer as a start for grading.

Thanks Joe; its been a long journey. Exactly one year ago, I had no idea what I was embarking on (thought it would be done by June!)
As I recall, you have Daylight - I'd recommend shooting daylight balanced light for interiors (with gels on halogen or otherwise) for the best accuracy in that environment (and be sure to read through the new PDF - many new details therein)

Sage, I own a GH4, X-Rite large color checker and a smaller one that came with screen calibrator, and Spyder 5 color thingy... if I did some clear sunny day video, with the camera setup to your specifications, would that assist in porting all this over to the older GH4 usage?

I guess lenses add their own coloring, so maybe the most generic: like my canon 50mm 1.4 ?

Sage, I own a GH4, X-Rite large color checker and a smaller one that came with screen calibrator, and Spyder 5 color thingy... if I did some clear sunny day video, with the camera setup to your specifications, would that assist in porting all this over to the older GH4 usage?

I guess lenses add their own coloring, so maybe the most generic: like my canon 50mm 1.4 ?

It certainly couldn't hurt! That being said, I do need the cameras on hand to do a precision conversion (not just due to the lens, although that's a big deal too)

5-10-18 Update to V2

- Emotive Color component branched into three routes: Main/Soft/Pop
- Main/Soft have V1-like luma placement (for brightly exposed footage)
- Pop maximizes highlight range (for base ISO darkly exposed footage)
- Relaxed Noise Floor

(The default no longer requires luma placement for bright exposure, à la V1)

I got this but am new to log. If your lut says max IRE 80, Sould I set zebras to 80 or 75. Anything over 80 will clip the highlights, right? Skintones will still be around 60-65 ire on zebras?

Sorry for the newbie questions. From the few tests I’ve done so far I’m really liking the “soft” variant.

Back