• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skintone Raw Footage Side-by-Side

Download Here

GH5 VLog

Alexa LogC

White balance placed a touch magenta on the GH5, but I opted to only use GHa Main sans pre WB tweak

Comment

Great!

I know you’ve been asked this a few times but how is this looking for GH5s and EVA1? Do you think we’ll see anything by June?

Can’t speak for others of course but for me I use all 3 of these cameras in tandem now, so the LUT actually can’t be used if only 1/3 cameras in the family has access

Comment

Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post
        Great!

I know you’ve been asked this a few times but how is this looking for GH5s and EVA1? Do you think we’ll see anything by June?

Can’t speak for others of course but for me I use all 3 of these cameras in tandem now, so the LUT actually can’t be used if only 1/3 cameras in the family has access
        Thanks filmguy123,

Using this conversion on VLog will make these cameras *a lot closer, than farther apart (as Soarprod notes), significantly improving the color

I would love to support the S right away (will be fairly straightforward), but so far I haven't gotten a hold of one. The EVA will be even harder to find (definitely not by June, I'll be shooting a movie then)

I've been going flat out for the last year to perfect the GH5, and need a bit of a breather (for everything else in life haha). I'll be able to go a lot faster with what I've learned, that's for sure.

That said, the original GH5 with VLog is a bit of a destination camera now. If its fully realized how much of a disrupter this is, they'll disappear from Ebay :-)

Comment

Thanks, Sage. I know it's taken an immense amount to work to match two very different cameras to this fine of a degree. While I don't have any Alexa shoots any time in the foreseeable future, I am gonna try v2 against Leeming LUT One on a small job just to see which I prefer as a start for grading.

Comment

Originally posted by joe12south View Post
            Thanks, Sage. I know it's taken an immense amount to work to match two very different cameras to this fine of a degree. While I don't have any Alexa shoots any time in the foreseeable future, I am gonna try v2 against Leeming LUT One on a small job just to see which I prefer as a start for grading.
            Thanks Joe; its been a long journey. Exactly one year ago, I had no idea what I was embarking on (thought it would be done by June!)
            As I recall, you have Daylight - I'd recommend shooting daylight balanced light for interiors (with gels on halogen or otherwise) for the best accuracy in that environment (and be sure to read through the new PDF - many new details therein)

Comment

Sage, I own a GH4, X-Rite large color checker and a smaller one that came with screen calibrator, and Spyder 5 color thingy... if I did some clear sunny day video, with the camera setup to your specifications, would that assist in porting all this over to the older GH4 usage?

I guess lenses add their own coloring, so maybe the most generic: like my canon 50mm 1.4 ?
              https://www.youtube.com/user/gjb2074/videos

Comment

Originally posted by wwjd View Post
                Sage, I own a GH4, X-Rite large color checker and a smaller one that came with screen calibrator, and Spyder 5 color thingy... if I did some clear sunny day video, with the camera setup to your specifications, would that assist in porting all this over to the older GH4 usage?

I guess lenses add their own coloring, so maybe the most generic: like my canon 50mm 1.4 ?
                It certainly couldn't hurt! That being said, I do need the cameras on hand to do a precision conversion (not just due to the lens, although that's a big deal too)

Comment

PM'd you
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/gjb2074/videos

Comment

5-10-18 Update to V2

- Emotive Color component branched into three routes: Main/Soft/Pop
                    - Main/Soft have V1-like luma placement (for brightly exposed footage)
                    - Pop maximizes highlight range (for base ISO darkly exposed footage)
                    - Relaxed Noise Floor

(The default no longer requires luma placement for bright exposure, la V1)

Comment

I got this but am new to log. If your lut says max IRE 80, Sould I set zebras to 80 or 75. Anything over 80 will clip the highlights, right? Skintones will still be around 60-65 ire on zebras?

Sorry for the newbie questions. From the few tests I’ve done so far I’m really liking the “soft” variant.

Comment

Originally posted by tiki988 View Post
                        I got this but am new to log. If your lut says max IRE 80, Sould I set zebras to 80 or 75. Anything over 80 will clip the highlights, right? Skintones will still be around 60-65 ire on zebras?

Sorry for the newbie questions. From the few tests I’ve done so far I’m really liking the “soft” variant.
                        Thanks tiki988; Its a matter of choice - I set them at 80. Anything above that will clip. Bright skintone areas can place there.
                        Overall the target for exposing for emotive color is middle gray at 40 (if you've got a middle gray reference card) Its largely flexible to exposure placement though
                        Throw any extreme color or highlight at it, and you'll find the result to be awesome ;) Here are some stills with V2 Main (no other change):

Comment

Thanks. I appreacite the response. I dont have a middle grey card so setting exposure for me is zebras and waveform right now.

Comment

OLPF Emulation Raw Side-by-Side (GH5 & Alexa Tungsten)

Stills Only Download
                            Raw Footage Download
                            (Raw Footage - Use Resolve for Correct Arri ProRes Color)

Rough OLPF Emulation Settings Used Here:

DaVinci Resolve

- 2nd Layer with Duplicated Video (including Color Effects)
                            - Upper Layer Opacity: 40 (Normal)
                            - Upper Layer Gaussian Blur Effect: .17

Adobe Premiere

- 2nd Layer with Duplicated Video (including Color Effects)
                            - Upper Layer Opacity: 20 (Normal)
                            - Upper Layer Gaussian Blur Effect: 6

Use additional blur layers with altered settings to achieve more fine localized diffusion

Last edited by Sage; 05-18-2018, 02:57 AM.

Comment

One better - you actually only need the base clip in Resolve (no second Opacity layer needed)

My new favorite Resolve Single Node OLPF:

*Note: these settings are for working in a 2K timeline (I shoot 2K All-I, and the Alexa C is 2K), they may change when at 4K
                              Last edited by Sage; 05-18-2018, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Hey Sage, just wanted to see if there were any updates as far as the gh5s was concerned? Cheers!
                                sigpic
                                http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2393063/
                                Actor
                                Musician
                                Filmmaker

Comment

Working...
                                X