Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH2 New GH2 owner

Hello.

I brought a used GH2. Had it for a month now, and love it.

My question is. It is hacked, but I don't know which hack it is. Is there a way of telling which hack it has. I'm guessing it's going to be between Driftwood or Flowmotion.

Also if I am doing wedding, and things which I need to film over a perdiod of time, which one is more stable.

Thank you
    Owen

There's no way to tell which hack is loaded. You can only guestimate by looking at your files' bitrates.

For long events and spanning have a look at Sanity, Cake or one of Driftwood's long gop hacks.

Comment

If you have the correct cards, the flow motion will span and look good.

What features do you want? Easy enough to hack it yourself, but I could probably get you the bin file if you need one.

Comment

I love the Slow Mo, but most importantly, I need to be able to leave the camera recording with the knoledge it will still be recording 10/15/20 mins later.

Comment

I love the Slow Mo, but most importantly, I need to be able to leave the camera recording with the knoledge it will still be recording 10/15/20 mins later.

I have lloked into it, and think I will try cake 2.3 but I cant register with personal-view to beable to download it.

Comment

SanityX will ensure that it spans and stays recording, but I think Flowmotion2.2 will also do this with the Sandisk 64gb 95MBps cards. Not sure about the registration at Personal View.

Comment

First of all, the GH2 stock will already get you some very good images, only truly "breaking down" in very detailed shots (ie water and foliage and the like.) Personally, I use moderate hacks (Sanity or Flowmotion) because the enhancement in perceptible detail in *most scenes is *negligible (*Of course, this is all subjective, some would probably say there's a huge increase in quality with higher bitrates, but I don't see huge gains. Just very moderate ones, but we're after the best image we can get, right?) So, the primary reason I use the hacks is just to make sure I don't hit that breaking point where the image is just too detailed for the codec to keep up, where it completely breaks down and looks terrible.

So, that said, I usually go back and forth bewtween Flowmotion (by Lpowell) and Sanity X. Flowmotion is great, I do think it has slightly better motion cadence, but I usually keep Sanity X loaded because you can put the camera in the 24H setting and get that little bit of extra detail at higher bitrates, or just keep it in 24L (which I do a lot of the time) and it will give a fantastic image at a reasonable bitrate, and never (in my experience) break down.

Comment

If it's Flow Motion, it will record in 24H or HBR video modes at around 50-100Mbps. In addition, you can use MediaInfo to examine an HBR video's GOP length, which will be Format Settings, GOP: N=3. I still use my GH2 for fast action handheld shooting, and greatly value its high-bitrate freedom from moire and compression artifacts.
                Last edited by Lpowell; 05-10-2017, 05:19 PM.
                GH2 100Mbps Flow Motion v2 Patch

GH1 Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch
                GH1 Blackout-Powell Patch
                GH1 75Mbps GH1 Peak Reliability Patch
                GH1 100Mbps Max Latitude Patch

Comment

I used Driftwood's Moon Trail 7 for weddings right up until I bought the GH4. (And I actually thought the GH2 looked better.)

Do use nothing but SanDisk Extreme cards. (The 64 and 128 GB cards both work fine with that hack.)

Comment

Thank you for all your replies. They are very useful.

But I still can't get onto Personal-view, so I gues it is all for nothing.

thanks
                    Owen

Comment

You can download a fresh copy of Flow Motion here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...cking-Be-Gone!

And here's a link to the firmware hacking tools:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...ners-Ptool-FAQ
                      GH2 100Mbps Flow Motion v2 Patch

GH1 Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch
                      GH1 Blackout-Powell Patch
                      GH1 75Mbps GH1 Peak Reliability Patch
                      GH1 100Mbps Max Latitude Patch

Comment

Here are direct links to PV downloads:

SanityX: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/u...48a2708d49.zip

Cake 2.3: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/u...bc13967a4d.zip

Comment

Thank you to both brudney and Lpowell. Those links are really appreciated. Thank you so much.
                          Owen

Comment

Working...
                          X