Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GH5: Anyone have experience with the GH1 kit lens (14-140mm) performance on the GH5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH4 GH5: Anyone have experience with the GH1 kit lens (14-140mm) performance on the GH5?

I'm considering upgrading from my GH1 to the GH5, and I have the 14-140mm and 20mm Panasonic lenses. I've not seen or heard of anyone using these lenses with the GH5 and I was hoping there'd be someone here could give me some real-world impressions, comments or advice. Anyone?

TIV
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

This lens is not compatible with Dual IS and it is a very basic quality lens with a very low DXO score:

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Panas...-Mark-II__1136

I would think the $2000 GH5 deserves a better quality lens than a $200+ zoom lens.
    For good zoom lenses look at the 12-60mm, 12-35 or the 35-100 Panasonic lenses.
    Last edited by Cary Knoop; 05-04-2017, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Panny 20mm is a great little lens so no worries here. 14-140mm mkI should be fine as well, nothing spectacular but was good enough for the GH4 so I'd think should be good enough for the GH5 as well. There are plenty of GH4/14-140 videos out there so go check them out.

Comment

Yeah, that zoom lens is pretty nice... A gem, perhaps? Sorta :P
        Moreover, version 1 has better reports on stabilization than the updated *cough cough* mark II.

Hey, Uwe (Lansing), where are you?

https://vimeo.com/uwelansing

Here's an example shot by him on both 12-60mm f/2.8-4 and 14-140 f/4-5.8 lenses... are you able to check any differences on their IQ? : ) c'mon...

Old means classic more often than we tend to infer ; ) Don't believe in charts! :-D Take a look by yourself on real samples, on your trustful eyes you trust ;-)

https://www.flickr.com/groups/g14140/pool/

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-8-hd-ois.html

Please.

*Phew*

BTW, who ever shot with one will be able to recognize its color trademark (those magentas, browns and mainly greens/blues) for the rest of the time being...

On the 20mm Pancake, AF is the only trouble on video side. Other than that, it is a perfect light glass to couple with.

Here are other opinions on same topic for same conclusion:

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/...comment-192475

PS: BTW, have you ever heard about Fujian? LOL
        RED ONE @home
        Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
        RED ZOOM LENSES
        RED 300mm LENS
        Who am I?

* LINK *
        ** IMDb **

Comment

I have version 2 of the 14-140 lens and like it very much on my GH5. I shot the video linked below just yesterday, exclusively with the 14-140 lens.

https://youtu.be/nlI_xkRIulg

Comment

I have the 14-140 from my GH1 days. On the GH5, it still looks a bit electronic and sharp compared to my Nikon lenses and such. But it still looks good and works well with the IBIS. I don't have any Dual IS capable lenses to compare it to, but I can shoot at 140mm hand held and get a solid shot.

Comment

Well, Ken has already answered here to my question so it only takes this one here ;-)

RED ONE @home
              Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
              RED ZOOM LENSES
              RED 300mm LENS
              Who am I?

* LINK *
              ** IMDb **

Comment

My 14-140v1 works just fine on my Gh5 in dual IS. Is it the best lens? No, but it works for a walk around daylight lens.

Comment

Originally posted by dustylense View Post
                  My 14-140v1 works just fine on my Gh5 in dual IS.
                  Then you can't have the GH1 kit lens.

Comment

Originally posted by Cary Knoop View Post
                    Then you can't have the GH1 kit lens.
                    Is there a difference between the GH1 + GH2 kit zoom? The only thing I can say is that my GH2 kit 14-140/4-5.8 works pretty well for run&gun, travel... etc. in daylight. For sure, the Leica 12-60/2.8-4 is the better one but as Emanuel said its hard to see the differences in real life shots...
                    .......... at Vimeo
                    .......... Good, True & Beautiful

Comment

The focus transition feature is not available with my first generation 20mm firmware 1.1 Lens. (works with 14mm Pancake and 14-42mm Kit-Zoom)

Comment

Originally posted by anti12 View Post
                        The focus transition feature is not available with my first generation 20mm firmware 1.1 Lens. (works with 14mm Pancake and 14-42mm Kit-Zoom)
                        Have you tried to update the firmware?

Originally posted by Uwe Lansing View Post
                        Is there a difference between the GH1 + GH2 kit zoom? The only thing I can say is that my GH2 kit 14-140/4-5.8 works pretty well for run&gun, travel... etc. in daylight. For sure, the Leica 12-60/2.8-4 is the better one but as Emanuel said its hard to see the differences in real life shots...
                        And here's another sample with some shots from 14-140mm f/4-5.8 by you (What camera BTW? GH2?):

Last edited by Emanuel; 05-08-2017, 08:45 PM. Reason: 2nd quote
                        RED ONE @home
                        Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
                        RED ZOOM LENSES
                        RED 300mm LENS
                        Who am I?

* LINK *
                        ** IMDb **

Comment

Thanks everyone - I appreciate your time and effort responding. It seems there's no point selling my 14-140mk1 lens as it should be "good enough" for many uses. The 20mm is still a great lens even on the GH1, so that's a keeper for sure. Thanks again!
                          A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Comment

Working...
                          X