GH1s died within a week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH1 GH1s died within a week

Hi - I've got two hacked GH1s. They both died within a week, after years of good service. I have a gh4 (and more recently a g7) so don't immediately need them. But the footage they took was good in a way I'm not get seeing in the gh4 and just for nostalgia (and having a perfectly matching pair of cameras) I'm interested in getting them back to life. Any ideas where one might start? I suspected some sort of internal battery may have gone, or some sort of fuse - but before I start opening things up, looking for any insights or thoughts from anyone else who might have gh1s that have suddenly gone silent. Nothing at all when you turn them on.
    Any thoughts welcome!

I have a GH2 that did the same thing, opened it up and there is a small rechargeable battery that had low voltage. Doing some reading, these batteries have very few recharge cycles and often fail when the get old and low. Haven't replaced it yet to see if it lives again, but I did order a close enough battery. Problem is they are soldered on the board, so not a simple swap, just haven't had time to get back to it.

Store your cameras with a charged battery inside and swap them once in a while to preserve that little memory battery.

Comment

Exactly my thought - there's a small battery, but it's hard to access (about 6 levels in in the service manual - on or near the audio board from memory) and needs to be replaced and soldered in. Major operation, but with two dead bodies, a bit of forensics is called for

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_E View Post
        Store your cameras with a charged battery inside and swap them once in a while to preserve that little memory battery.
        Wow. Never realised that.
        Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
        Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Comment

Me either until some Fuji users were having problems. Then when a working GH2 died I opened it up and found a low battery. Need to get that back on the bench and fixed.

Comment

Working...
          X