Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH2 Is there a way to shoot 4:3 video with GH2 or GH4

Hi
    Is there a way to shoot 4:3 video with GH2 or GH4? I've looked and can't find it if it is there.
    best
    elmer
    Elmer Lang
    Elmer on Vimeo
    Elmer on YouTube
    From Homer to Elmer – The Art of Elmer Lang (Facebook)

Originally posted by elmerlang View Post
    Hi
    Is there a way to shoot 4:3 video with GH2 or GH4? I've looked and can't find it if it is there.
    best
    elmer
    On GH4 you can go to video menu>anamorphic 4:3>ON Havent used it though as I don't have anamorphic adapter yet.
    Ted Ramasola
    Allen, TX, U.S.A

http://ramasolaproductions.com

Comment

4K Photo modes are like 4K videos with I codec and some limitations (see Vesku recent posts). 4K Photo can be done with any of 1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9

Comment

Originally posted by aljudy View Post
        4K Photo modes are like 4K videos with I codec and some limitations (see Vesku recent posts). 4K Photo can be done with any of 1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9
        4k photo uses the same ipb 100Mbs codec than normal video mode.

Comment

@Ted Ramasola – Dude, just curiously, what help would the anamorphic option be since it's not 4:3?

But I did find a 4:3.
          Elmer Lang
          Elmer on Vimeo
          Elmer on YouTube

Comment

@Ted Ramasola – Dude, just curiously, what help would the anamorphic option be since it's not 4:3?

But I did find a 4:3.
            What do you mean the anamorphic 4:3 in the menu is not actually 4:3 ratio? what is it then?
            It's supposed to give you more pixels on the vertical side of the sensor when used for instance with the slr magic 2.0x anamorphot adapter made for 4:3 sensors.
            Last edited by Ted Ramasola; 12-12-2016, 09:11 AM.
            Ted Ramasola
            Allen, TX, U.S.A

Comment

The option's grayed out, I assume you need an anamorphic lens, which would make it 16:9
              Elmer Lang
              Elmer on Vimeo
              Elmer on YouTube

Comment

The option's grayed out, I assume you need an anamorphic lens, which would make it 16:9
                when used with an appropriate adapter like the one I mentioned it would give you 2.35:1 hence the name, anamorphic 4:3 mode.

I just checked again now, its not grayed out in movie M mode. In photo mode it is grayed out.
                Ted Ramasola
                Allen, TX, U.S.A

Comment

I don't have much experience with the GH4, but the anamorphic recording mode should be 4:3.

Full-academy aperture film is a 4:3 format. Film (and TV shot on film) was 4:3 for the first several decades, up until TV came out. So film was designed to be 4:3. In fact, TV was designed to be 4:3 because all the films were 4:3...

After TV came out, movies needed to find a way to differentiate themselves to justify why someone would still go to the theater; they tried many things, and one thing that stuck was to display in widescreen.

As such, cinema anamorphic lenses were designed to squeeze the image optically by a 2:1 ratio, so you get an 8:3 image squeezed onto a 4:3 frame.

The point of this is -- the GH4's anamorphic mode, as far as I know, opens up the height of the sensor to record 4:3 video, so that anamorphic images are properly captured. But if you didn't use an anamorphic lens and instead used a regular "spherical" lens, the result should be you capturing 4:3 video, just like a film camera would.
                  The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe that's possible, but you can skip that and just shoot 4:3 by, as I found, choosing Rec Format>MP4, then Rec Quality>VGA, 4M, 30P for a 640x480 picture. Voila! There's also a 25P version.

@Ted – In all modes Anamorphic(4:3) is grayed out on my GH4. One would think if possible it would in work in VGA, 640x480, but no.
                    Elmer Lang
                    Elmer on Vimeo
                    Elmer on YouTube

Comment

4:3 mode was added to accommodate 2x anamorphic lenses/adapters. For 1.33x lenses, recording should be done in the 16:9 aspect ration.

Comment

Originally posted by stoneinapond View Post
                        4:3 mode was added to accommodate 2x anamorphic lenses/adapters. For 1.33x lenses, recording should be done in the 16:9 aspect ration.
                        Yes, but if you shoot without an anamorphic adapter, you just get a regular 4:3 image, which is what the OP wanted. Yeah, you could shoot 640x480 for a 4:3 image, but that's crap resolution wise. The 4:3 mode resolution is 3328 x 2496 which is leagues better.
                        "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

Comment

The option's grayed out...
                          Set your resolution to 4K, & you should be able to select "Anamorphic(4:3).

Works on my GH4s whether their "System Frequency" is set to "59.94 Hz(NTSC)", or "24.00 Hz(Cinema)". In NTSC it records either 23.98p, or 29.97p, but in "Cinema" it's restricted to 24p (e.g. 24 fps)

Comment

Hi
                            best
                            elmer
                            How do you shot 4:3 video on a GH2 ? I've searched a bit about it but still not sure how to set it up in the menu. I'm curious because I can't do it. I'm not intending to shoot anamorphic.

Comment

Whoa, Bern, you're right. Looks good. However...
                              Yo, Batutta, you're absolutely right about quality, but I wanted to find a 4:3 on the GH4 to shoot some footage that would hopefully be a near match and usable with an old film of mine that was in 4:3.
                              Hey, Ned, I looked and couldn't find a 4:3 format on the GH2 either. I think we're screwed in that regard.

Thanks again to all who posted!!
                              Elmer Lang
                              Elmer on Vimeo
                              Elmer on YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X