Broken GH2 - LASTED YEARS! Need a replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH2 Broken GH2 - LASTED YEARS! Need a replacement

Hello, I finally lost my beloved Gh2. My friend broke it and gave me some cash for it. Now I need to replace it. I am living in Northern California and I am working to make a fishing film. I have tons of lenses and loved the camera, my only question, what do I replace it with. I have been out of the game for a while now.

I dont want to buy a gh3 or gh4...at least I dont think I do. But what about the Olympus E-M10 Mark ii? I dont need pro quality and 720 60p is fine for me. I also shoot photography so if I could double it up, that would be great.

Please provide some input when you can...I also was considering a go pro

You can replace it for only a couple hundred dollars used in good condition and pick right back up where you left off.

Anything else is going to be a LOT more money.

I've bought and sold a lot of cameras and to me the GH2 makes the least sense to part with. Check back in ten years....I may still have mine.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
      You can replace it for only a couple hundred dollars used in good condition and pick right back up where you left off.

I've bought and sold a lot of cameras and to me the GH2 makes the least sense to part with. Check back in ten years....I may still have mine.

I have a GH2 that I have barely used. The reason being that anytime I go to record video the camera ceases recording and I get a message saying something about the card not being of sufficient speed, and I get that regardless of how fast a card I use. And yes, I've tried numerous different cards so the issue isn't a defective card.

If I remember correctly the display reads "motion recording was cancelled due to the limitation of the recording speed of the card." It typically ceases recording after only 20-30 seconds. It did this straight out of the box, purchased new shortly after the camera was released. I bought it for shooting video so the camera has likely only been used for around 200 still photos. It's pretty much been a doorstop ever since I purchased it and I have not put much effort into figuring out why it ceases shooting video after less than a minute of record time.
      Sachtler tripod user for 40+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post

See one on ebay for about 300 starting bid. I also noticed the G7 is around this price...wait...so is the gh3...DARN! I hate how there are so many decisions these days.

Comment

Originally posted by MaroneSJ View Post
          See one on ebay for about 300 starting bid. I also noticed the G7 is around this price...wait...so is the gh3...DARN! I hate how there are so many decisions these days.
          I suppose a GH3 would be fine too, and it would be familiar enough that it won't be a slow-down. Some people said the image quality was a step up, others say it's a tad different but not better than the GH2.

I was going to get a G7 at one point...never got around to it. It seems really great, but if memory serves, it's missing something. Like a headphone output or external mic input... But if you're already in with the whole G or GH series, then it does make quite a nice image for the price.
          Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),

Comment

IMO the best price/performance bargain by far is a used G7 ($350-400). Better ISO performance than the GH4, great layout and controls, and you get the same 100mbps 4K as the GH4, which is stunning when downscaled to 1080p, even with some minor cropping for stabilization/recomposition/faking another angle etc. You get 1080p60 too, so still a step up from the GH2. The screen and EVF are miles ahead of the GH2, yet it uses the same battery, so you can re-use your old ones. The one downside is that it doesn't have a headphone jack. I would definitely pick it over a GH3 or the Olympus.

Comment

Originally posted by JPNola View Post
              I have a GH2 that I have barely used. The reason being that anytime I go to record video the camera ceases recording and I get a message saying something about the card not being of sufficient speed, and I get that regardless of how fast a card I use. And yes, I've tried numerous different cards so the issue isn't a defective card.

If I remember correctly the display reads "motion recording was cancelled due to the limitation of the recording speed of the card." It typically ceases recording after only 20-30 seconds. It did this straight out of the box, purchased new shortly after the camera was released. I bought it for shooting video so the camera has likely only been used for around 200 still photos. It's pretty much been a doorstop ever since I purchased it and I have not put much effort into figuring out why it ceases shooting video after less than a minute of record time.
              I've had this issue with mine before and i switched it to a different autofocus mode and that seem to fix it. Some of the hacks have this issue in different modes, but they note the issues.
              ----------------------------

WORK: MacPro (Late 2013), 3.5 GHz 6-Core, 64GB Ram, Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
              HOME: Macbook Pro i7 (2011), 16gb ram
              SOFTWARE: FCPX, FCP6, Compressor, DVDSP, Motion, After Effects, Lightwave 3D
              Cameras & Acc: Panasonic GH2, GH4, Ninja Blade, CameTV cage

Comment

Originally posted by aldolega View Post
                IMO the best price/performance bargain by far is a used G7 ($350-400). Better ISO performance than the GH4, great layout and controls, and you get the same 100mbps 4K as the GH4, which is stunning when downscaled to 1080p, even with some minor cropping for stabilization/recomposition/faking another angle etc. You get 1080p60 too, so still a step up from the GH2. The screen and EVF are miles ahead of the GH2, yet it uses the same battery, so you can re-use your old ones. The one downside is that it doesn't have a headphone jack. I would definitely pick it over a GH3 or the Olympus.
                I totally agree. The G7 would be a great replacement. My brother has the G7 and I have the GH4 and I'm impressed with how much stuff that's in the GH4, is also in the G7. Screen/EVF are way better and the GH2 didn't really have a headphone jack anyways. Menus/buttons are way easier to use on these newer cameras than the GH2.
                ----------------------------

WORK: MacPro (Late 2013), 3.5 GHz 6-Core, 64GB Ram, Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
                HOME: Macbook Pro i7 (2011), 16gb ram
                SOFTWARE: FCPX, FCP6, Compressor, DVDSP, Motion, After Effects, Lightwave 3D
                Cameras & Acc: Panasonic GH2, GH4, Ninja Blade, CameTV cage

Comment

I'll add another "vote" for the G7. I've got the GH4, G7, and just got the G85 a couple days ago. Two "workarounds" for having no headphone jack are doing a quick location test and immediate playback on a laptop to see how your mic gain settings work, or use a portable audio recorder (Tascam DR 60D, 70D, ZoomH1, or similar) you can monitor with headphones. The performance of the G7 is phenomenal either in 1080p or recorded in 4K, editited on a 4K timeline, then rendered to a 1080p file which results in some of the best looking 1080p HD I've seen.

I would use whatever GH2's go for towards either a used or even new G7 as currently good condition, working GH2's are getting a bit "long in the tooth" and more prone to failure. Everything on the G7 is better including color on both JPEGs and motion picture, I used to have GH2's before the GH3 and GH4 came out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
                    I'll add another "vote" for the G7. I've got the GH4, G7, and just got the G85 a couple days ago. Two "workarounds" for having no headphone jack are doing a quick location test and immediate playback on a laptop to see how your mic gain settings work, or use a portable audio recorder (Tascam DR 60D, 70D, ZoomH1, or similar) you can monitor with headphones. The performance of the G7 is phenomenal either in 1080p or recorded in 4K, editited on a 4K timeline, then rendered to a 1080p file which results in some of the best looking 1080p HD I've seen.

I would use whatever GH2's go for towards either a used or even new G7 as currently good condition, working GH2's are getting a bit "long in the tooth" and more prone to failure. Everything on the G7 is better including color on both JPEGs and motion picture, I used to have GH2's before the GH3 and GH4 came out.
                    If you don't know Bruce, I can tell you that the image quality of his work with these cameras is absolutely top notch. Enviable.
                    Watch his work and you won't be able to buy one of those cameras fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by JPNola View Post

I am almost positive your GH2 has a hack in it. You need to reload the original firmware or load a more conservative hack. If you have not hacked your GH2, this means you have a lot to learn; it's all in this website and in the personalview website.

Comment

FYI, Adorama currently has G7 kits for $500, including a $50 gift card. You can sell the kit lens off for $80-100 on eBay, leaving you with a brand new G7 with warranty for about $400, and a gift card you can use towards some batteries, cards, or whatever else.

Comment

Originally posted by aldolega View Post
                          FYI, Adorama currently has G7 kits for $500, including a $50 gift card. You can sell the kit lens off for $80-100 on eBay, leaving you with a brand new G7 with warranty for about $400, and a gift card you can use towards some batteries, cards, or whatever else.
                          That's killer.

Comment

We use the GH3 / GH4 / G6 / G7 at various times.

The G7 might have 4k, but it doesn't have a HDMI out and for me that is vital. It's the reason I still work often with the GH3. Also, battery life. GH3's/GH4's battery life is simply amazing. And as we shoot weddings, I want as few interuptions on a day as possible. The GH-series are wonderful in that regard. And, IQ wise it still holds up in 2016 IMO. 2nd hand, they are a steal.

One of our recent films. Mixed footage of GH3, GH4 and G7. Mostly GH3.

For some reason it doesn't play in HD until you select 1080p yourself.
                            Last edited by Stab; 11-15-2016, 03:18 PM.
                            https://www.cinematicwedding.nl

Comment

Working...
                            X