Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WARNING: Choose Your Movie Title Carefully!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH1 WARNING: Choose Your Movie Title Carefully!

Get ready for a very hard lesson. One that I wish someone had taught me before I ever picked up a camera. One that will save some of you a tremendous amount of trouble.
    Horizontal 2 Valor.jpg Here's the link to one of our action scenes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwcLis4_JUs

As many of you know, I had been working on my first feature film, "Dark Disciple" for years. It was shot on a GH1 in Plymouth, Massachusetts with the historic Cordage Park factories as a backdrop. Despite the shortcomings of the GH1 I learned to work around them and eventually produced an action thriller that many are calling a first of its kind.

We only had a four person crew and didn't have the budget for basic equipment, but I had waited for over a decade, hoping for the money to come in but with only a fraction of what I expected, I knew it was now or never. So I launched out to make my first feature film on a 42K budget.

What we lacked in finances we made up for with ingenuity and hard work. We made our own crane, dolly, shoulder mount and studio lights (called bucket lights, because I made them out of metal painters buckets I bought a Loews). Now add a full time job, all the countless nights and weekends spent building and dressing sets and the attention to detail necessary to make something watchable, and your talking three years.

All this work and sacrifice and we finally launched the film! First at an exciting premiere at Showcase Cinemas Randolph, with over 600 people attending. It was great. Then we launched on Amazon DVD and VOD and got a consistent 4 out of 5 stars from most viewers.

THEN we got our first 1 star rating, then another and another and another and another. People are certainly entitled to their opinion, but many of these 1 star ratings were vindictive, containing inaccuracies like "short film, maybe 40 minutes, don't bother" (Movie is 91 minutes) and "Worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life!" People started asking if I had an enemy who wanted to sink the project! I couldn't figure it out and for months I could only watch as a consist influx of 1 stars dragged the film's rating down.

Finally, an industry professional assessed the situation and realized that the film with its "Dark Disciple" title theme had given many horror fans the impression that it was a satanic slasher flick, but when they purchased and viewed the film they felt duped. <I don't blame them, as I can see now what had originally been a working title, had become a pet name that we should have dropped before going public.

We painstakingly changed the title to something more fitting for a clean cut action thriller and immediately saw positive results. The new name "Valor Rising" is a much better fit and properly represents the film. People love it and sales are climbing, finally!!!

So now... my advice is this: Don't try to be "tricky" with your title. Instead, be creative and choose something that is not only catchy, but also properly represents the project.

Originally posted by Indyreel View Post
    Get ready for a very hard lesson. One that I wish someone had taught me before I ever picked up a camera. One that will save some of you a tremendous amount of trouble.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]104629[/ATTACH] Here's the link to one of our action scenes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwcLis4_JUs

As many of you know, I had been working on my first feature film, "Dark Disciple" for years. It was shot on a GH1 in Plymouth, Massachusetts with the historic Cordage Park factories as a backdrop. Despite the shortcomings of the GH1 I learned to work around them and eventually produced an action thriller that many are calling a first of its kind.

We only had a four person crew and didn't have the budget for basic equipment, but I had waited for over a decade, hoping for the money to come in but with only a fraction of what I expected, I knew it was now or never. So I launched out to make my first feature film on a 42K budget.

What we lacked in finances we made up for with ingenuity and hard work. We made our own crane, dolly, shoulder mount and studio lights (called bucket lights, because I made them out of metal painters buckets I bought a Loews). Now add a full time job, all the countless nights and weekends spent building and dressing sets and the attention to detail necessary to make something watchable, and your talking three years.

All this work and sacrifice and we finally launched the film! First at an exciting premiere at Showcase Cinemas Randolph, with over 600 people attending. It was great. Then we launched on Amazon DVD and VOD and got a consistent 4 out of 5 stars from most viewers.

THEN we got our first 1 star rating, then another and another and another and another. People are certainly entitled to their opinion, but many of these 1 star ratings were vindictive, containing inaccuracies like "short film, maybe 40 minutes, don't bother" (Movie is 91 minutes) and "Worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life!" People started asking if I had an enemy who wanted to sink the project! I couldn't figure it out and for months I could only watch as a consist influx of 1 stars dragged the film's rating down.

Finally, an industry professional assessed the situation and realized that the film with its "Dark Disciple" title theme had given many horror fans the impression that it was a satanic slasher flick, but when they purchased and viewed the film they felt duped. <I don't blame them, as I can see now what had originally been a working title, had become a pet name that we should have dropped before going public.

We painstakingly changed the title to something more fitting for a clean cut action thriller and immediately saw positive results. The new name "Valor Rising" is a much better fit and properly represents the film. People love it and sales are climbing, finally!!!

So now... my advice is this: Don't try to be "tricky" with your title. Instead, be creative and choose something that is not only catchy, but also properly represents the project.
    Wow man, you went to hell and back the hard way.

Great lessons.

Great work.

And thanks for the tip!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Thank you for sharing this great lesson. Wish you luck and success.

Comment

Like the mistake they made calling that movie "Death in Venice". There's a famous photo of the a movie theatre with the title emblazoned across the frontage - "Deaf in Venice".

More on topic, these days "Death in Venice" would give rise also to unfulfilled expectations of horror and slashing (or drowning in canals at the very least).

Comment

Thanks everyone. I hope many find this helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X