Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incredible action scene shot on gh camera!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH1 Incredible action scene shot on gh camera!

Here is an exciting action scene from my feature film, Valor Rising (Formerly known as Dark Disciple). It was shot on a GH1. I wonder how good it would have come out on a GH3?

*NOTE - I have updated this post as a new Thread that contains an UPDATED link to the full action scene. The thread is entitled -
    GH1 Incredible action scene shot on gh camera!!! (part 2)

Valor Amazon Instant Video Poster.jpg
    Last edited by Indyreel; 09-07-2015, 05:39 AM.

Wow!

I think that's a really great scene. The edit is super fast and chaotic but I don't feel like I lost track of where people were...or were supposed to be.
    I like the lighting against the edit a lot too.

Hell of a job!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Nice scene, Ironically enough, when I got to work last week your card was on my door. I work in Mashpee. Congrats on your film! I know first hand how difficult it is to produce a feature.

Comment

What do you think would have been different on a gh3? I assume you used one of the hacks on the gh1. Assuming you had a gh2 you could have gone for 2k in mjpeg mode, but would the final result really have been better?

Comment

Here's what I got out of that scene: the hero of the scene is a padlock. There's also a blonde guy with a gun.

Too many cuts. WAY too many cuts. Far too many shots were blurry, dark closeups of ... well, I couldn't tell, because they were blurry and dark. Like you had to use the lens wide open, so it's either "face in focus" or "gun in focus", but not both.

Sorry. Not trying to be unsupportive. But it felt like a very dimly lit version of a fight scene from a Bourne movie, where you can't tell what the hell is going on except some sort of violence is occurring. That seems to be a thing with some directors, but personally I don't care for it.

Comment

Originally posted by thorn View Post
            dimly lit version of a fight scene from a Bourne movie
            I will forever feel that Greengrass ruined 2 and 3 somewhat, and Liman should have stayed in the director's chair.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Simon View Post
              I will forever feel that Greengrass ruined 2 and 3 somewhat, and Liman should have stayed in the director's chair.
              I agree.
              Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),

Comment

Originally posted by thorn View Post
                Here's what I got out of that scene: the hero of the scene is a padlock. There's also a blonde guy with a gun.

Too many cuts. WAY too many cuts. Far too many shots were blurry, dark closeups of ... well, I couldn't tell, because they were blurry and dark. Like you had to use the lens wide open, so it's either "face in focus" or "gun in focus", but not both.

Sorry. Not trying to be unsupportive. But it felt like a very dimly lit version of a fight scene from a Bourne movie, where you can't tell what the hell is going on except some sort of violence is occurring. That seems to be a thing with some directors, but personally I don't care for it.
                I saw that too, but I am assuming that, like in most films that employ crazy fast scenes like this, the scenes directly before and after this one provide the information the viewer needs to follow along.
                I didn't get the feeling that I was supposed to judge story-content here...rather that Indyreel just wanted to showcase one scene here for us specifically for its technical aspects.

Comment

Why did you change your film's name?
                  Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
                  Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Comment

Originally posted by IronFilm View Post
                    Why did you change your film's name?
                    Give this thread a read:
                    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...itle-Carefully!

Comment

I agree, the second and third Bourne movies had awful camera work in the action scenes. I call it "Shaky Cam" and it's a good way to hide bad fighting skills.
                      If you compare my scene with theirs however, you'll find there is no shaky cam, just fast cut editing. originally, I kept the cuts longer but felt it slowed the pace considerably. When editing, even a few 24th of a second affects the feel of the scene.

Comment

I saw the entire film...great work..

Comment

Thank you so much!

Comment

I was not as distracted in Ultimatum as I was in Supremacy. Supremacy was extreme shaky cam overkill to me, Ultimatum was just a bit much for my taste, but not abhorrent. As for this scene, it works, but I could also have done for a couple of wides to give a better sense of space.

Comment

Thank you. There are plenty of wides in the full scene and even better action. I just youtubed that section hoping it would impress people enough to rent the movie on amazon.

Comment

Working...
                              X