Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GH1 G6: Noise while recording

Hey there,

since there is no dedicated forum for the G6 (not GH6!), is it ok to ask my question here?

I'm using Rode videomic pro with +20dB, the G6 internal audio set to 4. It's almost hiss free, which is good, but you can actually here the lense/focus. Is there anything one can do about it?

Here is a video of the noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcP2...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Of course it'll pick up lens noises, it's like an inch away from it. You can move the mic further away or get a quieter lens.

Comment

But there is no other way? Is there maybe a more silent camera/objective out there? Any trick to make it more silent? You know Neistats videos? He is using autofocus as well and the same mic mounted on top, but you basically never hear any autofocus noise.... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCti...fVthA0qrFQTgXQ

Comment

A camera mount bracket will get the mic further away from the lens.
          That is one step that helps.
          Another important step is to physically isolate the mic from solid materials that can transfer unwanted audio noise.
          A rubber band shock mount is the answer.
          Using one of these and an appropriate bracket will be a big step in the right direction.
          Brackets can also assist with steadiness of your shots especially the ones with hand grips.
          Search the net as there are heaps to choose from.

Al

Comment

Alchroma, as I get it right, the rode videomic pro rycote uses a special suspension to decouple the mic from the camera. Did you notice that? Or do you think that this is not enough?

Comment

That should suspend and dampen audio noise.
              I'd still consider getting the mic away from the lens as far as practical, 6-8 inches.

I use a G6 and would love an earphone jack so we can monotor such things.

Al

Comment

Noise is usually more significant in the absence of signal. In a silent room my FZ1000 is dreadful - picks up the sound of its own stabiliser running - but in almost any real world situation, where the mic gain is much lower, you don't notice anything.

Comment

Ozpeter makes a sound point. Pun intended.

At least you can set the mic level to be less sensitive.
                  Tinker about with level settings until you find the "Sweet Spot".

Al

Comment

Working...
                  X