A7IV launch on Oct 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorBro View Post

This is a great feature many people use (even though it's not discussed much).

If I was using a camera for the long run I wouldn't have one that wasn't able to shoot 4K in S35 as well. It's almost a must-have for me, personally.
    Yeah, this is the biggest downside of the FX6 for me right now.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
      I think they say it isn't and then you'd unpack in post, but there's an asterisk in my mind because it's still 10-bit (for 60p)..
      As I recall from the Canon white paper, CRL is not debayered. So even if they're doing a 10-bit readout to increase the readout speed or lower the bitrate, you're still getting full color info unlike when recording 422
      www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

I doubt it, but it doesn't matter much as I think 8-bit 4:2:0 done right from high-resolution modern sensors can be good enough on YouTube.

Comment

Right. Except for the whole smudged color thing
          www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Just to reiterate: the only video quality that youtube impacts is resolution/detail. Watching something highly compressed in low resolution on a small screen means that all additional detail will be wasted. Especially the >4K resolution that pixel peepers mindlessly obsess over.

color fidelity is not wasted on YouTube. Neither is dynamic range, rolling shutter speed, vignetting, focus breathing, flare resistance... the list goes on and on. All of that comes through, which is why Arri still looks better than iPhone on YouTube
            www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

You're starting to get antsy, man...your new wedding client just called and said they are going with Jonny with the new iPhone 13 Pro.

"We heard he shoots in ProRes. And we like his I love AI shirt."

Comment

Do you know any professional cameramen in real life who aren't deposition videographers?
                www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Not anymore; they have unrelated jobs now.

DVXuser's ZombieFest is coming up tho...

Comment

Go get 'em, Tiger...

Comment

Originally posted by drboffa View Post
                      I realize this isn't a selling point for most people in a world that's going mad over FF cameras, but presumably the 33MP sensor means you'll be able to do 4K in S35/APS-C mode, which is something you can't do with the A7S3. For people with lots of S35 glass that's a nice bonus (and one I wish was available on the A7S3).
                      +1. Exactamundo! on that. Hence me hanging out to see if it is up to scratch in the 422 50/60/120 in the crop stakes.

Chris Young

Comment

I presume that the bit-depth and chroma subsampling will be the same if it's cropped or uncropped. And, if anything, maybe it could even do 4k120p with a crop but not without. But 4k60p in the crop seems like a certainty
                        www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

New high confidence rumor says:

"4k 60p will be oversampled from 4.8k s35 mode and 10bit 4:2:2"

Positive and negative implications:

1. It will do 4k60p 10-bit 4:2:2
                          2. It will most likely also do 4k24p 10-bit 4:2:2 cropped and uncropped
                          3. This isn't certain, but the rumor seems to imply that the a7iv will not record 4k60p uncropped, even by pixel-binning

If the camera can't record 4k60p full-frame, then that puts its capabilities in line with the previous generation of cameras (lumix s1, not canon r6). And the a7siii lives to fight another day

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/a7-4...4-8k-s35-mode/
                          www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

This is a good development. Sounds like a great place to cripple the camera (4k60) and still deliver 10bit in the other more used modes. Hope that is the reality.

Comment

So I'll chime in and give my thoughts on the upcoming A7IV (like my thoughts matter haha).

I was an early adopter of the A7S as I grabbed one the day it was released in the US. I then grabbed an A7SII not long after it came out and also grabbed an A7SIII early on as well. I also currently own an A1 & FX6 in addition to my A7SIII and have previously had an A7RIII, A7RII, A7III, A6500, A6300, FS7 & FS7II, in addition to an A77 & A99 in the old Sony A-mount.

Needless to say, I've owned my share of Sony cameras haha. I've owned other brands as well (Canon, Blackmagic, Panasonic), but Sony has long been the main brand I work with as I really like their gear and the way they do things.

Out of all the cameras I've owned, the FX6, A7SIII & A1 combo I have now are head and shoulders above anything else I've ever owned. It's the first time I've ever felt that my B-cams match my A-cam in every category to where I can grab any of those three and know with confidence that my images are all going to look great, match great and cut together great. It's such a great feeling and has made me feel like I can just show up to a shoot and not have to think about what limitations one of my cameras might have.

When I owned the A7III, I hated that camera. I got one to replace my aging A7SII at the time thinking it would be a nice upgrade, and in some ways it ways it was. Much better battery life, dual card slots, good AF. But outside of the improvements, it also was many steps backward from what I had. The camera overheated all the time which wasn't just my copy as I rented some extras for shoots and they all did the same thing. It also had the worst HD I've ever seen in a camera (similar to the A6300/A6500) which was unfortunate because HD was the only way to achieve high frame rates. As such, I just had to avoid ever shooting anything over 30p on that camera as the results in HD were too embarrassing to hand over to a client. Lastly, the A7III always had this weird motion cadence that was hard to explain, but it was definitely there. Shots just didn't look smooth and I never could understand why. But they definitely didn't.

With the upcoming A7IV, I think Sony will give it some great features, but I really doubt it will match the A7SIII, FX6 or A1 for video. I'm betting that 4K 60p in APS-C crop mode, oversampled from 4.8K like ahalpert said is correct. I bet there's no 4K 120p, no full frame 4K 60p, and the 10-bit 4:2:2 recordings will be limited somehow. I wouldn't even be surprised if the codecs were limited (like no option for XAVCS-I), although I could be wrong about that.

Sony won't kill this camera. It will be good in a lot of ways. It will shoot beautiful photos at a solid megapixel count, it will shoot nice full frame 4K images with a nice 4K 60p crop option. It will have the updated menus and will feature great autofocus. But, it won't be the A7SIII. It will still be crippled for a lot of video specs, it will likely be in a cheaper body with a cheaper screen or viewfinder (they usually do this), and it will have some quirks as the A7 line always does.

People will buy this camera, no doubt. It will be fairly priced and will be good enough for many people. Mirrorless shooters looking for affordable 4K 60p and some 10-bit options with great AF will flock to it. But pro shooters who are looking for reliable gear that has no weird quirks in a body that is well built with a great VF, great 10-bit options, lots of 4K frame rate options and a solid codec will still get the A7SIII. And for those that don't want the VF and want a handle with audio inputs, they will still buy the FX3. The A7IV will be a nice camera, but it won't be those cameras. Those are my thoughts!
                              Last edited by Joshua Milligan; 10-11-2021, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I totally agree. I never expected the A7IV to be equal to the A7sIII but I do expect it to be current with very good video specs as you mentioned. While I am not crazy about Sony ergonomics, I do like the their approach of the A/B cameras being consistent through the family. Something I do not like as much with Canon's approach although they have improved. For my work, buying an A7IV and an A7sIII would be a nice combo IF the A7IV's video can be on par in the 4k24/30 normal shooting modes. The A7Iv could be the A-cam for photos and B-cam for video jobs. The A7sIII could be the opposite. I am not so concerned with all-I codecs as I have been using long-GOP forever. Just don't skimp on the thing and everybody will be happy imho.

Comment

Working...
                                X