Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NorBro
    replied
    IBIS can't be too great because that's Panasonic's thing.

I always say this but obviously Sony Corporation could have Panasonic's IBIS if they wanted to but don't.

It's been like 10 years. Same thing for AF vice-versa.

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    Originally posted by NorBro View Post
    It will still have the same great AF that has barely changed for the last 6 years (besides adding some slicker functionality) and the same barely usable IBIS, and it would be enough to move it because it's a Sony full-frame.
    The only thing that could raise my eyebrows is improved IBIS. Not so much because I'd buy one, but because it would mean they stopped crippling it and future bodies will also have better IBIS

It may also do 6K or 7K internal recording. But that wouldn't raise my eyebrows

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

I only care about abnormal people because that's me

But if we're just speculating about sales figures, then yes I'm sure the a7iv will blow the a7siii out of the water, even among videographers. And most will never realize what they're missing

Also, 12800 ISO is really not that high in terms of stops of exposure increase. I never use the camera at its highest available settings.. those numbers are irrelevant to me except insofar as they indicate good performance at a relatively higher ISO
    I don't think it will blow it out of the water. And I don't think 12800 looks good on the a7SIII, but I think it can be necessary for some to have though.

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    Originally posted by cyvideo View Post
    If it's 10-bit 422 internal with 60/120p even if that is only available in Crop mode I would be interested. Have been hanging out to see this 7iv before making the jump to anything else.

Chris Young
    One imagines it could do 4k120p with a crop. Not sure about overheating. But the bigger question is if sony enables it

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    4K/120p is the only paper spec that can be used to impress normal people.

"Better" low-light will never be noticed as the IV will likely also be excellent (besides at those much higher ISOs most people don't use), and half of the people who use the camera never heard of a rolling shutter.

FX3 is just part of the game...a recycled improvement for a bit more money.

Buy once...and then buy again.

It's great, but just saying.
    I only care about abnormal people because that's me

But if we're just speculating about sales figures, then yes I'm sure the a7iv will blow the a7siii out of the water, even among videographers. And most will never realize what they're missing

Also, 12800 ISO is really not that high in terms of stops of exposure increase. I never use the camera at its highest available settings.. those numbers are irrelevant to me except insofar as they indicate good performance at a relatively higher ISO

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    For the lower price, I think it would be at best like the R6 and similarly limited with codecs and datarates (a7SIII and R5 would have the better options), and that would be enough to make people happy.

It will still have the same great AF that has barely changed for the last 6 years (besides adding some slicker functionality) and the same barely usable IBIS, and it would be enough to move it because it's a Sony full-frame.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    If it's really $2500, they have some room. If it's any more, like $3K, it won't matter much and both could be similar with the usual minor gives and takes.

Leave a comment:

• Bassman2003
    replied
    Does competition with the A7sIII matter much going forward? I do not think it does. The camera is quite niche with photo people shying away from 12 MPX and most video folks had over a year to buy one (shortage not included). I see them as a possible compliment to each other but only if a desired minimum is met. If they cripple the A7IV it shuns the video crowd and ruins the one-two punch. If the A7IV shines, most people would not have bought the A7sIII anyway. So I do not see the logic in risking their larger potential seller to protect the niche product.

Leave a comment:

• cyvideo
    replied
    If it's 10-bit 422 internal with 60/120p even if that is only available in Crop mode I would be interested. Have been hanging out to see this 7iv before making the jump to anything else.

Chris Young

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    They've had 8-bit HLG so history says...maybe.

Leave a comment:

• DLD
    replied
    Can't have HDR with 8-bit ... can ya?

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    4K/120p is the only paper spec that can be used to impress normal people.

"Better" low-light will never be noticed as the IV will likely also be excellent (besides at those much higher ISOs most people don't use), and half of the people who use the camera never heard of a rolling shutter.

FX3 is just part of the game...a recycled improvement for a bit more money.

Buy once...and then buy again.

It's great, but just saying.

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    They'll probably give you 10-bit up to 30p.

But a7SIII needs something more or what's the point...might as well sell them all at the flea market.
    Well, you've got 4k120p, full readout 4k60p, better low-light, faster rolling shutter. Not enough?

The real kicker will be if the a7iv overheats in 4k24p after a time. That would be a clear differentiation

But I sort of feel like the a7siii is in no man's land. The FX3 has a fan, a proper locking top handle and audio inputs, plus tally light. Lots of differentiation from a7iv even before before discuss specs and codecs

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    They'll probably give you 10-bit up to 30p.

But a7SIII needs something more or what's the point...might as well sell them all at the flea market.

Leave a comment:

• Bassman2003
    replied
    Needs to be 10bit (internal) for me to consider. If so, I will give it a hard look vs the R6. I know the Sony Execs are monitoring my crucial decision... But it is almost 2022. It would be sad if they went with 8bit for all involved with video.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X