Weird autofocus Issue with Fuji X-T3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird autofocus Issue with Fuji X-T3

Hello. I do production, and I do videoblogging too, and I self record myself for my youtube channel. I Bought a Fuji XT-3 to have good visuals, so I trust in the autofocus to autoshoot my speeches.
    After some days of failures and suceeds, I've discovered an strange pattern, just wondering if in other cameras is the same: When I wear red t-shirts or clothing, autofocus becomes crazy and ruins my videos sistematically.
    I use the 18-55mm stock zoom

Here you have two samples. ¿some experiencies or ideas about?

56d4197d-053f-495f-ade3-a9a24fa3c07a.jpg

Secuencia 01.00_00_02_06.Imagen fija001.jpg

THanks!

Auto-focus doesn't work too well on the X-T3 anymore. It's unpredictable and randomly succeeds and/or fails no matter the color of fabric.

Your clips have deeper DOF so it would be better to just use manual focus if you're not moving around too much.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
      Auto-focus doesn't work too well on the X-T3 anymore. It's unpredictable and randomly succeeds and/or fails no matter the color of fabric.

Your clips have deeper DOF so it would be better to just use manual focus if you're not moving around too much.
      I see, thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post

So it worked better before? Or could you elaborate a bit more?
        I was just looking into Fuji XT3.

Comment

Compared to Sonys A73 series the X-T3 is a joke when it comes to AF. It misses focus so often and it's the same on all Fujicameras.

Comment

Originally posted by M.R. View Post
            So it worked better before? Or could you elaborate a bit more?
            I was just looking into Fuji XT3.
            Yes, it did - until a firmware update broke it.

You (meaning anyone) would have to understand and follow different cameras to see all of the changes that have happened (for better and/or for worse in them over the years) to believe in Japanese camera conspiracies, but it is what it is.

The camera's AF once worked well and a FW update changed it and it never operated the same again.

___

Depending on whom you ask, some think the Japanese companies collaborate when creating products (in this case, cameras).

The X-T3 was way too good for too little money. It was an accident.

So it's speculated they had to break it to keep certain people happy (and AF was by far the best choice). Ironically, the FW was supposed to make it better (it was mainly an auto-focus FW update), so naturally thousands of people installed it and rendered their system useless for continuous video auto-focusing.

Similar to how viruses are made for a purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Brown View Post
              Compared to Sonys A73 series the X-T3 is a joke when it comes to AF. It misses focus so often and it's the same on all Fujicameras.
              The a7III isn't as good as the IV or the a6400/a6600 line.

Fujifilm's X-T30 was really good at one point but not sure if that changed too.

Comment

Yes, if AF is on the wish list anything above the third Sony generation beats all other systems.

Comment

Probably a stupid question, but is there a way of putting back the older firmware?
                  Or is that a very complex thing to do?

Comment

Not stupid, a common question...it's very easy when a company allows it, but they don't...which contributed to the problem.

(But FWIW many companies don't.)

Comment

The firmware 3.2 seemed to fix the problem for me. In really low light it is prone to the micro pulsing in f-log but much better in other profiles. F-log isn't the best profile to use in low light anyway. Don't remember having a specific problem with the colour red though

Comment

so with firmware 3.2, is the XT3 back on the "approved" list of mirrorless cameras with reliable/useable continuous autofocus in video?

stay well.

rob
                        smalltalk productions/nyc
                        the story is never black & white
                        it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

Comment

I don't think it's quite as good as Canon or Sony but for the few times I use it - on gimbal mainly it hasn't let me down. If I relied purely on AF for everything maybe I'd look at the other systems but then they don't offer a small hybrid camera with the capabilities for the price of the XT3. Depends what your priorities are

Comment

The only time I'd use the X-T3's autofocus is if I was free to roam around and shoot random b-roll, and/or if the subject was too difficult to focus manually (and shallow DOF was desired). In that case, I could maybe edit my way around any focusing issues depending on the content/final product.

But for longer interviews - keynotes - lectures, I wouldn't risk it if other people would be watching only that without any b-roll covering the speaking.

If it was a smooth transition in which focus was eased back into then it would be okay, but sometimes the camera confuses itself and goes haywire with the pulsing.

And sometimes it doesn't. Turbulent behavior.

___

P.S. The X-T4 looks okay in some tests so far, but I have also seen the pulsing.
                            Last edited by NorBro; 05-23-2020, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X