X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hesitate between canon 60d, t3i or 5d mark ii for video

Hi,
    i don't know if i should buy a canon 60d, t3i, 5d mark ii for filmmaking

The t3i is quite cheap. I can find one at 300$.
    The canon 60d could be good as well (since its bigger, the weight is better for balance of the camera and less shaking).

The canon 5d mark ii is better in low light, maybe a better contrast.

(the t3i seems to have less ISO options if i'm not mistaken)

What do you suggest me ?

Thanks in advance,
    Have a good day,
    deleuze3

Any chance you could find a bit more money? If not I would get 5D but it's me.
    FS7 & other

Comment

I would go with the 70D, better at low light and dual pixel auto focus (very helpful if you mount it on a gimbal stablizer) you can get a good sale deal or a used on ebay.

Comment

These days I wouldn't recommend any of those 3. For slightly more than a used 5dmkII, you can get an A6300 or a used GH4. You can make up the price difference by saving money with vintage lenses - of which you have many more options than you do for Canon.

If you absolutely can't stretch you budget any further, then go with the t3i because it's cheapest, and upgrade as soon as you can. The image is pretty similar from all 3 - looking back at my old Canon DSLR footage, I can never tell what is what between my 5dmkII, 5dmkIII, 7D & 60D. It all just looks equally soft and full of aliasing, albeit with a nice out-of-the-box look.
        VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
        Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
        Adobe CC 2018

Comment

None of the above from Canon!

A Panasonic GH1 is almost free it is so so cheap! (US$100ish or so secondhand)

And the GH1 even just edges out the 5Dmk2 as a better film camera.

Get a Panasonic G7 (US$350ish secondhand) and you'll have a massively better camera.
          Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
          Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Comment

No idea why anybody would buy a Canon DSLR for shooting video nowadays (except if you're going to shoot RAW on the 5D3), but if you're adamant to go there, this is good advice:

Originally posted by deltoidjohn View Post
            These days I wouldn't recommend any of those 3. For slightly more than a used 5dmkII, you can get an A6300 or a used GH4. You can make up the price difference by saving money with vintage lenses - of which you have many more options than you do for Canon.

If you absolutely can't stretch you budget any further, then go with the t3i because it's cheapest, and upgrade as soon as you can. The image is pretty similar from all 3 - looking back at my old Canon DSLR footage, I can never tell what is what between my 5dmkII, 5dmkIII, 7D & 60D. It all just looks equally soft and full of aliasing, albeit with a nice out-of-the-box look.

Comment

what do you suggest samuel?

Comment

There are lots of great options out there, it depends on what your priorities are, and your budget. There are some great options from Panasonic (GX85, GH4; only if you don't mind the low dynamic range), Sony (a6300, RX100 IV; only if you don't mind the slow rolling shutter in 4k), and Blackmagic (the pocket is still a super strong offering, I'm shooting with it next week because we just can't find anything better -given my director's preferences- for under $5k). If you're willing to stay one step behind, you can also go for the a6000 or a5100 (they have aliasing but it's monochrome, nowhere as bad as the rainbows in those Canon you suggested). I still think my NEX-5N is better than current APS-C Canons.

One thing all these cameras have in common: they are mirrorless. It seems it's the way of the future: you don't need a mirror to shoot video, and that's increasingly the case for stills as well. And it means you can use very cheap and relatively good vintage glass, which will probably also work on your future cameras even if you switch brands. NIkon AI and Canon FD primes are cheap and nice and will work on all of these. Leica-R is even better but a bit more expensive. If you want to go rock bottom, russian primes are almost free.

For a beginner, Canon right now doesn't make any sense to me: cheap models are basically 5-years-old tech, way worse than the competition. Mid-tier is still mostly lacking, unless you want to shoot RAW on the 5D3 (I don't think the 5D4 is going to be any better than the a6300, which costs a third of the price and is also APS-C, and has slog for much improved DR). So, if you start there, you'd better have the cash to move to the C line very very soon, otherwise you're underpowered and spending your money on expensive glass that's only the best option if all your future cameras are Canon as well.

Comment

Working...
                X