Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re: Panasonic GX85 // Battery exhausted WHILE recording.... WHAT HAPPENED NEXT????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic GX85 // Battery exhausted WHILE recording.... WHAT HAPPENED NEXT????

I filmed in 4K/24p for 50 minutes continuously.

When I started recording, I had about 50% battery life left.

Towards the 50 minute mark that is when the low battery warning started flashing (I was too busy concentrating on the action I didn't see when the low battery warning started).

All of a sudden before I could hit the record button to stop recording and to save the file the camera shuts down and outputs the message "Battery Exhausted". I wait about 30 seconds before shutting off the camera because if the GX85 closes the file properly then I need to give it time to do its job (not sure if this is true, but it's better to be on the safe side), especially for a 50 minute continuous file!

After 30 seconds I officially turned the camera to [OFF]. While wondering in my head if the GX85 managed to save the file properly, I scrambled to eject the old battery and insert a new one.

New battery inserted. The first thing I did was press the play button to see if I could access the 50 minute clip.

Immediately I could see the thumbnail representing what I think is the 50 minute clip. I select it and press play. And success!!!

To ensure that this is in fact the 50 minute clip, I fast forward to the end and the whole thing is INTACT!!!

Therefore I am happy to say the GX85 is designed to properly close a file upon exhaustion of the battery!

Note: The file is 31.8GB in size!!! No post needed to string several files together!

Now time to test what happens if the battery is pulled while recording!

Originally posted by ectobuilder View Post
    Now time to test what happens if the battery is pulled while recording!
    It will end in tears... :-)

Sod's law says after a successful test like you have had: your removing-battery-during-recording test will corrupt the memory card and/or lock up the camera for the next 5 minutes ensuring you miss the Pulitzer Prize Winning Event that happens in the next 3 minutes where you are the only camera within 2 miles :-)

Comment

Working...
    X