Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Sony RX10 II review and slowmo footage

Hello!

I've recently tested the new Sony RX10 II video capabilites. Have a look at this video:

I come from a Canon 7D and these are my initial thoughts:
    • Camera body is small, very small. Build quality is good but not great as the 7D.
    • Controls for video are better than my 7D, specially the iris ring, custom assignable buttons, built-in ND filter, shooting aids, etc
    • Menu layout is very clear and professional looking
    • Video quality is definitively crisper and clear than the one from 7D, but it lacks the CANON look&feel. The video from the Sony is more video-ish, less filmic. You can only achieve decent DoF at 200m f2.8.
    • Low light sensitivity is pretty good for a 1" sensor
    • Zoom speed is lame, slow in standby mode and not responsive at all when recording (so slow it seems like a toy). Very frustrating.
    • Slow-mo at 240/250 fps is awesome. I would say that it equals Sony FS700 with regards to picture quality. But you are limited to 2seg (not too bad actually). The problem is that you must set the zoom, iris, focus (basically everything) prior to actually start shooting. Once the camera is in continous recording mode you cannot change anything. What's the point Sony here?? Very difficult to operate and most of the times, getting the perfect shot is a trial and error procedure.
    • S-log2 and picture profiles not tested yet.
    • LCD: good resolution, but small form factor. Same for viewfinder.
    • Autofocus for video: not fully tested. It seems to work but not impressed.
    • Battery life: very good. Shot all day with 1 battery and a half. Good job sony!
    • XAVC codec: very good, good file sizes, no compression artifacts and lightning-fast to edit and render from Sony Vegas. Love it!
    • Recording media: cheap SD cards.

As you can see I have mixed feelings from this little camera. Some things are impressive (like the slowmo) but others remind you that you have a consumer camera in your hands (zoom&focus controls). Have a look at the following video and tell me what you think.

I'm very curious to know more about this little beast. I'm personally on the search for a small 4K camera for some doc work we are about to do and I had not heard about the RX10 ii until your post to be honest. My first question is, is that just the Vimeo compression introducing all of the macro blocking? Or is that actually the compression from that camera?

Also do you know what strength the ND filter is? I tried looking that info up but cannot find anywhere that even mentions there being internal ND. Over all are you happy making a transition from a 7D (with I assume L or at least ultrasonic lenses) to the RX10?

Comment

There are no compression artifacts at all because of the great codec (XAVC) which records at 50Mbps LONG GOP. If you see any is because of the render or vimeo compression.

It does have an ND filter for sure. But only 1.

I'm happy to transition from a 7D to RX10 because I was very frustrated of the horrible Canon codec and the 7D had a lot of weaknesses when it comes to record video. But it depends on what your project is. For documentaries, weddings and such I would recommend getting a Canon C100 (more professional, better cinematic image, etc) but I do shot a lot of sports and I DO need slowmotion capabilities. I was between the Sony FS700 and the RX10. Price wise, the RX10 is great so I gave it a try.

Originally posted by TSDavis View Post
      I'm very curious to know more about this little beast. I'm personally on the search for a small 4K camera for some doc work we are about to do and I had not heard about the RX10 ii until your post to be honest. My first question is, is that just the Vimeo compression introducing all of the macro blocking? Or is that actually the compression from that camera?

Also do you know what strength the ND filter is? I tried looking that info up but cannot find anywhere that even mentions there being internal ND. Over all are you happy making a transition from a 7D (with I assume L or at least ultrasonic lenses) to the RX10?

Comment

Right now my main rig is a C100 but we are looking for something smaller for this doc as we are traveling in some unsavory countries where we need to maintain as low profile as possible. I don't want to shoot on 5Ds, for the reasons you've stated yourself, so I will have to go check out this little sucker. Did you get your hands on one early? Everywhere I look says it's on pre-order.

Comment

Check bhphotovideo. Not sure if the rx10 will intercut very well with your c100. Two different looking pictures...

Comment

are there picture parameters/profiles to work with? Did yu shoot these outdoor shots with ND? Frame rate?

Comment

YEs, there are plenty of picture profiles included S-log2. Yes most of them with ND on. Frame rate is 25 fps. Slowmos at 250fps.

Originally posted by Gweilo66 View Post
              are there picture parameters/profiles to work with? Did yu shoot these outdoor shots with ND? Frame rate?

Comment

Working...
              X