Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New DSLR - Too Many Options

Hey Guys,
    I'm having such a difficult time deciding on the latest and greatest DSLR to buy, I know this is a common thread, but i would appreciate any thoughts! Here are my desires I am an avid photographer and Cinematographer, so i would like something that does well at both, but I do lean toward filmmaking obviously stronger. I am an available light shooting so low light sensitivity is a big deal, however, sharpness is everything to me. I am going to stay around 3k in prices and wish to have the Canon 24-105 Prime lens. Let me know your thoughts! I'm looking at:

Canon EOS 5D Mark III (Surprise!)
    Panasonic GH4 with speed booster
    And if it's worth it Possibly the BMCC 2.5 K

What I'd really like to know is if there are really huge differences in the top two camera's aesthetic and if it is a major difference in video quality. I'd also like to know the legitimacy of the GH4's photography capabilities if anyone has experience with it! Thanks!

I think the NX1 is better than the GH4 in every way (much bigger sensor, with more DR, sharper, and with better prospects for improvements in the future; also, very usable AF for video, and much better stills).
    And I'd also take the a7S before the 5D3 (unless shooting RAW, then it would be a close call, still for the a7S in my case but pretty close), and the pocket before the BMC 2.5K (I have both at hand and we haven't used the 2.5K much since we got the pocket).

Now, between the NX1, the a7S and the pocket, it's a tough call: it depends on your preferences regarding DR (pocket>a7S>NX1), sharpness (NX1>a7S=pocket), and workflow (H.265 and RAW are kind of a pain to work with).

Comment

I've been a Canon shooter for two decades so take that bias into consideration... For a stills camera, the 5D3 and the Canon lens system is hard to beat. Nikons are a good choice for stills too, but really that's a personal preference thing and can be (and too often is) debated ad nauseum.
      Look around and you won't see professional photographers shooting on micro 4/3 cameras or Sony DSLRs. Hobbyists and enthusiasts do, and many will get great pictures with them, but the pros go with the pro tools so they can use the lenses. Cinematography has moved away from the DSLR already. The C100, FS7, FS700, etc all give the large sensor look with all the video features that are PITA add ons for a DSLR. Again, the hobbyists and the less affluent shooters are still using their DSLRs (and again many are getting great images with them!), but a lot of paid work just doesn't have time to deal with DSLRs anymore.
      Okay, so you have a budget and you want to shoot both stills and video... The 5D3 is going to be the choice for stills. For video? The GH4 is going to be sharper and give you the 4k option, but you have to be ok with the look. I personally don't like the colors as much from the GH4 vs the Canon. Too much of the GH4 stuff I see looks over sharp and a little video ish. Canon has a good reputation for color science and if you're not going to spend hours on the grade the Canon will deliver. (If you go Canon look into the Vision Color picture profiles: http://www.vision-color.com/visioncolor-for-canon-eos/ )
      But what are you going to be shooting? Personal stuff where you walk around with your camera? Well, the GH4 does have an advantage in that it's smaller.

Oh yeah...the 24-105 is not a prime. It's a zoom.

Comment

I haven't shot with all of these cameras, but based on what I've read, for low light performance go with a Sony A7s, Nikon d750 or Canon 5D MK III. For stills, Canon and Nikon have the edge. For lens selection, I'm going to say that Nikon has an edge over Canon because, Nikon lenses from the 70s up can be used on modern cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
          I think the NX1 is better than the GH4 in every way (much bigger sensor, with more DR, sharper, and with better prospects for improvements in the future; also, very usable AF for video, and much better stills).
          And I'd also take the a7S before the 5D3 (unless shooting RAW, then it would be a close call, still for the a7S in my case but pretty close), and the pocket before the BMC 2.5K (I have both at hand and we haven't used the 2.5K much since we got the pocket).

Now, between the NX1, the a7S and the pocket, it's a tough call: it depends on your preferences regarding DR (pocket>a7S>NX1), sharpness (NX1>a7S=pocket), and workflow (H.265 and RAW are kind of a pain to work with).
          I'm even thinking of starting with the NX500 and add the NX1 2nd. I always need a backup and B-cam and the NX500 comes with the kit lens really cheap. The NX1 is available body only and with a $79 fotodiox aperture adapter I can use every lens in my bag.
          https://www.fotodioxpro.com/lens-mou...nx-camera.html
          So all around it makes more sense for me to start with the cheaper NX500 and add the NX1 in a few months. There are already discount deals on both cameras and into the summer they will get cheaper most likely
          Michael Rockmore

Comment

Something to also take into account is that if you are going to invest in a BM camera, you will have to buy some kit items to get it up and running. With your 5Dmk3/GH4 options, not as much. I know you didn't mention what I'm about to suggest as part of your possible suggestions, but have you thought about looking purchasing a used C100? There are even C100 package options that come with the 24-105 zoom lense. That would def. give you a good cinematography feel and meet some of the wickets you are looking for, like low light shooting, small and ergonomic, etc. What do you think?

Comment

The new NX1 seems very good to me. I'd love to get my hands on one and play with it. The footage I´ve seen looks incredibly and the price is more than decent.
              Last edited by macgregor; 05-11-2015, 07:40 PM.
              Macgregor

macgregor.works
              zac&mac

Comment

And NX1 can fly too.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKMORE View Post
                  I'm even thinking of starting with the NX500 and add the NX1 2nd. I always need a backup and B-cam and the NX500 comes with the kit lens really cheap. The NX1 is available body only and with a $79 fotodiox aperture adapter I can use every lens in my bag.
                  https://www.fotodioxpro.com/lens-mou...nx-camera.html
                  So all around it makes more sense for me to start with the cheaper NX500 and add the NX1 in a few months. There are already discount deals on both cameras and into the summer they will get cheaper most likely
                  I was interested in the NX500 as well... until I read about the crop factor in video mode.

Comment

The GH4 makes nice video, not sure about the other DLSRs.

It also takes OK photos I guess.

The BM cameras also make nice video, but are completely no go for still photography

CanNikon DSLRs are pretty crud for video and excellent for stills.

it is also worth considering that video may have other requirments.. like sound.

Personally I am here..
                    Nikon D600 for stills (I could get a cheaper nikon and still be happy)
                    and GH4/Yag box for a small video camera is where I am going probably.

S
                    http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
                      The GH4 makes nice video, not sure about the other DLSRs.

It also takes OK photos I guess.

The BM cameras also make nice video, but are completely no go for still photography

CanNikon DSLRs are pretty crud for video and excellent for stills.

it is also worth considering that video may have other requirments.. like sound.

Personally I am here..
                      Nikon D600 for stills (I could get a cheaper nikon and still be happy)
                      and GH4/Yag box for a small video camera is where I am going probably.

S
                      I think I will hang on to my 600D for stills. It's not worth selling and I still have all my Canon lenses.
                      The new Ursa Mini would be a killer camera, but will be $5,000 for the camera and another $2,000 for extras to get started, also 5 lbs.
                      There is no perfect solution as always, but an NX1 is small, sharp, 4K, quite efficient data storage with H-265 and I've seen $1,500 with the kit lens on sale. It's the cheapest house in the most expensive neighborhood. And actually with the NX1 I no longer need the 600D for anything.
                      Last edited by ROCKMORE; 05-12-2015, 01:54 AM.
                      Michael Rockmore

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
                        I was interested in the NX500 as well... until I read about the crop factor in video mode.
                        Samuel is right again. Googled it and found this. I guess it will be 2 NX1s for a 2 camera 4K set up in my future, but that's still less for 2 cameras than many are for 1.

Three Ways the Samsung NX500 is a crippled NX1
                        The manual is now out for the Samsung NX500. This was the compact and relatively cheap camera with NX1 innards (same sensor and processor) that would shoot 4K on an APS-C sensor.

But,

1. The 4K is done by cropping the sensor. The NX1 samples the whole sensor. This means on the NX500 the crop mode is more than 2X35mm, as opposed to 1.5 on the NX1. Impossible to get wide angles with any OIS lenses, including the kit zoom. It is also unclear how good cropped mode is relative to full sampling.

2. The maximum bitrate for 4K is 40 Mbps (HEVC). That for the NX1 is 80 Mbps (HEVC).

3. There is no focus peaking in 4K mode!

And, of course, no evf or mic input, but we knew that.
                        Michael Rockmore

Comment

Yes I have in fact I am considering it very strongly right now. Is there a huge advantage to the Mark II vs the original? Is slow motion and the higher codec worth 2K?

Comment

The Panasonic GH4 /Samsung NX1 / Sony A7s are the clear top three in the MILC/DSLR marketplace (no way would I count Canon there).
                            None of those three are "better" than the other two. They're just..... different. Depends on the person and their shooting needs (and even the particular project at hand) as to which is "best". If it is a beginner, I'd always lean towards recommending a GH4 out of the three. (As the m4/3 ecosystem and the GH series is a more refined and polished experience. It is their 4th one after all! Panasonic has a lot of R&D behind it. While NX1 and A7s are first generation products)

I don't think a BMCC is a good idea at all for 80%+ of shooters, when you can get the BMPCC (and soon BMMCC!) instead.
                            As to if any BMD camera is, depends on a person's background and how driven they are.
                            I've seen BMCC vs GH4 compared as learning to drive with manual on an 18 wheel rig vs learning to drive with automatic in a hatchback. I feel that is a handy comparison.
                            When learning you really want a camera which accelerates your learning process, not holds it back.

Thus, if you've never shot extensively with a DSLR/MILC before , get a Panasonic GH4. (Or Panasonic G7)

If you do have a background in it, then you can also consider NX1/A7s plus more significantly also the BMD cameras: BMPCC (or the BMMCC) and if you have plenty of cash to spend you can't go past considering the URSA Mini 4.6K
                            Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
                            Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Comment

Working...
                            X