Affordable canon full frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affordable canon full frame

Which of the Canon mirrorless are affordable that can shoot full frame 4k in video mode? Preferably with internal recording that can handle some color correction -- I guess that means a decent bit rate?
    What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?! Huh??!!

R6 is the cheapest and pretty much likely the only option for you. And it's currently on sale (because the second version is out for $400 more):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_digital.html

Everything else which has a full-frame sensor that's cheaper shoots cropped 4K. The others that are normal are more expensive (R5, R3, etc).

Comment

Thanks! So what does the second version do that's different? Is it worth the extra money? Canon EOS R6 Mark II Mirrorless Camera

Comment

R6 has 30 minute record limit, over heats if you use 4k 60 a lot, no 3rd party lenses so you'll be spending a lot on R glass.

Maybe you should get a Sony A7IV (wink)

Comment

Originally posted by thefilmaddict View Post
          Thanks! So what does the second version do that's different? Is it worth the extra money? Canon EOS R6 Mark II Mirrorless Camera
          There is a thread about it here where you might learn something:

https://www.dvxuser.com/forum/announ...4-canon-r6-mk2

I would buy the II if I was only considering the I or II, I think spending the extra $400 is worth it.

Comment

That thread was a really good read. It sounds like paying more is definitely the way to go. As far as lenses, I have all ef glass. Ef will work on these cameras with an adapter, right?

sony does seem to offer a lot for the money. It’s just that I worry about having to buy all new lenses. Ef won’t work on Sony, right?

Comment

EF works on both, but AF takes a little hit on a RF body and takes a big hit on a Sony body (unusable in some situations).

Here's the regular Canon adapter (they also have one with a ring and ND filters...use the style menu below the price to see the others):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ter_ef_rf.html

[P.S. I have a 35mm f/1.8 RF for sale if you decide to go for RF and would like to try at least one RF lens on it. Amazing glass, pretty much brand new.]

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpUZAGKrshM

I can recommend the Meike nd filter adaptor has been faultless for over a year now, much cheaper than the Canon version with less colour cast. Get the Breakthrough if you want best quality

Comment

The drop in nd filter sounds awesome. Since it’s variable, you only need the one nd filter. Since it’s part of the adapter, you don’t have to buy a bunch of nd for all of your lenses!

I guess I’d have to stick with canon. I wouldn’t want to lose the benefits of the autofocus.

as some of you know, I have the ursa 12k as my main camera. This canon would just be a second camera to use to take stills and to use as a b cam or for when I want to shoot something fast and don’t want to put the beast (ursa) together — it’s big and heavy.

do you think I can get the ursa 12k and canon looking similar enough to cut together?

Comment

Also, I do own the canon 90d and like it as a hybrid camera. The video quality is decent, but it doesn’t hold up to hard grading. I assume that’s because of the lower bitrate. It also has its looked built in. Not much room as far as the black levels and highlight clipping.

I assume I should notice a big improvement with the r6 v2?

I also like the idea of shooting full frame. I’ll be able to get closer to my subject because the lenses will be wider and I’ll be able to get shallower depth of field, right?

Comment

Originally posted by thefilmaddict View Post
                      I guess I’d have to stick with canon. I wouldn’t want to lose the benefits of the autofocus.
                      There is no difference in AF performance of the Canon or Meike version on ef lenses, of course there is always the possibility that Canon could some day release a firmware that would exclude use of 3rd party adaptors but I doubt it

Comment

I was referring to buying a Sony rather than a canon. That 3rd party adaptor sounds like a winner. Although the drop in filter version no longer seems available at b and h.
                        Last edited by thefilmaddict; 12-21-2022, 04:48 AM.

Comment

R6 I/II has LOG so you'll have more flexibility in post vs. your non-LOG 90D.

Will hold up better but I wouldn't expect anything crazy (like compared to your Blackmagic RAW).

And, yes, you'll get more shallow but depends on aperture too (as you know).

Comment

Great info! I've been reading about the R5 C. It seems like the real camera to get that will be a little bit more future proof (just meaning it will have a little more longevity) because it shoots 8K and it seems to have a lot of video specific tools, but it's $2000 more. I'm sure once you buy cards, the adapter, batteries, etc..., it gets really pricey (I see it has an audio add on as well for connecting mics to it). Have you guys used it? Is it that incredible? How does it compare to the R6 2? And thank you for your awesome responses.

Comment

It's better than the R6 in different video ways but the R6 has better AF (or at least in some ways depending on the settings). The R5 C is going to squeeze out a little more DR and detail and will be more robust in post (more than the R6 II), but depending on how you grade the footage the difference in quality might not be noticeable to many.

Comment

Working...
                              X