Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon R5 Firmware 1.4 is out with 8K 30p ProResRAW over HDMI, dual card recording..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bassman2003
    replied
    That is quite a detailed review!

Leave a comment:

• DLD
    replied
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2021/09/...actually-work/

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Maybe check if that overheating control setting is still on.

Leave a comment:

• boosh
    replied
    No real changes in variables from how I usually shoot to be honest. 25fps, 4k HQ output to a Ninja, no card in the card slot. It was a warmer day but no direct sunlight and this is the UK so I say warmer day but maybe 22 degrees Celsius inside a house. Maybe some of the camera settings changed when I did the firmware update, like they automatically reset themselves, that's allI can think of.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Interesting. Personally IDK, but I wouldn't trust the R5 anymore for anything longer than a few minutes (at least in 8K and HQ).

Maybe someone else will chime in but it would probably be best to add more details like resolution and framerate and weather conditions, location, etc.

Presumably it was 24p/25p and not hot and not in direct sunlight and nothing else changed from the previous times, which is why you're asking this question, but best to know for anyone reading.

FWIW, it wouldn't be the first time in history a FW update has negatively affected something's performance (but not saying it did).

Leave a comment:

• boosh
    replied
    No, only to external recorder, same as I'd been doing previously pre-firmware within issues. No card in the camera at all in fact.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    You weren't recording internally at the same time, were you? [You wouldn't be able to if the output is set up correctly.]

Leave a comment:

• boosh
    replied
    Has anyone else updated their firmware on their R5? I used mine today for a long interview for the first time since the firmware and suffered overheating when out putting to an Atomos Ninja V after about 20 minutes. Very strange as I've run loads of long hour plus interviews from the R5 to my Ninja-V pre-firmware with no overheating issues. Anyone else suffered the same fate since updating the firmware? I ended up switching the camera to a lower quality 4k and it ran for the rest of the shoot luckily but disheartened by the overheating for sure.

Leave a comment:

• DLD
    replied
    And, according to ProAV, no overheating.

Leave a comment:

• Canon R5 Firmware 1.4 is out with 8K 30p ProResRAW over HDMI, dual card recording..

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/cons...?type=firmware

Firmware Version 1.4.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:
    1. Adds support for outputting 8K/30p/10-bit video signals for ProRes RAW recording to ATOMOS's Ninja V+ recorder* via HDMI.
    * If you have any questions about ATOMOS products, please contact ATOMOS directly.
    * Please note that the recorder may become hot.
    2. Adds support for movie recording when the camera is connected to the CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S or CN-E70-200mm T4.4 L IS KAS S EF cinema lenses.
    * Still photography shooting is possible however performance is not guaranteed.
    * Movie shooting in vertical position is possible however performance is not guaranteed.
    * External power supply is required for AF operation during servo zoom operation. When there is no external power supply, AF operation is activated only when the servo zoom is not in use.
    3. Adds simultaneous movie recording capability on card 1 and card 2, however RAW movies and RAW(Light) movies cannot be recorded simultaneously on card 1 and card 2.
    4. Adds support for the VPG 400 (Video Performance Guarantee Profile), a standard based on the CFexpress 2.0 specification.
    5. Improves operation stability when using the RF400mm F2.8 L IS USM and RF600mm F4 L IS USM.
    6. Fixes an issue in which, during HDMI connection, if the camera's screen turns off, a zebra pattern is displayed via the HDMI output.
    7. Fixes an issue in which sufficient image stabilization effects may not be attained immediately after the start of shooting.
Working...
X