• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• markr041
    replied
    It's 8K!

https://youtu.be/SnWMiAH61sU

Look at 1:45 for what 8K resolution does (even if you view the 8K version on a 1080 or 4K screen).

I know, but there are other benefits - panning and zooming and cropping for 4K from 8K.

Leave a comment:

• Clermond
    replied
    Originally posted by stupla View Post
    ...My only reservation with the R5 is the overheating. It good to read that you've not had any issues with it!..
    Overheating has become the common expression but in fact it does not overheat. For my
    understanding overheating means the camera shuts down and you cannot shoot anymore.
    But that's not the fact.

In 4K standard it doesn't overheat at all. I find the image pretty good and way more than only usable.
    You will see a difference if you put HQ and standard in 4K 100% side by side but honestly who does that in the daily work?
    This is for youtube guys who make their living from pixel peeping and making downsides of cameras more spectacular than they are.
    There's just one thing you have to consider: if you use the camera for while and it has become warm you cannot shoot HQ and HFR anyore.
    You's still good with 4K standard and stills without a limit (except 30min file length)

I find the form factor of the R5 more handy especially for gimbal work

Here is B-Roll from day1 = July 31 even before firmware improvement.
    35C on the field. All handheld or with Crane3 gimbal, 24-105 EF
    A mix of 25 / 50 /100p, aerials by Mavic2 Pro 00:43 is a drone shot too,
    01:15 GoPro7

https://youtu.be/8EiHkr8KgQA

In the meanwhile I have replaced my EF 16-35 1st gen with the 15-35 RF but I will keep all my other EF lenses.
    AF works great. Even with the 50mm 1.2L is perfect on the R5 while it was not so great with 5DIV.

btw even Philipp Bloom has changed his mind about the R5

Leave a comment:

• Peter C.
    replied
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X1u-9YqrIJc

Leave a comment:

• Bassman2003
    replied
    Yes, it is a tough choice with a lot of moving parts. The video above shows that these two cameras are virtually identical for a lot of uses. But, one is the future (mirrorless) and one is the past. While the EF lenses will probably never go away, the RF lenses are staying. I am considering the Panasonic S-series but the same not-so-great situation exists with adapting Canon lenses.

I feel your pain. The only way out is if Canon releases a firmware update that addresses the overheating and has C-LOG3 which enhances the recorded dynamic range. Or a battery grip is invented that offers some thermal escape and solves the problem. Then the choice is clear for the R5 imho.

Leave a comment:

• stupla
    replied
    Thanks for all this.

I think the size of the R5 is appealing to me, although I do love the form factor of the 1DX mark iii, my ageing limbs are starting to suffer lugging all my gear about. My only reservation with the R5 is the overheating. It good to read that you've not had any issues with it. I don't imagine that I'd use the 8K much though I do like the sound of 4K HQ, which also seems to make the camera overheat. The stills that come out the camera look stunning, which is also a consideration for me.

I was thinking of the Sony A7S iii, the video reviews seem to be exceptional and the photos look pretty decent if using for web and smaller prints. I'd probably go for that but seems to be issues with Canon glass at the moment in video autofocus which is a shame for me, having mostly Canon glass.

The idea of having to swap lens systems fills me with dread, both in time and money.

I reckon all these cameras are probably exceptional and I'd be happy with any of them!!

Leave a comment:

• Clermond
    replied
    I am shooting since day one (29 July) with the R5 with no issues at all.
    As a hybrid shooter of stills and video the 45MP and the stills image quality is a dream come true. But also in video it pairs very nicely with the C300iii. Flip screen plus AF in 60p/120p is priceless for me. Overheating isn't an issue as I have two R5 plus a C3000 - YMMV

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Originally posted by stupla View Post
    Interested to hear how the images from 1dX iii and R5 are against each other.
    Exactly the same...no one would ever tell the difference, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Teddy_Dem
    replied
    I haven't used either of the two cameras, but you could take a look at the video below as it may be helpful for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMXM5zqbErA

Leave a comment:

• stupla
    replied
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It's mostly 25p and 50p, I'd be recording in with a little 120p now and again. I read that the A7S iii is considerably better that both these Canon's in lowlight (which I do shoot in), so was considering the Sony just for that really but when I heard the continuous autofocus won't work, I've almost ruled it out as I can't really afford to invest in new glass.

Interested to hear how the images from 1dX iii and R5 are against each other.

Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Which resolution/framerate are you most interested in?

If it's the highest-quality 4K then you'll still eventually run into overheating (especially in 4K/60p) although they did improve it a bit. The 1DX Mark III would be very familiar to you coming from the 1DC.

a7SIII AF is ideal with E-mount glass...otherwise there is no point in using the camera with continuous, reliable AF (IMO).

Leave a comment:

• stupla
    started a topic Images from Canon r5 and Canon 1DX mark iii

Images from Canon r5 and Canon 1DX mark iii

Hi,

Hope that everyone has had a peaceful time over these holidays.

I'm solo shooter and been using a Canon 1DC as a B cam - and sometimes a A cam on certain jobs. I enjoy the ability to take beautiful video images, along with amazing still pictures. I still use the 1DC a lot and still love it however I'm really needing something with decent autofocus now.

I've been looking at the R5 and Canon 1DX iii. I'm aware of the overheating issues on the R5 on the 4K HQ and 8K ( although I can't imagine I'd ever shoot in 8K for anything) but wondered if anyone had any experience of using these "in the field" and how they both performed/compared.

I was also looking at the Sony A7S iii but then read that Canon glass doesn't auto focus that well on Sony cameras in video???

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
Working...
X