Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon R6—Anyone buying one for B-Cam/Gimbal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NorBro
    replied
    R5's non-HQ 4K is pixel-binned/line-skipped on purpose.

Leave a comment:

• shrigg
    replied
    Originally posted by jcadge View Post
    For interviews where I slate and let the cameras run I don't use 4K HQ.

I did a bunch of tests in my studio, 4K HQ etc.. yes there is a slight difference, but overall the 4k at 29.97 is acceptable, it never overheated on a job
    The R6’s 4K is better than the R5’s non-HQ 4K, making it the arguably better choice for 4K footage, especially now that it has CLOG3. If only it had all-I… although editing on an M1 Mac isn’t bad

Leave a comment:

• jcadge
    replied
    For interviews where I slate and let the cameras run I don't use 4K HQ.

I did a bunch of tests in my studio, 4K HQ etc.. yes there is a slight difference, but overall the 4k at 29.97 is acceptable, it never overheated on a job.

With B-roll on ronin I will switch to HQ because my arms aren't that strong. and shoot B-roll with 1DX Mark ll too. Clog3 in R5 is great, don't have that with 1DX.

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    Do you ever run into overheating problems, Jeff?

Leave a comment:

• jcadge
    replied
    I use the R5 as a B camera with my C300ll for interviews and they match well, filming with Clog 3 and Cinema Gamut . I have a couple of RF lenses, the nifty fifty and the 15-35mm for hand held or Ronin work with the R5. For interviews I use my EF lenses with adapter, the adapter has the ND wheel great for filming outdoor interviews, love the look of the 85mm 1.4 shooting at f2, auto focus on R5 is amazing , works well when doing one man band 2 camera shoots.

Jeff Cadge
    Cadge Productions Inc.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    Aha my bad

Leave a comment:

• morgan_moore
    replied
    Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

AF/MF toggle
    That is not the name of the 'feature' Im using - its called something like 'AF pause'. Like I said Im not sure that then turns on manual. It is just an AF lock. Im not sure which if any button would take your from AF to MF - yes you can do that in page 473 of the menu but on an assigned button Im less sure!

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post

I have focus acive/inactive (cant think of the stupid term) mappedd to the rear wheel centre button.
    AF/MF toggle

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Maybe...but some of that text goes back as far as 2016 from a quick search.

Based on their syntax and using Nikon and RED as examples, it's possible that piece of text was even from the first Shogun (2014).

https://forum.nikonrumors.com/discus...kon-and-atomos

Resources online are usually recycled for a long time (even though it says the Atomos ZD article was updated 7 months ago...but that could also mean a few words).

Leave a comment:

• drummondb
    replied
    This is from a support page from Atomos:

The majority of cameras (HD-SDI or HDMI) will output a 60i signal when set to Record/output 24P mode. This is perfectly normal, as not many cameras actually output 24P (Nikon and RED will). Most Sony, Panasonic and Canon cameras output a 60i signal which has the 24P signal embedded in it - this is known as 3:2 pulldown
    Lines up with my experiences. Only problem is Canon seems to have screwed something up on the R cams. Atomos page here:

https://atomos.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/...tomos-recorder

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Just wanted to add that I have used many Atomos recorders (and VAs), and I never had to engage or set up any pulldown settings.

If by any chance this is a process that happens automatically then it could very well be that I have gone the last 8 years not even knowing it...because 24p was always 24p for me from every camera I used one with.

(I've never used the C100 with a recorder.)

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    I am not positive what Canon exactly does in all of their cameras, but from a technological standpoint I would think that practice most likely ended around 2012/2013 probably with the C100.

That is very old technology and it's not necessary with modern equipment. It's probably still used in television though.

Leave a comment:

• drummondb
    replied
    Originally posted by NorBro View Post
    You shouldn't need any pulldown...should be pure 24p into the recorder.

I would be surprised if they limited it to a 60p output in 1080p, but I guess at the same time not that surprised.
    As far as I know, Canon has usually embedded 24p and 30p in a 60i stream for HD over HDMI. That's how the C100's work.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    You shouldn't need any pulldown...should be pure 24p into the recorder.

I would be surprised if they limited it to a 60p output in 1080p, but I guess at the same time not that surprised.

Leave a comment:

• drummondb
    replied
    Originally posted by NorBro View Post
    Are you sure you're not in the HFR mode by any chance?

Also maybe check the HDMI output menu settings?
    Pretty sure. C100mkII works fine with the pulldown settings on a Ninja V. But no matter what I do, I can't change pulldown settings with the R6 via HDMI when in HD (not 4K). I've seen some others say the same thing. I'd need to call Atomos and/or Canon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X