Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone test the FF Rokinon/Samyang 35mm f/1.2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only lens on my Pocket is a Rok 20mm DS.

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
      But it never hurts to obsessively research...
      Especially lately. have some time to think about options. Many of the new lenses are cheap and good, but don't have an exhaustive collection.

For example, if you go the Zeiss vintage route you have a lot of choices in lens types. 8mm s16, cheap Contax options, Standard speeds, super speeds. then the spectrum shift, from MKii to UP to Supreme to MP with the CP/CZ, Radiance, and Otus in between. Not to mention the growing family for modern stills and hybrid cameras. An insane spherical family of lenses.

Or, SLR Magic APO has 4 lenses. for around $5K

We've got options.
      Last edited by James0b57; 05-07-2020, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
        Only lens on my Pocket is a Rok 20mm DS.
        Cool - how do you like that one? I've never tried it. I wish it were a 1.5 but a 1.9 at 20mm is pretty great. It's hard for me to justify that purchase already having the 24 and then the 16. Oh, if I could have all the lenses...
        www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

It's the sweet spot as far as an everyday on S35.

Just a bit wider than a normal 35mm FOV to squeeze in a bit more.

Like the CFast cards, I repurposed it for the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by James0b57 View Post
            Especially lately. have some time to think about options. Many of the new lenses are cheap and good, but don't have an exhaustive collection.

For example, if you go the Zeiss vintage route you have a lot of choices in lens types. 8mm s16, cheap Contax options, Standard speeds, super speeds. then the spectrum shift, from MKii to UP to Supreme to MP with the CP/CZ, Radiance, and Otus in between. Not to mention the growing family for modern stills and hybrid cameras. An insane spherical family of lenses.

Or, SLR Magic APO has 4 lenses. for around $5K

We've got options.
            This is all true.

I'm not super well-acquainted with real cine glass. I used to AC and became familiar with CP.2s and CN-Es and superspeeds and RED primes. But I wasn't personally shooting with them.

As an owner/operator (and even the narrative stuff I shoot typically uses my gear) I'm more familiar with the stills stuff and the Rokinon "cine" lenses.

One thing I'll say about vintage glass - I generally think that modern coatings are objectively superior. I like the softness of some older glass, but the old coatings make them hard to use in backlit situations and also lend a dated low-contrast feel to the image, which may or may not be your goal.

SLR Magic APO lenses look nice. I haven't used them. But you're still talking about a higher price point than I'm invested in. I bought 6 Rok DS lenses (16/24/35/50/85/135) for like $1800 total used.

I have Canon L 24-70 and 70-200 for a more commercial/clean look. If I wanted something more clinical I would be happy to get the sigma 18-35 and 50-100 and stay on a cropped sensor (only because a full set of sigma art f/1.4s would be much more expensive).
            www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

SLR Magic APO lenses look nice. I haven't used them. But you're still talking about a higher price point than I'm invested in. I bought 6 Rok DS lenses (16/24/35/50/85/135) for like $1800 total used.
              And that's pretty great. The DS has a pretty good range. enough to count as a legitimate set. And even though I think that I won't like them, every time I have, they perform very well. If they were vintage, I might actually might envy them. I should re-evaluate them again. Put them up against some of the other lenses I have been considering owning.

Comment

And that's pretty great. The DS has a pretty good range. enough to count as a legitimate set. And even though I think that I won't like them, every time I have, they perform very well. If they were vintage, I might actually might envy them. I should re-evaluate them again. Put them up against some of the other lenses I have been considering owning.
                If the Rokinons were not plastic, made in Korea, and manufactured with less quality control than some other brands, they would be far, far more expensive. Granted, those are each significant issues. But the point is that the optics themselves are quite fine. It's a look. And I personally prefer it to the Sigma look, at least.

But the DS are not truly cine lenses. They have geared focus and aperture rings, and that's great. And they are supposedly color matched, so at least the manufacturer is trying to unify the look. The attempt to color match is one reason I went with them. And the matching focus gear placement is nice. But they haven't been rehoused and engineered to lessen breathing vs the regular stills lenses. I don't remember thinking that they breath awfully but I'm not sure.
                www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Yeah, Sigmas aren’t my favourite. I can see the appeal, and i really want to like them, but i don’t.

But gosh, used Rokinon DS has got to be one of the best bang for buck right now.

This was all Rokinon on A7sii. Test footage.

Comment

Yeah, Sigmas aren’t my favourite. I can see the appeal, and i really want to like them, but i don’t.

But gosh, used Rokinon DS has got to be one of the best bang for buck right now.

This was all Rokinon on A7sii. Test footage.
                    Your shots? Looks nice. Maybe a touch more distortion in the close-ups than some lenses but I can't quite rightly tell and in any case that can be a nice look. But honestly I think they've got a pretty look and punch way above their weight. I think they've got warmth and character and unless you want something more clinical, they're a great budget option. I mean, the Xeens use the same optical formulas. Yes, there are important differences, but...
                    www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Your shots? Looks nice. Maybe a touch more distortion in the close-ups than some lenses but I can't quite rightly tell and in any case that can be a nice look. But honestly I think they've got a pretty look and punch way above their weight. I think they've got warmth and character and unless you want something more clinical, they're a great budget option. I mean, the Xeens use the same optical formulas. Yes, there are important differences, but...
                      Thanks, yeah, but they were just testing out the A7sii + Rokinon combo. Was seeing what kind of look it could get. This was likely the year the A7sii came out. Had to test the low light.

Yeah, i am kind of surprised the Xeens are the same thing, but also, i’ve never shot on a Xeen, and was always happy with the DS results.

I get the same sort of vibe on the lens characteristics that you describe.

Comment

Working...
                      X