EOS R Banding Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS R Banding Problems

Is anyone having problems with banding in the EOS R? The attached photo is a frame capture from a video shot recently, banding all over the place on projection screen in the back.

Shot in 4k, 30p, 1/60th shutter. I have the latest firmware 1.6 installed.
    Attached Files

Only in 4K with flickering light sources. 1080p appears to use a different shutter system.

The workaround was to adjust shutter to reduce or eliminate the banding (or shoot 1080p). The EOS R in 4K is the first camera I’ve seen with this kind of issue (vs. 5D2, 3, 80D, C300.2, 1DX.2, GH4, FS700, A7S1,2, iPhones etc.). Nevertheless, prefer shooting with this camera over the C300.2 and 1DX.2 for handheld work.

Comment

Originally posted by jcs View Post
      Only in 4K with flickering light sources. 1080p appears to use a different shutter system.

The workaround was to adjust shutter to reduce or eliminate the banding (or shoot 1080p). The EOS R in 4K is the first camera I’ve seen with this kind of issue (vs. 5D2, 3, 80D, C300.2, 1DX.2, GH4, FS700, A7S1,2, iPhones etc.). Nevertheless, prefer shooting with this camera over the C300.2 and 1DX.2 for handheld work.
      I had a second EOS R on the same shoot set to 1080 30p, 1/60 with the same banding problem. My assistant told me he tried several shutter speeds during the shoot and the problem got better with a slower shutter but not completely resolved. Luckily the main camera was a video camera and it was clean. I just did a test by pointing the camera at a computer monitor playing video and the footage does not have banding neither in 1080 or 4k. This problem seems to exist mainly with projectors!!

Comment

In my building in the hallway 1080p doesn't flicker, simply changing to 4K (no other changes) results in major flicker with very sharply defined banding edges. Slower shutter does seem to work best in dealing with the issue (1/30 at 30, 1/24 at 24 etc. (360 degree shutter)).

Comment

Originally posted by jcs View Post
          In my building in the hallway 1080p doesn't flicker, simply changing to 4K (no other changes) results in major flicker with very sharply defined banding edges. Slower shutter does seem to work best in dealing with the issue (1/30 at 30, 1/24 at 24 etc. (360 degree shutter)).
          The projector in question is probably a single chip DLP with a rotating color wheel, so this is likely a rolling shutter artifact similar to what happens with flash banding. Can you try it with a 3-LCD projector instead?

Comment

The rolling shutter on the R depends on the settings. The 4K and cropped 1080p modes both have significant rolling shutter and will pick up flickering easier than the other modes. Usually, reducing the shutter angle helps but the rolling shutter on the R is so bad and the available exposure times are so limited that you might not be able to find a shutter angle that compensates for the lights.

Comment

I noticed something similar as well when using a Optima DLP projector in my music videos. Dropping the shutter down to 1/40 seemed to fix it mostly for me.

Comment

Working...
              X